Josh Simpson

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still have Mora. The club is just bizarrely deciding not to play him.

Hawthorn could have played Brian Lake yesterday. Clarkson just bizarrely decided not to play him.

Clarkson admitted his decision cost them the game. Was it therefore a mistake? No. As Clarkson said:

"We're more prepared to lose a game of footy than we are prepared to lose a player that's not conditioned properly to play"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-21/cats-no-underdogs

The point I'm trying to make is that you can't judge every decision by the short-term results, because adherence to standards and principle above short-term expediency is what Freo is about these days. The sort of backbone this implies may not be to everyone's taste. But for myself, being of a somewhat stoic persuasion, I find it difficult not to admire.

Taking leave from footy could be for all sorts of reasons and not necessarily disciplinary, IF and this is totally hypothetical, my family member had been bashed and or left in a burning car on weekend and I was looked upon in my community as a leader then family/blood would come first, professional sport second, none could argue that this would not be a terribly difficult decision to make, esp as a 20yo who just wants to play footy

I guess there is some sort of fight going on internally between the key people about the approach to take. Someone big might be calling for his head. Seems over the top to me if so.
Caterina
I think they were expecting something ,anything from him and got a no show .
This how a lot of indigenous kids behave .
They go into their shell and until they have a good talking to by one of their elder family members or someone they relate to . this is normal for them .
I think he would be better off if he got with his original junior footy coach and had a talk with him , we have a chance otherwise he may feel too ashamed to front up to Fremantle .

The point I'm trying to make is that you can't judge every decision by the short-term results, because adherence to standards and principle above short-term expediency is what Freo is about these days. The sort of backbone this implies may not be to everyone's taste. But for myself, being of a somewhat stoic persuasion, I find it difficult not to admire.

I understand that but I really doubt it's conditioning in Mora's case. He had LARS in January 2013 and has been back out on the track since June 2013. There wouldn't be anyone at the club in better physical shape.

Yeah that's not looking good. They're not including him or his management on the discussions.

He's a hairs breadth from having his arse out the door
Couldn't the "we" referred to in the article be read to include Simpson and his manager?

General manager of football operations Chris Bond said today: "The club has advised Josh Simpson and his management that we will be having ongoing discussions throughout the week with regards to the issues at hand.

I understand that but I really doubt it's conditioning in Mora's case. He had LARS in January 2013 and has been back out on the track since June 2013. There wouldn't be anyone at the club in better physical shape.

As Clarkson explained re Lake (who was physically fit to go), it's 100% not fitness or physical conditioning but match conditioning that is the issue.

I guess there is some sort of fight going on internally between the key people about the approach to take. Someone big might be calling for his head. Seems over the top to me if so.
I'd be disappointed if that were the case.

What's giving you that impression?

Isn't it equally open to assume that having heard nothing from Josh and his management in the intervening days the club want to make their own internal decisions as to how far they are willing or able to go based on the facts as they currently stand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't the "we" referred to in the article be read to include Simpson and his manager?

Yeah, I read it like that. I'd me amazed if his management aren't involved, particularly if it involves some sort of medium to long term suspension from the club.

As for 'internal discussions'. I don't think we should jump to any big conclusions as to who might be pulling in what direction. They will be just taking their time to make sure that everybody that matters is on the same page when a final decision is made, and no doubt they will be working towards the best interests of both the the club and Josh, and hopefully those two ends overlap significantly.

Taking leave from footy could be for all sorts of reasons and not necessarily disciplinary, IF and this is totally hypothetical, my family member had been bashed and or left in a burning car on weekend and I was looked upon in my community as a leader then family/blood would come first, professional sport second, none could argue that this would not be a terribly difficult decision to make, esp as a 20yo who just wants to play footy
If something that severe happened we would know about it. Its a combination of being a father of 2, away from family and community and not being used to the AFL lifestyle.

Ross very positive on wanting to keep Josh , the door is still half open but it will all depend on how the talks go .
RTB and the club are on his side but for how long anyones guess .

Just saw RTB's interview - positive, but very non-committal, which is what I expected.

I think all in all the club would prefer to hang on to Josh if possible, but only if they can all come to an understanding on expected behaviour and the minimum standards of professionalism and commitment they need from all players including Josh, otherwise there's not really any reason to continue and persevere with the relationship between Josh and the club, no matter how talented he may be.

The club and the playing group need to know they can count on Josh, both on-field and off-field. Right now they can't afford to.

The highest priority for the club at the moment is the game on Friday. It's a short week. Review today then only a couple of days before we play north. More than happy for Josh's situation to go on the backburner for a bit, give him some time to reflect and decide whether he really wants to be an afl footballer and accept all that comes with that.

LOL....I know.

Nah,I've made a couple of posts pages ago.

Does it really ****ing matter?
To clarify, it was my first post in this thread.

Obviously it matters more to some people than others. I don't regularly pick on people for spelling I just thought it was particularly funny. You don't have to take offense though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back