Julie Bishop

Remove this Banner Ad

I know you are joking now!
I get it!

You're a funny guy.
If was in the army and the government said your going to Africa to fight Ebola, i would be deserting my post so fast you wouldn't see me for dust. I should have a say if i was in the army where i was to be sent, especially if doesn't relate to what i signed up for which is to fight any military conflicts.

This is crazy , i feel sorry for the army personnel they didn't sign up for this. What if they get Ebola , they should sue the government for millions for sending them into harm's way. Only volunteers should go, no one else.

The Brigadier that was interviewed didn't have the same opinion as you express. He stated that if they got save one life it is worth it.
Volunteers from the Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders (MSF) should also be commended.

Gough was right, no photo opportunity in sending volunteers, army personnel to fight Ebola as there is in sending soldiers to kill in a war that is not our fight.

The same soldiers that have lost the extra one day leave from their current wage negotiations as it was going to cost $17 million. Here is a tip Tony, if you remove the stupid grant for marriage counseling and chaplains in Schools you can give that one day back.

If was in the army and the government said your going to Africa to fight Ebola, i would be deserting my post so fast you wouldn't see me for dust. I should have a say if i was in the army where i was to be sent, especially if doesn't relate to what i signed up for which is to fight any military conflicts.
I don't believe that you're not joking...

You could not possibly have said this;
they should sue the government for millions for sending them into harm's way.
And not be joking...

You have to be...

The same soldiers that have lost the extra one day leave from their current wage negotiations as it was going to cost $17 million. Here is a tip Tony, if you remove the stupid grant for marriage counseling and chaplains in Schools you can give that one day back.
Is that true? I've not heard about that.

I think you have the wrong idea, armies also help in natural disasters, including fighting infectious diseases.
There is a word for what you would do.

I don't believe that you're not joking...

You could not possibly have said this;

And not be joking...

You have to be...
I stand by my comments that they are not ridiculous, soldiers are not the playthings to be sent to anywhere in the world when a crisis breaks out , how about giving them a say if they want to go or not , Ps got to go out so don't get offended if i don't respond to your posts for awhile

I stand by my comments that they are not ridiculous, soldiers are not the playthings to be sent to anywhere in the world when a crisis breaks out , how about giving them a say if they want to go or not , Ps got to go out so don't get offended if i don't respond to your posts for awhile
Yep, you're joking!
You had me tricked for a while!

What, like a war?
Aussie soldiers should only be sent if Australia is in danger, so no they should not have gone to Iraq, Afghanistan, East Timor , Solomon Islands, PNG, or any other turd of a backwater that i may have missed

Aussie soldiers should only be sent if Australia is in danger, so no they should not have gone to Iraq, Afghanistan, East Timor , Solomon Islands, PNG, or any other turd of a backwater that i may have missed

You may want to read up on realpolitik and how the US alliance works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol @ sending the army in to "fight" Ebola.
It's more about building the infrastructure to help countries effected by Ebola fight it, building hospitals and providing support services, it's not like these countries are blessed with them. It would, I imagine be similar to support offered by our army to the countries effected by the boxing day tsunami ten years ago. Some medical staff could be involved but deployment is needed to help with logistics.

It would, I imagine be similar to support offered by our army to the countries effected by the boxing day tsunami ten years ago. Some medical staff could be involved but deployment is needed to help with logistics.

Its a highly infectious disease transferred from person to person, Gough. As more people get it the rate of infection increases expedentially, as in the origin of phase "going viral"?!?. The only way the army could be effective is napalmin infected areas from 10,000m. Otherwise quarantine the whole joint - nobody in or out.

Last edited:
Countries already sending assistance: Cuba, China, USA, U.K, are they sending their own people to a certain death?
Australia is today meeting with the chief medical officer and state and territory chief health officers via teleconference.
This is a global problem and needs are global response or isn't this government interested?
Surprised Julie is quiet on this and leaving it to the likes of Morrison and Abbott to comment. I can understand Dutton commenting but Morrison?
Morrison stated: “We believe very strongly it would be the responsibility of Australia to respond in our region,” he said. What are we doing in Iraq?

If it is a matter of controlling the outbreak, here is an idea, I don't think that the Ocean Protector is busy at the moment, why not send it there and outfit it as a quarantine ship?

So we just turn away and pretended none of this happening, that worked so well with AIDS didn't it? I wish we had learnt a few lessons from the early days of that crisis in the 80s. I guess when it's gays or junkies, or West Africans dying it's not a problem, it's when the s**t hits the fan and the disease jumps into the more mainstream population, as Ebola seems to have done and we'll all wring our hands, and wish that more had been done to counter it in the first place.

Its a highly infectious disease transferred from person to person, Gough. As more people get it the rate of infection increases expedentially, as in the origin of phase "going viral"?!?. The only way the army could be effective is napalmin infected areas from 10,000m. Otherwise quarantine the whole joint - nobody in or out.
Not that viral.
It is transferred through contact with bodily fluids. The rapid spread in West Africa is partly due to traditional burial practices and partly due to lack of appropriate medical infrastructure.

Also, its high and rapid death rate works against it spreading that quickly.

Fantastic to see that the old...

"f***you Jack, I'm alright" line of thinking is still alive and well in our society.

:(

It transcends refugees, health emergencies...you name it.

As long as I am ok, and what "we" are doing doesn't affect "me", then everyone else can go and get stuffed.

Nothing funny about the disease, whats bizarre/stupid/funny is the thought that the army going to "fight" infection.

not-funny.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back