Discussion Sports greatest uniform match ups

Remove this Banner Ad

1) West Coast were formed to represent WA in the VFL.
2) Heritage round 2007 was 70's themed, so we needed something to wear; and what better than the original 1977 SoO kit.
3) If we were allowed to back in 1986, I think the West Coast we all know today would wear black and gold.
Just like Adelaide were formed to represent SA in the AFL ;)

There was already a team in 1986 who wore black and gold. Richmond.
Go back and read point #3 of that post you originally quoted. Read it a few times, actually.

"If we were allowed to" implies that we were denied permission. I'm well aware of the reasons why, but it's not what I was referring to.

Just like Adelaide were formed to represent SA in the AFL ;)
They were, technically. I had no problems with their proposed SoO jumper earlier this year.

Any match up where Geelong or North are in white shorts as the home (or away) team and the dark team wears dark shorts, not white.

yeah, Geelong in white shorts vs Port in all black looks tops. Especially at Adelaide Oval. :p Kardinia, somehow it's not as good! Also when we play Sydney, both teams in their full home kits.

13382.jpg

13335.jpg

13339.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Collingwood adopted my two home guernseys proposal, that could be worn against someone like the Gold Coast or West Coast in the wings.

Instead we'll be lucky to see it at the occasional heritage round.

Geelong and Collingwood never use this combo anymore!

http://bit.ly/dwrxV1
I went to that absolute ripper of a game with a mate, back in year 7 it was. We were sat 5 rows back on the bottom level of the Southern Stand, had the sun in our face for most of the afternoon, yet surprisingly had no trouble at all telling the teams apart.

I went to that absolute ripper of a game with a mate, back in year 7 it was. We were sat 5 rows back on the bottom level of the Southern Stand, had the sun in our face for most of the afternoon, yet surprisingly had no trouble at all telling the teams apart.

Yeh I went as well... was a good game at a packed MCG. Funny how people could tell teams apart for nearly 100 years.

Having said that I totally understand why there is a need for clash strips. How the AFL comes up with some combos though is just baffling.

Yeh I went as well... was a good game at a packed MCG. Funny how people could tell teams apart for nearly 100 years.

Having said that I totally understand why there is a need for clash strips. How the AFL comes up with some combos though is just baffling.
Makes no sense for the team with the darker guernsey to wear white shorts.

Makes no sense for the team with the darker guernsey to wear white shorts.

Exactly.

The reason, simplistically, that we need clash guernseys in 2015 when we didn't need them in 1965 is that

a) The game is about 10 times faster and more congested than the glorified kick and catch of the 60s and 70s

b) There are now 6 more teams to avoid a clash with.

The white shorts rule was suitable back in the day, but doesn't make any sense now given that all teams have a clash strip. Your shorts should always be the same colour as your primary guernsey colour apart from where it is historically significant to do otherwise (North and Geelong). Collingwood should never, ever play in their black based guernsey with white shorts. It looks stupid and it's pointless.

If this means we're regularly having colour on colour shorts match ups, good. That's good for the look of the game. If West Coast wear the wings to Adelaide to play Port, they should be wearing royal shorts, because royal and black don't clash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back