Discussion Sports greatest uniform match ups

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly.

The reason, simplistically, that we need clash guernseys in 2015 when we didn't need them in 1965 is that

a) The game is about 10 times faster and more congested than the glorified kick and catch of the 60s and 70s

b) There are now 6 more teams to avoid a clash with.

The white shorts rule was suitable back in the day, but doesn't make any sense now given that all teams have a clash strip. Your shorts should always be the same colour as your primary guernsey colour apart from where it is historically significant to do otherwise (North and Geelong). Collingwood should never, ever play in their black based guernsey with white shorts. It looks stupid and it's pointless.

If this means we're regularly having colour on colour shorts match ups, good. That's good for the look of the game. If West Coast wear the wings to Adelaide to play Port, they should be wearing royal shorts, because royal and black don't clash.
I've always found hilarious that the shorts have become more sacred than the guernsey.

1410148311277.jpg
This is a terrible match up made good by a legendary jumper

This is a terrible match up made good by a legendary jumper

No way, Richmond Guernsey is so close to their classic traditional even the AFL said it doesn't provide a contrast, so for me practically, 2 classic traditional jumpers from 2 iconic clubs. Even looked good with us in white shorts!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really sh!ts me how in finals the above doesn't apparently clash yet in the regular season it does.
It clashed in the 2003 finals but not in the 2006 finals. I have no doubt in 2006 it was because West Coast finished higher but didn't in 2003. Having said that, Adelaide finished higher in 2005 but wore white shorts with the away jumper when they played the Eagles in Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back