Jumper Number Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Crisp moved to 5 is a good sign the club has faith in him being a key player for us at some stage.

I'd like to agree, but Retzlaff...

Perfect antidote to the #1 curse, give it to a bloke who really wanted to come here :thumbsu:

Hope Crisp can live up to that number, like him a lot and I hope he finds his niche.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the #20 gets a break for the year. Well deserved rest.

good move to give the number 20 a rest for the year as a mark of respect to the great one.

it should only be reactivated with blacky's approval of a worthy successor ...

I hope Tommy Rockliff never changes from his #38.

Somehow, it just seems right for him.

I'm with you, he has said he has no interest in changing numbers and wants to make #38 his own. I wonder if there has ever been a Brownlow Medalist who has worn #38??

PLAYERS are set to wear guernseys with their names written across the back during this year's home and away season. The innovation will reportedly involve a one-week trial at some point during the 2014 Toyota AFL Premiership season.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou told ABC Radio that he was keen to see players' names on jumpers. Demetriou said he believed such a move would help the game increase its following in New South Wales and Queensland. "I'm actually enthusiastic about it but I keep getting the arguments against it, which I don't buy," Demetriou said.

Former Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy has led the charge for names to be added to the backs of jumpers. It is believed that the Giants and fellow expansion club Gold Coast are strong supporters of the concept.

Link - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-30/trial-for-names-on-jumpers

I've long thought it was only a matter of time.

Link - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-30/trial-for-names-on-jumpers

I've long thought it was only a matter of time.

Shame.

Posted the same thing on the main board, but I reckon once the names go on the jumpers then over time the names will get bigger and the numbers will get smaller, and footy strips start to look more and more like other sports.

I like that AFL jumpers have their own distinctive look, and the number without the name is a part of that.

Oh well. It's hardly the most important thing we've lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back