Junction Oval (and St Kilda's potential relocation)

Remove this Banner Ad

Simonds Stadium doesn't have the nets facilities or the actual dimensions to be first class standard.
There are first class nets there next to the Geelong Cricket Ground behind the Ablett Tce, not sure on dimensions but there was an article about potential matches there during the WC and that wasn't brought up.

There are first class nets there next to the Geelong Cricket Ground behind the Ablett Tce, not sure on dimensions but there was an article about potential matches there during the WC and that wasn't brought up.

Possibly but for some reason Cricket Victoria insists that the MCG is the only first class facility in the state (I honestly believe they're being a bit tricky and they just want the government and the AFL to fork out cash on the Junction Oval). Surely if Wagga Wagga, Alice Springs and Glenelg have first class standard facilities than Victoria has more than one.

Simonds Stadium doesn't have the nets facilities or the actual dimensions to be first class standard.
i just checked the dimension of Simonds was rather surprised
170m x 115m
in comparison to the other FC grounds across the country
MCG 160m x 141m
ETIHAD 159.5m x 128.8m
ANZ 159.5m x 128.8m
Blondstone 160m x 124m
GABBA 156m x 138m
SCG 155 x 136m
WACCA 149m x 139m
Adelaide Oval 167 x 123m
North Sydney Oval 135 x 120m
taken from afl.com.au & austadium.com.au

The width of Simonds stadium was rather surprising, the long ways its the longest at 170M but width ways its the smallest at 115m,
the dimension of the oval isn't reticularly suited to cricket, which is a shame as it looks like a nice oval on TV & being a 35k seater would be a good size for cricket

Possibly but for some reason Cricket Victoria insists that the MCG is the only first class facility in the state (I honestly believe they're being a bit tricky and they just want the government and the AFL to fork out cash on the Junction Oval). Surely if Wagga Wagga, Alice Springs and Glenelg have first class standard facilities than Victoria has more than one.
I'd get the feeling its a funding grab

And in regards to the dimensions in the past for one dayers/t20s they run the pitch from goal to goal, rather than from wing to wing.

If the AFL were smart, they would build Junction Oval as a boutique oval for AFL games.

If the AFL were smart, they would build Junction Oval as a boutique oval for AFL games.

And by smart you mean 'completely and utterly idiotic'. It would cost $100 million minimum for virtually zero return.

BTW, on that article, what are 'gender specific changerooms'? Other than sans urinals, what would a specific female changeroom look like?

And by smart you mean 'completely and utterly idiotic'. It would cost $100 million minimum for virtually zero return.

Virtually no return?
The AFL recently did a study about building a third AFL venue at Visy Park or Punt Road.
The Junction Oval would be the perfect setting for this venue.
It is centrally located, it has two main public transport routes next to it and it has the ability to extend out without impacting surrounding structures.

Virtually no return?
The AFL recently did a study about building a third AFL venue at Visy Park or Punt Road.
It is centrally located, it has two main public transport routes next to it and it has the ability to extend out without impacting surrounding structures.
I wonder, though, whether a 100 year vision might require a ground at Frankston/ craigieburn/ tarneit etc. I'd love junction oval, but perhaps the Waverley visionaries weren't completely wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Virtually no return?

And it would cost $100 million plus. You want to pay for it?

Given the clubs that would want to play there would go into the 'cash strapped' category, spending mega bucks to help them out (especially when it probably wouldn't anyway) is generally not the smartest thing to do.

Virtually no return?
the new e gate, visy or punt road where the perfect locations. the AFL came up with the idea that, it would be cheaper & easier just to keep the current situation. by the time a new stadium went through designing, planning & construction , it would only be operational for a few years then the AFL would own Etihad.n waste of money.

but i do like the concept of Junction oval, VC & possibly a 3rd AFL venue.
a 25 k capacity grounds, keep cricket off the MCG, & lower drawing games played there

As the afl gets etihad as a home ground, and if it intends to keep it. There is no need to operate a smaller oval

Any smaller oval it can have built with first class facilities will energise the sport at lower levels.

This is the reason they had the blacktown oval developed. The only cost to the afl would be a couple of games a year. While gold coast and GWS are lightly followed, this is a perfect opportunity

I wonder, though, whether a 100 year vision might require a ground at Frankston/ craigieburn/ tarneit etc. I'd love junction oval, but perhaps the Waverley visionaries weren't completely wrong
they weren't. but 30 years to early, to big a stadium and a shite design of a stadium

I like the idea of a ground that is the right size and design for State cricket. Playing at the MCG - in an empty ground - is not good for the game.
What I dont know is what they are designing there. Grass banks and some seated areas? Anyone know what capacity they are planning?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back