Junior Interleague

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
What are people's thoughts on this concept with junior interleague ( development squad) starting at Under 11 Level? The process in the DRJFL is that each club nominates three from each team and then the squad gets reduced to 24 after 10 weeks of training. The team play's three games on two different days. Thoughts...

Good thing IMO. Good that the most talented kids can get tested at a higher level and train with/play against kids who are as keen on their footy and as talented as they are.

There are always arguments about selection, which players get nominated etc but that's inescapable. It's subjective.

Also a school of thought that this is too young for 'elite' representative footy given that the current push is for less of this in that age group - no finals, no premiership tables, no tackling.

There also seems to be a mindset from some people that if you can't provide it for everyone you shouldn't provide it for anyone, which I find a ridiculous mindset. Not everyone at school does extension maths programs.

Obviously need coaches who understand that these competitions exist to fast-track the skill of the players and coach accordingly, rather than it being purely about winning.

The one valid argument against these representative programs is workload. Players may have club training, school training, other representative teams, a second winter sport... just need to be mindful of not overburdending young footballers. Smart programming, realistic workloads. Value add to what they are doing.

• Banned
Kids in Under 12 and Under 11 are no longer to have a competitive inter league game. What a joke this has become my daughters under 9's netball has finals yet they aren't allowed a Interleague football game.

Carnivals up here have started at Under 14's for years ever since I was of eligible age. The only thing that's really changed is that it's basically pandering to the Gold Coast Suns Academy needs as opposed to a state team's needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back