Just a Thought Re - Malthouse.

Remove this Banner Ad

AGRESSION

All Australian
Sep 7, 2007
M.C.G.
AFL Club
Richmond
Malthouse as Senior Development coach. It could work or someone else to fill the role. Our coaching staff have grown well.
Maybe it's time to extend the second tier being - Mark Williams (the Port one :)

Here is a current list of Richmond Football Club. What do you think. How could this aspect of the club grow and get better?

DAMIEN HARDWICK Senior Coach
An uncompromising and hard-nosed defender, Hardwick played 153 games with Essendon, including the 2000 premiership, before crossing to Port Adelaide at the end of 2001. He played a further 54 games with the Power, the last of which was the 2004 premiership.

He won the Bombers’ Best and Fairest in 1998 and was named All-Australian in 2000. He represented Australia in the International Rules series in 2000 and 2001.

Hardwick started his assistant coaching career with Hawthorn in 2005 and played a significant role in the club’s premiership success last year.

He was the Hawks’ forward coach from 2005-07, and was in charge of their midfield for two seasons.
BRENDON LADE Midfield stoppage Coach
A former teammate of Coach Damien Hardwick, Lade takes up the role as ruck/midfield coach after his stellar 234-game career with Port Adelaide came to an end last year.

The big man was a member of the Power’s inaugural premiership in 2004 and is a best and fairest winner and dual All-Australian.
ROSS SMITH Defensive Analyst

After retiring as an AFL player, Smith immediately embarked on a coaching career.

He led ACT club Ainslie to a premiership in his first season as its captain-coach, in 1997, and was then involved in several successful stints at TAC Cup, VFL and AFL level, before becoming an assistant coach at Hawthorn in 2005 and was a part of their successful 2008 Premiership season.

MARK WILLIAMS Midfield Spread Coach

After three seasons at Melbourne working initially as a development coach and then as midfield coach, the former Carlton and Footscray player joined Richmond in October 2011.

Coached Sandringham to three consecutive VFL premierships from 2004-06. Looks after Richmond’s offensive structures and
its forwards.

BEN RUTTEN
Defenders coach

The 2005 All-Australian defender retired at the end of the 2014 season after 229 games with Adelaide. Has a wealth of defensive intelligence after 12-year career, and coaching knowledge after spending his latter seasons workign with the Crows' backline coach Darren Milburn.
MARK WILLIAMS Senior Development Coach
Heads up Richmond’s development program after joining the club in September 2012. Previously served as senior assistant coach at GWS, where he worked under Kevin Sheedy for two seasons.

Before that he was head coach of Port Adelaide for
11 years, leading the club to its first AFL premiership in 2004. He also coached the Power to the 2007 Grand Final, losing to Geelong, before stepping down in 2010.
GREG MELLOR Defenders Development Coach
Played 198 games for West Adelaide in the SANFL and for the past three years was head coach of West Adelaide’s Centre of Excellence. Before that, he was an assistant coach at the club to Andy Collins.

A qualified school teacher, he is responsible for the
development of the Tigers’ first and second-year players.
TIM CLARKE VFL Coach

Spent two years as a development coach at Richmond before travelling overseas in 2012. He returned in a development role and has since been appointed senior coach of Richmond’s VFL team.

Played 96 games and kicked 39 goals for Hawthorn in an AFL playing career spanning eight seasons
(2001-08).

MAX BAILEY Development Coach - Forward/Rucks

Bailey joined Richmond as a development coach just days after retiring as a premiership player with Hawthorn.

He had an eight-year career with the Hawks, where he bravely fought back from three knee reconstructions to play a key role in the Hawks’ 2013 flag. Bailey will also have a key role with Richmond’s VFL team.

ANDREW MCQUALTER Development Coach - Midfield Spread

McQualter arrived at Tigerland at the end of 2013 as a development coach, after a 94-game career with St Kilda and Gold Coast.

He played in three Grand Finals for the Saints (including the 2010 GF replay against Collingwood) in an 89-game career with them, before adding a further five games at the Suns. McQualter will also play a coaching and playing role with Richmond’s VFL team in 2014.

http://m.richmondfc.com.au/season/coaches#sthash.tUcUZfkU.dpuf

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

5xtDarC0XyqmUhD5eDK.gif

Regardless of who it is I think the role would work.
The idea was conceived whilst wondering how else we could improve apart from playing group and game plan.

Regardless of who it is I think the role would work.
The idea was conceived whilst wondering how else we could improve apart from playing group and game plan.

The likes of Rattan would also be an option.

Good wrap-up of the coaching staff. Some very interesting stuff in there for me. Just can't see Mick in any lesser position than as a senior coach at any club. In a lower position, he could make other coaching staff feel a bit insecure as if they had to watch their backs. Don't think he would like it either, playing second fiddle to anyone. Also agree with SplitWhisker that he's getting old and crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No matter how many times I read it, I just can't get my head around the fact that Max Bailey is our only forward coach.

10 career goals in 43 games. Might as well replace him with Ben Nason.

I'm happy to bring Nason back :)

he has stated not for him recently.
Yeaah they say that all the time but in this case i think the carlton job really drained him and in this part of his chapter i think media is the way to go for him. Also there is no way a record breaking coach would want to work under someone else.

No.

FFS, we are finally looking like a professional team. Dont flush that away over an inappropriate opportunistic knee jerk action.

No.

Yeaah they say that all the time but in this case i think the carlton job really drained him and in this part of his chapter i think media is the way to go for him. Also there is no way a record breaking coach would want to work under someone else.

Agree on all parts, although i wish he would just FO out of footy permanently, can't stand the bloke so him going into the media will sh!t me to tears

As we said when he got hired by Carlton; he was just collecting his retirement package while bringing Carlton down for us.

But no, mick is done for good this time. Everyone knew he was going to come back after leaving the pies because you could tell he didn't think he was finished. This time he looks happy to be out of it.

Is Robert Walls still alive? Let's bring him back too.

Even when he's sitting in front of the camera I still struggle to answer that question.....o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back