just thought I'd make a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

adolf-hitler-speech.jpg

"Looks like Charlie Chaplin innit"

The fallout of Geelong's decline continues:

Taken from my Facebook.
Geelong fan said:
: Collingwood will have to forgeit there flag once the AFL finds they cheat the salary cap, how can they have a good side then recruit JOLLY BALL AND TARRANT? WTF
Whomb said:
Back-ending contracts, bro.

Ball's first year was around $500k, and the next two are only around $150k.

Most clubs do this now so that they can sign stars later on.

Essendon are doing it now, so that we can sign Cyril next year ;)
Geelong fan said:
the afl is ****ed, i wish it was the old zone system, geelong would of won 6 flags in a row if it was and more to come. Ablett, Bartel, Kelly, Hodge, J.Browne, Higgins, Boak, Lewis, Scarlett, Maxwell, S.Thompson, Ling, Macguire ...heaps of *****, u get the idea
Whomb said:
Except the bigger, more financially successful clubs would just go back to buying the best players, so essendon and collingwood would only be further out in front.

Oh and we may as well reverse geelong's two premierships, considering they openly admitted to paying Ablett outside of the salary cap.

No response as of yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was training with us for crying out loud. We were prepared to take him in the ND..yet we don't take him anyway. It was a monumental screw up!
Yes we're all hindsight heroes, aren't we.
The more mids you pick the more likely you will get one right. We should have picked the bloke we had training with us, pretty simple really.
Again, hindsight heroics.
I would have thought it was damn simple Whomb. Why try and be "cute" and select a guy we did not have training with us? Does not make sense. Rookie drafts, should be for players you have had training with you, regardless of whether that be a midfielder, ruckman, forward, etc.
They made a judgement call to jump at Hardingham in the PSD, and apparently, go for Barlow with their first rookie pick.

They made the wrong call, history will tell.

I don't understand why you're still banging on about it over a year later, when you weren't advocating Barlow ahead of Hardingham before the actual draft.

If you've got posts stating otherwise I'll stand corrected, but otherwise..
I bet you I was saying TAKE A MIDFIELDER, I would not have cared one bit which one it was. I have always said, that as a rookie/PSD pick (if applicable) you should always look at the players you have training with your club. It is easier to gain an understanding on their strengths/weaknesses. So I will be pretty pissed if we end up going for a midfielder/player that we don't have training with us and one of the players that we did have training with us makes it. You are less likely to royally screw it up if you play it smart!
And if the club deems the player(s) training with them to be worth a rookie spot, rather than a selection in the PSD?

And if the club believes there's a player training with another club worthy of that selection?

Barlow wasn't training with Freo, yet they selected him with their first rookie selection ahead of others that were training with them.

Kind of goes against your philosophy, doesn't it? Yet that seemed to work out OK.
Pretty simple- you pick the most qualified player in the PSD then go on from there and take the rest as rookies. Fine if you want to take other players with the last couple of rookies, but the first 1-2 rookies should be for players training with you. Barlow only went to Freo becuase we screwed it up. He was training with us, we should have taken him (or any other midfielder we had training with us). It wasn't Freo being smart...it was us being stupid.
normal_NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back