Retired Justin Clarke (2011-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 Review - by BuntonRules

Justin Clarke - already a fan favourite for the Lions faithful looking for that next generation star. After spending last season as a rookie fullback in the Lions Ressies, and playing a major role in their premiership success, 2013 was expected to be a consolidation & development year for Clarkie.

Cutting a far more imposing figure than the skinny kid who arrived, due to the 13 kg of muscle he gained in the last year, Justin made his first senior appearances in the NAB cup - again a part of a Lions premiership. Although playing conservatively whilst finding his feet at this level, he did not look out of place on players of the calibre of Hale, Cameron & Lynch.

He was rewarded with elevation to the senior list preseason, starting the year at CHB in the ressies. Solid early season form, and a vacancy in the seniors, led to Justin making his senior debut at the Gabba in round 5 against Melbourne - applauded soundly by the faithful.

But it was his 3rd game against the West Coast that made the football world sit up and take notice of the gem in the rough we have found. His 22 touch, 14 mark effort (keeping NicNat & Cox quiet when they went forward) commanded plaudits showing he was right at home at the elite level. After his next game Justin was handed a 1 match suspension for a late bump on Essendon's Kavagnah, but he showed himself to be a fierce, physical competitor. 'Tis far better to teach a young man to control his aggression, than try to instil it.

Justin went on to play 17 games with his season ended by a shoulder injury in round 20. His development was evident as he became more comfortable in his place in the team. With this his leadership also blossomed, directing and running off his opponent to assist fellow defenders or link up in counter attack. Although his kicking has bee maligned, he generally hits targets to retain possession, albeit choosing conservative options - to be expected for one of such limited experience. Apart from game 2 (Sydney) he was not beaten by his direct opponent despite spending time on the best forwards in the competition.

All in all, like last year Justin has exceeded expectations, cementing himself as a best 22 player and living up to his promise as a 10 year key defender. And in a club in turmoil, at season's end he signed a 3 year contract extension - till end of 2016 - showing both his character and the club's endorsement of him. A highly intelligent, focused young man (currently studying aerospace engineering) he is set to develop into a key part of our team. All of this in a young man who only turns 20 on 18 November.

With his new coach being one of the best key defenders of his generation to learn off, the sky is the limit for Justin Clarke. Lions faithful are confident that we will have one of the elite key defenders for the next decade. Bring it on Justin.

Nice work BuntonRules

I am fascinated to see where Clarke ends up. I tend to see him, at worst, as a Zac Dawson type who gets the job done with a minimum of fuss. But he's potentially got a lot more to his game, based on his form to date.

Agile, physical, a strong mark, reads the play well, not afraid to lead his opponent to the fall of the ball – currently reads as 195cm but is still only around 88kgs – was listed as the Lions 11th highest disposal efficiency % in 2013 [up to 8th 'best' when removing players with less than an average of 10 disposals and Yeo].

He has been comparably linked as a player to Dustin Fletcher – who was named in two All Australian teams 2007 & 2000 and as highlighted in BR’s review, will be coached Leppa, a triple AA Full Back/CHB – BUT sadly BuntonRules I do need to correct you on your ‘sky is the limit’ limitation... with JC’s education and footy ability I'm thinking that even past the earths Exosphere is potentially achievable! ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside Football Player Rating - BLvGCS - NAB Challenge 2.
5/10 – Did some good things one on one down back alongside Merrett. Developing his game nicely.

-- Ben Casanella, Inside Football Thursday, February 27, 2014, Match Review BLvGCS

Inside Football player rating Rnd 1 Hawthorn Vs Brisbane Lions,

Big task on Roughhead and OK early but the big Hawk got on top. 3/10 - Brett Anderson - Inside Football March 27, 2014

Inside Football player rating Rnd 2 Brisbane Lions Vs Geelong,

battled away in defence without causing Cats too many concerns. 4/10 – Ben Casanella - Inside Football April 3, 2014

Last night I thought he really stood up and was a rock in defense. I know others will get the credit but he definitely gets the BHP award for his effort last night.

His development throughout the season thus far has been quite pleasing.

I've been an Andrew Stafford fan in the past but his match reviews are getting worse and worse. His comment about Justin Clarke was weird, and wrong.
Always thought he was our most astute journo but I also cringed when reading that. The comment about Matthew Warnock dominating the ruck is also worthy of mention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back