Past Justin Leppitsch - Coach (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitness not the only reason for Lions' fadeouts

(On last quarter fadeouts) "It's usually fitness or leadership, and it could be a bit of both," he said.

"Fitness at times because Harris Andrews has had only one pre-season and not four or five.

"When you say fitness, it doesn't just mean someone can't run, maybe they're not ready for the rigours of four quarters of AFL footy.

"The other part is leadership.

"If you have young men, they can't organise themselves quickly for long periods of time, they get disorganised around stoppages and things like that.

"That's a sign of leadership, which again could be an age issue, or a bunch of older players that aren't delivering on those leadership issues."

"We were very reluctant runners"

BRISBANE Lions coach Justin Leppitsch has conceded his players were "reluctant runners" in what he labelled the flattest performance for more than a month in Sunday's 24-point loss to Melbourne.

The Lions failed to control Melbourne's first-half scoring burst, in which they conceded seven goals to one, which ultimately cost them the game at the MCG.

Leppitsch said his side's inability to first compete in the air and then run and create was unnerving, especially after a solid month of football where they made Adelaide, Fremantle and the Sydney Swans earn every bit of their victories.

Leppitsch's plea for priority draft pick

"It depends how quickly the AFL community want us to get better," he said.

"They've taken away the academy advantages we've had, so obviously there's no real thought they want this club to get better quicker.

"We've had a huge amount of list changes and challenges.

"One draft pick is fantastic, two is even better isn't it?"

Justin Leppitsch insists his job is safe at the Brisbane Lions

“One thing (former Brisbane teammate and Geelong coach) Chris Scott said to me is that you’ll always feel like tomorrow’s the day you are going to get sacked irrespective of how many wins or losses you’ve had because so much rides on what the senior coach does.,’’ Leppitsch said.

“I would have thought (I am safe). I’ve got a year to go … we are building for the long-term. Small minded people can say we’ve gone backwards, I’m pretty confident we’ll go forwards from here.’’

Justin Leppitsch says Gold Coast has been given far greater AFL assistance than Brisbane

“There’s no direct comparison to what the two clubs have been given,” he said.

“They’ve been given a plethora of first round talent — we didn’t have any of that.

“They’ve been given far more concessions and salary cap concessions and other things that we have not been given at all.

“If you talk about what’s been given to the two franchises, it’s stark.

“Right now, this week, ladder position is close but as far as what’s in the background … I would have thought he (Suns coach Rodney Eade) is comfortable that long-term they are going to be fine.’’

We're just here to win, says Leppa

JUSTIN Leppitsch says his Brisbane Lions have not considered finishing last and are hell-bent on beating Carlton on Saturday night to avoid the wooden spoon.

Although there are still four rounds remaining, the Gabba matchup between the two bottom teams looms as a battle to evade the spoon.

The Lions have lost 11 successive matches are one win and two percentage points behind the Blues.

It's Time For An Even Playing Field

JUSTIN Leppitsch has pitched the Brisbane Lions' case for a slice of the lucrative new TV rights deal, saying it was crucial to level up the playing field.

Leppitsch said the continued growth of the game in the northern states was central to the $2.508 billion deal, and long-term success of the Lions and Suns was critical.

The Lions coach said he hoped by the end of the deal in 2022, the Lions and Gold Coast were self-sufficient and could stand on their own two feet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions coach stays positive despite massive loss

"I think we are two years into a really good draft cycle," Leppitsch said. "We didn't have these kids two years ago... we're a step in front.

"They are a tight group these boys. They are frustrated. They are not happy with three wins, but they are also realistic on the pathway we need to be."

Not surprisingly, Leppitsch also went into bat for his captain Tom Rockliff, who during the week came under pressure with claims of dissatisfaction among his teammates about his captaincy style. Again, the coach did not hold back.

"From my understanding, even from reports from others, he's in your face demanding more... is that bad?" Leppitsch asked.

"Someone said he's a a bit like Hodgy (Hawthorn captain Luke Hodge) because he's in your face. And they ask me whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

"I don't want a wallflower as a captain; I am pretty happy with someone who wants to drive standards.

"And he's (Rockliff) not the only one – a lot do. They want to get better, and that's a positive for the footy club."

Down in Tassie and was listening to whatever station it is that had the Carlton v Melbourne game. Dunno who it was and why it got brought up but whoever it was said Leppa apparently refuses to listen to any assistant coaches and the only person he does listen to is Leigh Matthews.

How would they know this?

Seems there is a bit of a mouth in the house, telling nasty little fairytales.

Needs to be flushed out.not nice at all.
I agree. It seems to be pretty consistent. I have to wonder if one of the on the outs assistants is doing this. Very annoying.

Loss to Hawks feels like 'Groundhog Day': Leppitsch

HAVING seen his side capitulate after quarter-time for the second week running, Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch was left to rue the ‘really bad’ patches his side produced in its 72-point loss to Hawthorn on Saturday.

“It was a bit of Groundhog Day,” he said post-match, referring to his side’s 87-point thumping at the hands of the Crows last week.

“A very similar game to last week, started well (then) fell away really badly in the second quarter.”

Brisbane Lions have not given up on keeping Jack Redden, says coach Justin Leppitsch

Leppitsch faced questions about his own player-management style today, but was confident his relationship with his charges was solid.

"I'll let others talk about my style. I'm sure every player will be different – one might be close and say 'I love you, you're the best', and others might go 'yeah, I struggled [to get the best out of myself]'. It's like that with every coach.

"You're seeing articles at the moment, players leaving, players retiring, you know. We got three [players] last year [Allen Christensen, Dayne Beams and Mitch Robinson] that left clubs as well, because they didn't like the current organisation, so it's a time of movement as well.

"Part of you can get caught up in the hysteria of it, but we want to fix the problems and keep the people we want to keep, which we've done pretty well over the last couple of years, and Jack's one of those."

He said his relationship with Redden was good. "I keep every text message I've got with him, and I've looked back through them all and they look OK to me. I wouldn't say my relationship with any of the players is poor. You have varying degrees of relationships with everybody in your life, I know, but I wouldn't say it's a poor relationship at all."

"I keep every text message I've got with him, and I've looked back through them all and they look OK to me."
This is the most concerning part to me - what about the discussions between player and coach?

Don't you talk to people you text with?
Myself, I usually keep texts from people who's company I enjoy.

"I keep every text message I've got with him, and I've looked back through them all and they look OK to me."
This is the most concerning part to me - what about the discussions between player and coach?

Given what the media has told me about what kids these days sent in text messages, I'm more concerned that they're exchanging text messages!

Don't you talk to people you text with?
Myself, I usually keep texts from people who's company I enjoy.
You might but for a lot of people texting is a substitute for talking and that's what concerns me. Leppa didn't say "From my discussions with Reddo everything has seemed normal etc". Suggests to me there hasn't been much talking going on. Call me old fashioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back