Past Justin Leppitsch - Coach (2014-2016)

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You might but for a lot of people texting is a substitute for talking and that's what concerns me. Leppa didn't say "From my discussions with Reddo everything has seemed normal etc". Suggests to me there hasn't been much talking going on. Call me old fashioned.
Times have changed. Imagine having 44 players and 10 odd coaching staff having to keep contact with. Texts are so much easier.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You might but for a lot of people texting is a substitute for talking and that's what concerns me. Leppa didn't say "From my discussions with Reddo everything has seemed normal etc". Suggests to me there hasn't been much talking going on. Call me old fashioned.
It does seem to be a trend these days that the head coach has too many other tasks( more important) to do than to have a close relationship with his players.
that seems wrong in my mind.

That communication avenue should be made available from the head coach (always) , more so than a HR person or assistant coaches.

Are we missing something here?
Could be an AFL deficiency.
One coach seems to go against this trend, he gets the best out of his players and receives high respect off them.
It would seem he has an open door for the players under him or should I say with him , by all reports.
Not saying he is their best friend , but more of a respected mentor, father figure, listening ear.
Pitty he coaches the Broncos.

Who really knows what goes on at the Gabba, maybe Leppa is that approachable, listening guy.
We can only go with what we see with player development and results on the field.
The question that I see being the big one is has Leppa got the best out of the individuals that we have.
After two years in the job there are many questions with his ability to employ a yielding environment .

He is under the pump right now , by that last interview yesterday, that is for certain.
Looked a bit shaky.
Felt a bit of compassion for him, its a tough gig .
Lets hope the boys rally behind the club and Leppa and show us on Saturday they believe .
Not talking a win but more so effort and run.

Last thought.
If a head coach is not a hands on job , which would include communicating in person to all his players, then what is it ?
Hang on what does this cookie say.
"Cofusses say Coach who not talk will walk. Bah ha ha". Well f.. me.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So we are now treating players differently? I doubt there would be no phone calls made.
You would like to think Leppa is approachable to all players , but a player that is entrenched in our first squad or team, you would assume the coach would have more one on one communication in the day to day training and team day tactics with these players rather than a player that is not entrenched in the firsts and not playing on game day.
I don't see it as having favorites or players been treated better .
Pretty sure he talks to Rocky more than a first year recruit for example .

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You would like to think Leppa is approachable to all players , but a player that is entrenched in our first squad or team, you would assume the coach would have more one on one communication in the day to day training and team day tactics with these players rather than a player that is not entrenched in the firsts and not playing on game day.
I don't see it as having favorites or players been treated better .
Pretty sure he talks to Rocky more than a first year recruit for example .
Of course. I do understand that. But for some on to emply he should be voice calling a best 22 and texting a fringe player for the same message doesnt sit right with me.

FFS, it was a sentence in a broader statement! I'm sure if he could go back and listen to every telephone, Skype or tincan to tincan conversation, he would have.
I knew we were struggling financially but this?

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-01-28/qa-justin-leppitsch QaA with Leppa.

One question that they didn't post in the above article but Leppa replied to on Facebook was "Who have been the standouts on the track so far?" in which Leppa singled Mayes, Bell, Cutler and Taylor.

Some tidbits from the QaA's posted in the above article in case you can't be bothered reading them all include:
  • One of the key forwards will play as the back up ruck
  • The coaches are hopeful Schache can get some games this year but will take the slow approach with him and Hipwood and all draftees for that matter as opposed to throwing the drafters to the wolves as we have been forced to do the past several years
  • Richy has been training with the mids.
  • In response to whether or not Mathieson will play senior games this year Leppa responded with "The way he is training he will":thumbsu:
  • Paine will play as a defender.
  • Clayton has improved a fair bit over the off season and Leppa is hopeful he will push for senior selection this year.
  • McStay and Mayes will start the year in defence but the coaches are aware of McStay's potency as a forward.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

One question that they didn't post in the above article but Leppa replied to on Facebook was "Who have been the standouts on the track so far?" in which Leppa singled Mayes, Bell, Cutler and Taylor.

Some tidbits from the QaA's posted in the above article in case you can't be bothered reading them all include:
  • The coaches are hopeful Schache can get some games this year but will take the slow approach with him and Hipwood and all draftees for that matter as opposed to throwing the drafters to the wolves as we have been forced to do the past several years
  • In response to whether or not Mathieson will play senior games this year Leppa responded with "The way he is training he will":thumbsu:
  • Clayton has improved a fair bit over the off season and Leppa is hopeful he will push for senior selection this year.
  • McStay and Mayes will start the year in defence but the coaches are aware of McStay's potency as a forward.
good to see the matheison point leppa made. confirms what me and others have reported on form the training sessions. be very interested to see how he goes in the match simulation tomorrow.

Len S

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Makes pretty good sense to me . Great news that the whole list seems to be pushing up.

MICKYCONLAN

Team Captain
May 30, 2007
MELBOURNE
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
good to see the matheison point leppa made. confirms what me and others have reported on form the training sessions. be very interested to see how he goes in the match simulation tomorrow.

Disappointing..no mention of Mayes potency up forward.

Leppitsch set for rolling one-year deals, says Lions CEO

JUSTIN Leppitsch will be on a rolling contract for the rest of his time at the Brisbane Lions if chief executive Greg Swann gets his way.

Swann has confirmed Leppitsch will be contracted for 2017, with a view to being renewed at this time every year going forward.

The decision still has to be ratified by the Brisbane Lions board.

It is a similar scenario at Carlton with new coach Brendon Bolton agreeing to a rolling contract when he joined the club last year.

"We actually think he can coach, we're just going to extend him, and roll him over from here on in," Swann told Melbourne radio SEN.

"In our position, this one year will go forever," he said.

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Justin Leppitsch to be given one-year contract extension by Brisbane Lions
February 23, 2016 7:16pm
ANDREW HAMILTON The Courier-Mail

external

origin:video_integrator.0xcmQ0MTE6sugS7csPr8_tgArjAPTqHH

THE fine print on Justin Leppitsch’s new contract was thrashed out at Brisbane’s board meeting last night.

The one-year extension just needs to be signed-off on by football director Leigh Matthew when he returns from overseas in the coming days and the announcement will be made — probably within a week.

It was the right decision if not the obvious one.

The Lions are coming off a three-win season and once again lost some disgruntled players.

And Leppitsch is not a flight risk, no club is going to be knocking on his door.

But the Lions need to project a sense of stability and Leppitsch deserves the chance to prove he is the right man for the job.

v1

Yes, he’s had two years but both have been hijacked in part by factors out of his control. He walked into a club in 2014 that was reeling from the mass walkout of the ‘go-home five’ while last year he was struck by an injury crisis second only to the luckless Suns.

Over recent years Brisbane have built a list that can become quite good with the right development.

80aad3c3cf8d17c50ec86fa72c0a41f7

Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch with draft picks Ben Keays, Sam Skinner, Rhys Mathieson, Josh Schache, Eric Hipwood and Reuben William.
The security this decision provides ensures he can focus on that development, rather than on trying to save his career.

Brisbane have a brutal draw. It is not out of the question that they enter the bye with just a win or two to their name.

It would be difficult to announce a re-signing with that score line.

The Lions think Leppitsch has the technical skills to be very good. And they are realistic about the state of their list. Nothing that might happen on the field over the opening 12 rounds will change that.

There is an expectation that the second half of the year is a lot better and he will be judged on those performances.

The Lions are doing everything they can to help him succeed. They brought home husband and wife welfare team Craig and Melissa Lambert and have overhauled their fitness program.

And they are working with Leppitsch on the areas he has battled with — namely the way he speaks to his players.

That is the question I have posed to numerous club officials — are they concerned that some of those behaviours might re-appear under the stress of a shocking win-loss ratio?

The Lions are confident they won’t.

It is not known what performance criteria, if any, have been written into his contract and it doesn’t matter.

If he loses is players again and they start talking about leaving, regardless of the fine print he will be in strife.

But if he can keep this group united through one more tough season they will improve a lot in the years to come and the Lions’ decision will be vindicated.

Re-signing of Lions coach Leppitsch is imminent

THE RE-SIGNING of Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch is imminent, says CEO Greg Swann.

Leppitsch is out of contract at the end of 2016, and his one-year extension is "close".

"We're controlling the message – we'll announce it when we need to, but it's not far away," Swann said on Monday morning.

"More than likely it (one year) will be the option. I'll let you know when it's done."

(Swann) "We'd be really disappointed if we don't win ... I better not put a games figure on it, someone's going to kill me, but vast improvement.

"I think you'll see us pushing up double last year's number of wins ... seven or eight.

"We haven't played finals since 2009, we want to head back there and when we head back there, we want it to be sustainable - we don't want to get in once and disappear again.

"We're on a build, we've got the youngest list but probably the most talented list we've had in quite a while. If we stay injury-free we think we really can cause some problems."

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'm reminded of Bomber Thompson's progress at Geelong.

After his first few years he was on the verge of getting the chop, but Geelong decided to persist with him. A couple of years later he was The Messiah and could do no wrong.

Here's hoping!
there was also that type of talk (although not quite as bad) re alistair clarkson for a while.

Back