Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You want facts? By all means....

He averaged 11.1 disposals a game.
He average 0.1 goals a game.
He played 44 senior games

Remember, he was (allegedly) a MIDFIELDER. Go through every team in the competition, and see how many midfielders average 11 touches a game after 44 games; I'm guessing there won't be many.

You can talk about marketing, or exposure, or whatever else to put a positive spin on it, but on the field, playing the actual game, he was a complete failure. What we heard of course was endless prattle about how he would be a "wrecking ball", how feared he would be, how apparently the soft and effiminate AFL players would be bullied beyond belief by the two big nasty rugby players. Basically hype piled upon bullshit upon hype upon propaganda.

He tried, he wasn't good enough, he's quit. He got paid ridiculous money to be very, very bad at his job.
Bluey McKenna dismantled your argument in the press conference yesterday. I can't be ****ed responding to such drivel just watch the presser. You must be an accountant if you have to equate the success of a venture on a kicks per $ spend.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Bluey McKenna dismantled your argument in the press conference yesterday. I can't be ****** responding to such drivel just watch the presser. You must be an accountant if you have to equate the success of a venture on a kicks per $ spend.

No problem. Replace say Ablett or O'Meara with a guy who gets that many touches, and see how good you look.

Being paid lots removes a lot of excuses. Plenty of 1st to 4th year players are struggling to make it at every other club. The difference is if they get 11 touches a game they'd find themselves in the reserves. And they wouldn't get praise for simply turning up.
That's irrelevant to what I said. You implied earning more money would mean he'd have to work less hard to learn the game and become an elite footballer. I called that stupid.

saviour01

All Australian
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
You realise the Suns weren't paying Karmichael $1M a year right? And nobody on the GC would've known or given a stuff who Lance Franklin was. The name Karmichael Hunt got them talking.

Buddy has been talked about way more than issy ever was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
It's good to read a positive wash up from fans here on Hunt's career. I for one was quite critical of the entire notion at the start, and I think we were proved right against those who severely underestimated the difficulty an elite sportsman has jumping into another elite sport bearing little similarity to the one he just came from (if you were here in Brisbane at the time reading the Courier Mail, you'd have a newfound appreciation for the term "bullshit")...

Hunt though:
1) Worked his arse off...
2) Developed to the point where last year he was part of the statistically most important midfield four for the GC Suns - and when you consider two of the others were Ablett and O'Meara, that's no mean feat...
3) Was a superb example of professionalism to his young teammates...
4) Captured the interest of the locals...
5) Gave us highlights - the match winner v Richmond (I was all Tigers that day because of my tipping comp, but as soon as he lined up, stuff that, I was all Karmichael), the big first goal in the first Carrara game v Geelong (arguably the most popular big bomb in recent memory), and the off the ball stuff, which brought back great memories from those of us old enough to remember the Hawks mugging their way to premierships in the eighties...
6) His humility. This from a guy who will have played three elite football codes by the time he retires, if he doesn't go off on another tangent and decide to play in the A-League, or even the NBL, or whatever...lawn bowls for Australia, who knows. He was a better AFL footballer than any of us even before he joined the Suns! He was more entitled than anyone to be an arrogant ********, but that was probably the only thing he failed at...

True champ, (still) living the dream.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not sure how to judge it from the perspective of benefiting the AFL.
But I doubt whether it has benefited Hunt's sporting career. Sure he gets the ludicrous amounts of cash offered but you stagnate certain skills that you might need for future endeavours in some of the most important developmental years of your life.
In Folau's case he was able to transition rather seamlessly to Union but that's not a given and you certainly take a risk trying to transition later.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
It's good to read a positive wash up from fans here on Hunt's career. I for one was quite critical of the entire notion at the start, and I think we were proved right against those who severely underestimated the difficulty an elite sportsman has jumping into another elite sport bearing little similarity to the one he just came from (if you were here in Brisbane at the time reading the Courier Mail, you'd have a newfound appreciation for the term "bullshit")...

Hunt though:
1) Worked his arse off...
2) Developed to the point where last year he was part of the statistically most important midfield four for the GC Suns - and when you consider two of the others were Ablett and O'Meara, that's no mean feat...
3) Was a superb example of professionalism to his young teammates...
4) Captured the interest of the locals...
5) Gave us highlights - the match winner v Richmond (I was all Tigers that day because of my tipping comp, but as soon as he lined up, stuff that, I was all Karmichael), the big first goal in the first Carrara game v Geelong (arguably the most popular big bomb in recent memory), and the off the ball stuff, which brought back great memories from those of us old enough to remember the Hawks mugging their way to premierships in the eighties...
6) His humility. This from a guy who will have played three elite football codes by the time he retires, if he doesn't go off on another tangent and decide to play in the A-League, or even the NBL, or whatever...lawn bowls for Australia, who knows. He was a better AFL footballer than any of us even before he joined the Suns! He was more entitled than anyone to be an arrogant ********, but that was probably the only thing he failed at...

True champ, (still) living the dream.

Mate, with little respect, that's the great heap of crap I've ever read. Many, many players do all of these things year in year out, are much better than all of it than Hunt, and you make it sounds as it Hunt is the only one who does this.

How was that idiot McLachlan spluttering away with a tribute with which he obviously didn't have a clue what he was talking about .... and he congratulated Hunt for his EXTRAORDINARY contribution to AFL. When 44 ordinary games in 4 years is considered an extraordinary contribution, the game has real problems.

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
Mate, with little respect, that's the great heap of crap I've ever read. Many, many players do all of these things year in year out, are much better than all of it than Hunt, and you make it sounds as it Hunt is the only one who does this.

How was that idiot McLachlan spluttering away with a tribute with which he obviously didn't have a clue what he was talking about .... and he congratulated Hunt for his EXTRAORDINARY contribution to AFL. When 44 ordinary games in 4 years is considered an extraordinary contribution, the game has real problems.
Well, if "little respect" is our barometer here, you can stick all that up your arse, and then go work on your basic comprehension skills...

I didn't compare Karmichael Hunt with anyone else, so the only point here of actual comparison is with himself. He met the challenge and won. I admire the guy for his attitude and his achievements, a great role model, and don't begrudge him his salary - good for him. Never said he was Gary Ablett, just that he was worthy of lining up alongside him on more occasions via midfield rotation than anyone else (with O'Meara and someone else I've forgotten) - that's a 2012-13 stat. We could both easily name a multitude of better players, and in the past, arguing with Qlders who thought he would dominate "gayfl" because he was a league product, that's exactly what I did. I alluded to this indirectly in the first sentence, but didn't want to make it sound like I was bashing him - wasn't going to win that one with you in the room by the look of it!

And what Gillon McLachlan does in his spare time is irrelevant here. Never quoted him.

Thought the experiment with Hunt was much more successful than with Folau - he showed real dedication and discipline, put lot of work into adapting his body shape (trimming down) to the demands of AFL football, adjusting to the skillset, was well respected at the club and good in the media, from what I can recall. Whereas Folau clearly just couldn't give a **** and went through the motions and picked up a tidy earn for doing bugger all.

Hunt also had his moments, especially that goal after the siren vs the Tigers, and had a few patches of sustained good form. Good luck to him. :thumbsu:

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8897521

Not confirmed which code he will go to yet.

Where does his career stand?

I think it has been successful from the point of view of promoting the Suns and AFL footy in that part of the world, which is what he was really signed for. Did some memorable on field things as well.
Good riddance. He did nothing to promote AFL and got paid $$$. I can't remember seeing him as the face of AFL up north ever. His appointment was a 100% disaster

Remove this Banner Ad

Back