Universal Love Kane Cornes' book

Remove this Banner Ad

Then perhaps you can provide details for how these things were tracking in the years before he took over. You can probably add ability to afford and attract off field staff.

IIRC by the end of 2008 we were struggling to raise enough funds to pay players, and the AFL/SANFL put us on one of those restricted off field spending cuts that are have since been proven to have the opposite effect.
Yes Haysmann was here in 2009 but he inherited a mess in August 2008 and a mess that was heading South.
RussellEbertHandball or others may have more details about our financial situation in 2008-09 but we didn't employ part time assistants and limited fitness staff to assist Choco and Primus for no reason.

By the time he left in July 2011 we were guaranteed funds for x years, one club was happening as was the move to AO that nobody else wanted.
If you do no work between August 2008 and February 2009, there's your 2-3 million.

I am sure Toopy and Dunk would have been all over this is giving guidance to the CEO.

Kane covered everything we needed to know about the leaders at that time

If you do no work between August 2008 and February 2009, there's your 2-3 million.

I am sure Toopy and Dunk would have been all over this is giving guidance to the CEO.

Kane covered everything we needed to know about the leaders at that time
Saying no Haysmann (and his team) no Power in SA is probably closer to where we were at in 2009 than the Haysmann is the root of all evil that you are posting.

Footy clubs are 3 things.

Members/attendance money, sponsorship money and TV rights money. It's a year by year business, not sure what mess you can inherit other than the s**t stadium deal from the outset of the license

It is a mess if you don't know what you are doing.

In his defence from memory the whole board got taken out by Magpies people lead by Dunk so probably fair that he as new CEO had no corporate memory. But no such things at football club of skeletons in closets..........work hard in off season to get the money in.

I can only imagine if you miss deadlines for membership program through not being organised, finances have looked tight since Big Bob was in charge.

Bad times

They also don't exist in a vacuum.

Haysman's tenure with Port pretty much started right when the GFC hit.

I don't care how good a CEO you are, that s**t is going to affect your ability to draw sponsors. Coupled with the downward spiral of our on field performances, he was on a hiding to nothing in the role.

It's hard to evaluate Haysman's reign. Yes, he did great things with the One club and Adelaide Oval move but there were some very shocking decisions made during his time too. Absolute howlers. 2011 things got so bad i honestly thought we were on the verge of folding, if we had appointed Kochie and KT earlier i don't believe it would've got that bad.

Interesting that Kane read online forums and said a lot of other players do.
I think it's only natural for players to read about themselves and their team. If I knew there was a thread on a forum about me on a team I played for, I'd probably log in and give myself a trashing too....

Just read it, bland and poorly written. If it wasn't a Port player I wouldn't have made it past the first chapter.
Kane comes across as a genuine enough guy. His writer hasn't done him many favours though. I guess its aimed at the bulk of footy fans rather than avid readers. The language level is not much higher than the Advertiser.
Not much in it that anyone who frequents big footy wouldn't know.

Sorry Kane, still love you as a footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe a prominent poster on this board witnessed a very high profile player at our club reading through the game-day thread at Tullamarine Airport a couple of years ago as the players waited to board their flight.

Oh no not a gameday thread. The bipolar posting is on full display there. Did we lose? Were we behind at any time?

The Open Mike interview was very interesting. Chad especially didn't hold back even from his own introspection about his treatment of younger players.

The whole 2007 GF debacle is still strange to think about. The club was so defensive when people questioned them about it and why it was not reviewed. I remember a function the week after round 1 2008 and the view from the club was "We just lost to Geelong by a few points in round 1 so that shows we don't need to address the GF as we have put in a good performance"
For memory we lost the first 4 or 5 games in 2008.

I believe a prominent poster on this board witnessed a very high profile player at our club reading through the game-day thread at Tullamarine Airport a couple of years ago as the players waited to board their flight.
We lost. Was the Essendon game at Etihad of 2013.

It figures.

Game day threads are the absolute worst threads on this board and no players should ever read them, even if we win.

I really hope Butcher doesn't read his special thread. :oops:

It figures.

Game day threads are the absolute worst threads on this board and no players should ever read them, even if we win.

I really hope Butcher doesn't read his special thread. :oops:
Game day thread is the equivalent of putting half a dozen cameras in the crowd and filming crowd reaction live flipping between cameras and groups of people around the camera and then watching the replay. So bad luck if you are a player and dumb enough to read it and get sensitive about it.

Game day thread is the equivalent of putting half a dozen cameras in the crowd and filming crowd reaction live flipping between cameras and groups of people around the camera and then watching the replay

I would watch the s**t out of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back