News Kane Lucas

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128552/default.aspx

'SUGAR' Kane Lucas had every reason to look forward to his second year with Carlton after a promising debut season.

But after playing in the Blues' 2011 season opener against Richmond, he was sent back to the VFL where he suffered a medial ligament injury that had a significant effect on him both physically and mentally.

"I just want to give whatever I can to the club."
Finally a little buzz around Lucas. :thumbsu:
We'll be a better side if he brings his off-season form to where it really matters.
Wishing young Kane well.

cookie monster

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
NY Giants
If we want to win a flag we need a few guys to explode.
This guys one of em.

Well said.

I say if Lucas, Gibbs, Waite, and Hendo take the next step, you may as well give us the premiership. Ofcourse we need our 16-22 group to lift as well, but that will happen naturally

cookie monster

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
NY Giants
I agree.

For those that saw him last year, you'd just hope for him to be able to get a few kicks this year.
He's much better than that though, but his 2010 may be just about forgotten by most.
Still only 20 years of age, you could do worse than put a few dollars on him to take out the Rising Star award this year.
Luke Shuey-esque if you may Harks?

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Lead the club in interceptions before he got injured in 2010 - great reflexes and reading of the play ;)

He showed plenty in the Saints game at the end of the year, probably looking forward to seeing him play the most now that Big Squid is out for a while..

parrot

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2004
I'd be VERY disappointed if Lucas turns out to be a Shuey type, who is a one paced vanilla mid. I lost count of how many times Shuey was run down in the last final series. Lucas is a much higher grade talent. He is an elite mid waiting to happen. Has it all, pace skill and size. Hoping he stays injury free. Should have a huge 2012. Can't wait.

:)

gladiator4000

Debutant
Suspended
Feb 1, 2012
country vic
AFL Club
Carlton
For carlton to win this years flag 5 players all need to play at their best and lift, have their best seasons yet and these guys all had injuries last season.
In my opinion Jamieson playing to his potential and possibly getting to all australian standards barring injuries.
Jarrad Waite consistency with his goal kicking, taking more marks, more run and goals as well as goal assists.
Matty kreuzer to play consistent as he did in his comeback game against the swans, settle and lift his game to a higher level.
Sam rowe, if he can take big contested marks and hold his position and I think he will especially given how the blues have a strong belief in him thanks to duigan lol he can dominate up the ground.
and kane lucas, as you all have said and i loved watching him play, he has it all and his adaptability will make him a deadly weapon.

Bar injuries and they play their best footy why cant we take the flag home to visy park???

Blueboys7

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pheonix Suns
I would love to see Lucas on one hbf and yarran on the other

I'd prefer him up the ground a little more, perhaps a wing.

I'd like to rotate both Yarran and Lucas on a wing at times with Simpson spending some time forward. Simmo can give us a real spark as a leading small forward, as seen in a few games last year where he was tagged and forced forward.

Blueboys7

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pheonix Suns
I'd be VERY disappointed if Lucas turns out to be a Shuey type, who is a one paced vanilla mid. I lost count of how many times Shuey was run down in the last final series. Lucas is a much higher grade talent. He is an elite mid waiting to happen. Has it all, pace skill and size. Hoping he stays injury free. Should have a huge 2012. Can't wait.

I'd be extremely happy if Lucas turned out to be a goal kicking mid like Shuey.

Blueboys7

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pheonix Suns
Certainly one to watch but I'm keeping it in my pants for now. We were jizzing over him last preseason and although injury curtailed his season, I've learnt not to expect too much too soon.

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
I think to expect a Shuey-esque explosion from Sugar is to expect too much... but it's OK to hope for!

I *really* agree with the earlier thought that in order for the Blues to really challenge for a premiership (as with any team), we need a few guys to "come from nowhere" and have career-best seasons. In retrospect, it's what happens with every premiership team; guys step up, old guys have one last great season, guys come back from injury and perform, etc.

Lucas is an obviously candidate within the Blues' list for a breakout season that would leave opposition fans shaking their head and saying "it's unfair!". Doesn't mean it will happen, but he's a candidate!

Certainly one to watch but I'm keeping it in my pants for now. We were jizzing over him last preseason and although injury curtailed his season, I've learnt not to expect too much too soon.
I agree- I for one got way ahead of myself concerning wablues own Kane Lucas expecting him to be a walk up starter in 2011. The signs are positive for him 2012 but the proof will be in the pudding. Show me some Sugar

parrot

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2004
Lucas just has that classy aspect of his game, that should make him elite. You only have to watch a few highlights to see this. Combine that with this athleticism, speed and size and you have all the ingredients for a star midfielder. As an aside, the AFL's overrepresented by one-paced vanilla mids who star on the stat sheets and on BF forums, but are dead boring to watch, and don't have impact in big games when it counts. Apart from the Weagles guy, North seem to be the natural homeland for these non-descript types, but there's countless others I could list. But this is about Lucas, and his exciting future at our great club. I can see him playing a bit of a Simmo type role this season i.e wing pushing forward.

audas

Premiership Player
Mar 22, 2005
London
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
"I was lucky enough to play my first AFL game and I was excited just to be around the likes of Chris Judd.

"My second year was quite hard having played a few games in my first season, but now I feel like I've got to the point where I can really help the team.

"Missing out last year is definitely a motivation for me. Every game you miss is a game you can't get back. The years have flown by and I really want to be a part of something special.

"I just want to give whatever I can to the club."

This - this is whats it all about.

audas

Premiership Player
Mar 22, 2005
London
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Lucas reminds me a great deal of Kade Simpson -

I'm fairly excited about Kerr as well, not much talk about the fella and I really think he could go alright. Similar age, 4 cm height diff - fantastic kick, runs well, reads play fantastic, goes hard.

Blueboys7

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pheonix Suns
I agree- I for one got way ahead of myself concerning wablues own Kane Lucas expecting him to be a walk up starter in 2011. The signs are positive for him 2012 but the proof will be in the pudding. Show me some Sugar

That's the way I saw it in 2011 but obviously injuries destroyed his confidence and his season.

His 2010 performances were outstanding and the signs were there that he would break out this season. It was so disappointing to see that injuries affected his season because the potential is there for all to see.

I'm pretty confident that he will be a factor in our best 22 and injury is the only thing that will stop him.

He is all class, his disposal and speed is a sight to behold.

oaks

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
I really dont see what all the hype is about with Lucas. he may have had some injury problems but even so, he didnt show much. nothing as good as say Curnow did averaging 20+ disposals for the first 7 rounds. imo i would much rather have Curnow in the team than Lucas.

Back