News Kane Lucas

Remove this Banner Ad

Best part was seeing him apply defensive pressure that was non existent all of last year. I'm pretty confident Sugar will start round 1, so I'll have McLean and Curnow under the microscope for NAB Cup. Brock was better than Ed in the intra club, but we know his limitations and how seriously most took the practise match.

If you don't think that all of these kids - even the ones who fail miserably - didn't have to work hard to even have a sniff at playing in the AFL then you're seriously deluded.

I really do hate when people come out and suggest player X has had to work harder than player Y. Without hard work none of them would be where they are today.

I know this post has already been given the :thumbsu: but I had to add my two cents. One of the wisest comments I've ever read on BF.

This is by far my biggest pet hate in the footy world and is part of the reason I generally cannot stand much of what many people carry on with during games.

A good mate of mine was one of those who 'failed miserably' at the Blues, he did a preseason under Parko in the late 90's. Seeing first hand what an AFL player goes through to prepare himself for league football blew me away; then to hear what comes out of some supporters mouths at the footy, it makes my blood boil.

Almost without exception - I say this because there obviously are lazy players around - an AFL player has to push himself to limits totally beyond the fat-prick with a beer in one hand and pie in the other who delights in telling the player how s**t he is.

Well said Wickzki, and here's hoping Sugar's work pays off. I was really impressed with his work early in 2010, and I reckon he could be a very important part of no.17.

that is the thing
some get an afl call up and do go back on their haunches not realizing it is but the start
ellard was never going to grow anymore and was always up against it
got super fit learnt from everybody around eg Judd and kept up his work ethic even when told it will never happen. He is a perfect embodiment of what dedication is all about. Lucas had many reasons to spit the dummy but has not. He has everything to prove but all the tools to do so-more so than ellard. and ellard for what he had to offer has already had an amazing career

His disposal was average that day. Had one shocker where he tried to do a one-two with Murph, held it too long and ended up handballing it out of bounds on the full. Imagine if Brock did that! :eek:

Was very confident though and was selling candy, going for long runs and his team mates were looking to give the ball to him.

He did that twice and had some real shanked kicks as well. If he improves his disposal in the NAB cup will be best 22, but jeez he undid a lot of good work last Friday with bad kicks and handballs

Shoog and Bung - confidence players who can take our side to a new level.

Not giving up on Collins yet, had the same impact as Lucas in the intra club and has a history of better disposal and is harder. Lucas is better in other aspects though.

He found plenty of it and worked hard. Can't ask much more than that in a February game.

That said, he needs to be cleaner and smarter with the ball.

I like what I see though.

He did that twice and had some real shanked kicks as well. If he improves his disposal in the NAB cup will be best 22, but jeez he undid a lot of good work last Friday with bad kicks and handballs

He was sloppy at times, but he certainly doesn't have trouble kicking through the sticks.

I think he maybe needs to work on the weighting of his kicks, but the more we play him, the more confidence he'll have and the better his kicking will be.

his kicking at goal on the run was a bit sloppy at the intra-club. he almost seemed to be running to hard to kick it with decent accuracy.

his kicking at goal on the run was a bit sloppy at the intra-club. he almost seemed to be running to hard to kick it with decent accuracy.

He kicked the first goal of the game running at full pelt and put it straight through the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played far better in the NAB cup but still had disposal errors. If I'm being honest I like Collins more

TBH, and I'm sure I'll cause a s**t storm here but I don't see the love for Collins yet.

In the Port game he was the beneficiary of others work for his 2 goals (he won't be replacing Garlett or Betts as a crumbing forward any time soon), took 1 mark and a nice kick to Hampson on the lead (I'd expect every player on the team to hit a team mate on the tit at least once in a game).

Mitch Carter was far more productive during his game time in the Port game.

His 2 games last year were ordinary and the love appears to come on the back of 1 game for Richmond.

I'm certainly not saying he won't necessarily 'make' it but I haven't seen anything in a senior game yet to suggest he will be a definate starter and I just can't see him knocking someone like Lucas out of the team at this stage.

The first round of VFL football last year he collected 34 disposal and was the best player on the ground.

Has a supreme amount of talent, natural footballer who works well in traffic. Wouldn't be the only player to disappoint in early games.

Was very impressed with his game but I still find it odd that people are saying his skills were rusty... Sugar hasn't ever had silky skills, doesn't mean he won't be a great player.

And for him to be a goal a game mid, you'd want him to actually kick a single goal in the big time before making those kind of statements! :p

And there are shitloads of players in state leagues who are dead average when they step up to the seniors.

As I said previously I'm not writing him off as no good but this is the wrong thread to get going on the merits of Collins so I'll end my thoughts on him here.

Kane is one of our few youngsters with genuine potential to be considered an A Grader of our great game. He epitomises the term "ball magnet". What I am having trouble coming to terms with is the view that he currently commands a Top 22 position. We have a myriad of outside mids who can do a comparable job. The inside mid role is one that has to be addressed. Does Lucas, with exposed disposal and decision making issues usurp the other candidates, YET?

Carrazzo, Ellard, Curnow, McLean and potentially Joseph bring varied skill sets to the table. Add the exciting young Irishman to that list of candidates, I see Tuohy with at least as much upside as any of them.

I have a problem compromising standards like disposal and cohesion, for potential and future upside. We are becoming an elite team, the basic skills must be a non-negotiable. Many posters express a belief that "Sugar" has the skills and is being impeded by confidence issues, or perhaps trying too hard. I hope they are right and he steps up.

Sugar and candy are short lived sensations, SILK is a fabric from which a Flag can be crafted.

Kane is one of our few youngsters with genuine potential to be considered an A Grader of our great game. He epitomises the term "ball magnet". What I am having trouble coming to terms with is the view that he currently commands a Top 22 position. We have a myriad of outside mids who can do a comparable job. The inside mid role is one that has to be addressed. Does Lucas, with exposed disposal and decision making issues usurp the other candidates, YET?

Carrazzo, Ellard, Curnow, McLean and potentially Joseph bring varied skill sets to the table. Add the exciting young Irishman to that list of candidates, I see Tuohy with at least as much upside as any of them.

I have a problem compromising standards like disposal and cohesion, for potential and future upside. We are becoming an elite team, the basic skills must be a non-negotiable. Many posters express a belief that "Sugar" has the skills and is being impeded by confidence issues, or perhaps trying too hard. I hope they are right and he steps up.

Sugar and candy are short lived sensations, SILK is a fabric from which a Flag can be crafted.
After Carrazzo's effort on Sunday, he needs to pull his finger out and lead without Judd, Murphy, Yarran, Gibbs , Walker, Garlett, Betts and Robinson there to spark Carlton. Carrazzo and Armfield still can't be trusted to kick in the backline. You could argue that Lucas needed to pull the trigger a fraction earlier, but our spread and run and carry in the NAB Cup was almost non-existent. Few players were running past to receive due to no numbers around the ball.

Collins looked pretty average at the intra-club game. dropped a few easy marks and seemed to misjudge the ball coming to him. He may do okay in the VFL but so did Mclean, from memory he averaged 30+ disposals for the year in the 2nds. Still waiting for Collins to come good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back