Kane Mitchell Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I do pay attention and I have replied to all of your queries with the upmost of respect and given details where requested. I agree that no thread on a Port board should abuse a player. We can definitely agree on that.
I asked out of the list I provided which skills Mitchell is not massively deficient for an AFL player. If you don't want to give examples that is ok, this is a discussion for me and I am not seeking a thesis.

I don't think he's massively deficient at anything. I already stated that but that doesn't mean I don't think there aren't areas where he can develop his game. There are skill issues in terms of kicking and ball handling as well as football smarts seeing as his possession count and hurt factor isn't high.

His form has dropped away the past few weeks and while it is commendable that Ken shows faith in his players he's probably over-extended that faith in Kane and probably to his detriment.

Ken clearly likes his running endurance and pace to get to contests but he has fallen away over the past month.

I don't think he's massively deficient at anything. I already stated that but that doesn't mean I don't think there aren't areas where he can develop his game. There are skill issues in terms of kicking and ball handling as well as football smarts seeing as his possession count and hurt factor isn't high.

His form has dropped away the past few weeks and while it is commendable that Ken shows faith in his players he's probably over-extended that faith in Kane and probably to his detriment.

Ken clearly likes his running endurance and pace to get to contests but he has fallen away over the past month.
Really? Ok we use terms differently then. Out of the 22 players tonight of which of the skills that I listed is he not in the bottom 5 in our team? And please do not respond that this does not make him massively deficient, I will drop that argument. No need to list other players.

What was put in front of you was Forzaport saying do not descend into player abuse and me reiterating that point. What we have is you trying to say we are stifling sensible discussion. Calling a player a turd - your word - is not sensible discussion.

Hyperbole is mostly unhelpful too and to say a player who has made it to AFL level and is consistently getting games is 'massively deficient' at a number of football skills is ridiculous.

But then that's what I meant about people getting themselves a bit of self-satisfaction by dragging someone else down by trying to highlight their deficiencies. Seems there's a bit of emotion going on in your posting.
But he is massively deficient

Really? Ok we use terms differently then. Out of the 22 players tonight of which of the skills that I listed is he not in the bottom 5 in our team? And please do not respond that this does not make him massively deficient, I will drop that argument. No need to list other players.

Seeing as you acknowledge he's not massively deficient in the way I thought you meant then no, not interested in pursuing this any further. I've said all I'm interested in saying about one player who was hardly the sole reason we lost to Essendon.

I don't know if Mitchell helps this team at all.

We know he runs that's a given but at contests he's just... there. He doesn't block for players, he doesn't jump in and win the ball, he does apply some pressure but because of his small frame he is brushed off. He's in and around contests but he doesn't do anything.

He's a good seconds player but the AFL is just not suited for him. His only position is as a small forward and even then he's an incredibly unreliable shot at goal.

Seeing as you acknowledge he's not massively deficient in the way I thought you meant then no, not interested in pursuing this any further. I've said all I'm interested in saying about one player who was hardly the sole reason we lost to Essendon.
Dropping an argument is not acknowledging anything. If you don't want to pursue any further no worries that's your choice.

I support all our players and would crawl over broken glass for all them except kane he cant play and should be delisted.
Then take the all out of your post...e.g I don't do drugs except cocaine it's good for my heat condition.

It's all warm and fuzzy to support our players but that won't help us win a flag. Nothing wrong for calling it as it is.
Mitchell is not AFL standard. Outstanding dry weather hard running player but he just doesn't have that last 10% of polish to make it. He's poor in a marking contests, gets pushed of the ball far to easily and his disposal by hand and foot is only average and not dependable. His only value is as a sub on a dry deck.

The most disappointing thing out of watching Ken persist with him is we were all promised that gold passes don't exist under this regime but that is proven to be lies. Mitch should've been dropped after the Sydney game & forced to play some good reserves footy before being considered again.

Logan a bloke who thrives for contested slogs in the wet got dropped after playing a ripper against the Dogs & we bring back an underdone Dom two weeks later, he's showing what we all worried earlier in the year that this will definitely be his last year when he's lost his ability to thrive in wet weather footy.

I know Cassisi was our ex captain but if Logan got told there'd be limited opportunities for him despite being in better nick than Dom why wasn't the same said to him? There are a few coaches favorites getting preference ahead of keeping a good team balance.

Last edited:
What did Dom do wrong? He kept Chapman to 10 touches to 3/4 time. Chapman had 7 touches in the last quarter. Dom did a good enough job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did Dom do wrong? He kept Chapman to 10 touches to 3/4 time. Chapman had 7 touches in the last quarter. Dom did a good enough job
He still picked up 17 touches, that shouldn't be a tick for Dom when he did nothing with ball in hand. I'd dispute that Chapman is also finished based on his form the last month, he's so slow it's amazing he had an impact at all so really it kinda nullifies the good enough job you think Dom did.

O'Shea who some posters questioned his game was pretty bloody good down back helping out on their talls & creating rebound, he's only played 2 games after being a regular last year all because we've persisted with Dom & Mitchell who in reality don't have much to offer to the club long term.

If you were picking between Dom & O'Shea/Logan for a spot down back could you honestly say you'd rather pick a bloke who can't run or kick anymore?

He still picked up 17 touches, that shouldn't be a tick for Dom when he did nothing with ball in hand. I'd dispute that Chapman is also finished based on his form the last month, he's so slow it's amazing he had an impact at all so really it kinda nullifies the good enough job you think Dom did.

O'Shea who some posters questioned his game was pretty bloody good down back helping out on their talls & creating rebound, he's only played 2 games after being a regular last year all because we've persisted with Dom & Mitchell who in reality don't have much to offer to the club long term.

If you were picking between Dom & O'Shea/Logan for a spot down back could you honestly say you'd rather pick a bloke who can't run or kick anymore?

dom was one of the only players in the first 3 quarters to be solid defensively, strong over the ball and grabbed it one touch. his experience was noticeable. none of these Mitchell did, however Mitchell had some friends there tonight.

dom was one of the only players in the first 3 quarters to be solid defensively, strong over the ball and grabbed it one touch. his experience was noticeable. none of these Mitchell did, however Mitchell had some friends there tonight.
I guess it's just his constant indecision & poor kick that frustrates the hell out of me, defensively he's still doing a reasonable job on guys that are as slow as him but offensively I don't think he's in our best 22 anymore.

He's got the ball 50 out but takes forever to decide what to do, numbers get back & then ends up helicopter kicking it close to OOF it's deflating & ruins momentum.

Mitchell shouldn't be picked & Young shouldn't be sub in those conditions. Newton should've been given a better run to see if he's a part of our future, if Moore is fit & puts in a good game for the Maggie's he should be picked ahead of both Mitch & Dom.

Where our list is at we're not just playing for this year, we need to be getting games into the likes of Newton, Moore & 1 of our young tall forwards so they can adapt to the highest level like Young, O'Shea & others in our best 22 have.

Last edited:
Moore, Newton, Logan, P Stewart and a full game from Young.

These are the players being held back because we persist with Mitchell. We have White and Polec for that outside run with O'Shea another option to play on the wings once Bobby and Trengrove come back, all with more strings to their bow than just running. Moore ;) grunt needed, with finals looming Mitchell is a dangerous player to have to carry.

Hard choices have to be made if this team is going to take the next step up and be the competition pace setter.

Moore, Newton, Logan, P Stewart and a full game from Young.

These are the players being held back because we persist with Mitchell.
Moore and Stewart haven't played due to injury, not because of Kens preference to Mitchell. I agree with you in regards to Newton though.

The lad must be crushed after missing that goal. From potential hero to whipping boy in less then 10 min o_O

He wouldn't really have been the hero anyway, Hammer and Gray set it up in the middle, and Chad dished it off to Mitchell when he probably could have had a ping himself. The fact is he missed a shot from 20 metres out dead in front when the game was on the line. He's a player that is in the team for his run, now if he can't a very simply goal on the run, that's when you've got a problem.
He had very little effect on the rest of the game, so it's entirely reasonable to be pretty upset with his game when considering the missed shot.

He wouldn't really have been the hero anyway, Hammer and Gray set it up in the middle, and Chad dished it off to Mitchell when he probably could have had a ping himself. The fact is he missed a shot from 20 metres out dead in front when the game was on the line. He's a player that is in the team for his run, now if he can't a very simply goal on the run, that's when you've got a problem.
He had very little effect on the rest of the game, so it's entirely reasonable to be pretty upset with his game when considering the missed shot.

No argument from me. But we need to remember he is a kid when it comes to his experience level.

To me, the issue is not so much his ability but why is he being picked. I get that Ken wants a running attack, he doesn't believe we have another tall forward ready yet which would be affecting our match day options, is he the man to fill that gap at this point is the question. Mitchell although a mature age pick with great fitness is a very inexperienced AFL player. You can see it in his decision making, he wants to follow and not lead. His ability is there in many areas, just lacks confidence and experience. Very frustrating to watch as we all know.

Young for example will be a great player but he lacks the body he needs to play consistent un injured footy. Mitchell has at least a more mature body wise and can handle being thumped about a bit more. Perhaps he is not a long term option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back