Kangaroos Tasmanian Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Incorrect, Hiscox was rated a top 40 prospect by Kevin Sheahan, and also rated in the top 16 midfielders available in the draft.

Not a big advantage people say ?

Syd and Hawthorn play off in the GF, the Hawks get pick 19 to use on a kid, the Swans get to use pick 18 on a kid rated top 3, and will again next year when they are once again entitled to a kid who is rated just as high.

So, going forward, the Hawks are missing the quality players at the top of the draft, which is the whole reason for the draft, so they have to trade and give up picks, whereas the Swans are getting highly rated top 3 mids for picks around 18. Great for the Swans, they get to inject two highly rated mids into their already strong team, with, one would suspect, an ongoing filter of similar quality going forward.

People who don't realise this will end up as a massive advantage going forward are kidding themselves.

Now, don't get me wrong, good luck to the Swans, take what you can get, and grab any advantage the AFL is silly enough to throw your way, I have no problem with the Swans using this advantage, I have a problem with the AFL for being lazy and shortsighted, similar to the previous necessity that turned into a big advantage.

So Hawks use pick 19 on a kid formerly number 2 in 2012 draft plus with the benefit of two years development at GWS (effectively a differential of 16 spots) with no mention in Media AND they've won 2/3 last grand finals. I dont understand how that could possibly mean they are missing out on quality players at the top of the draft?

However, Swans are criticised for gaining a talented kid (Heeney) for 15 spots above Melbourne's nominated value. Boo hoo hoo.
I agree that it is a leg up and an advantage over other teams although I disagree with your premise that the Hawks are hard done by.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
So Hawks use pick 19 on a kid formerly number 2 in 2012 draft plus with the benefit of two years development at GWS (effectively a differential of 16 spots) with no mention in Media AND they've won 2/3 last grand finals. I dont understand how that could possibly mean they are missing out on quality players at the top of the draft?

However, Swans are criticised for gaining a talented kid (Heeney) for 15 spots above Melbourne's nominated value. Boo hoo hoo.
I agree that it is a leg up and an advantage over other teams although I disagree with your premise that the Hawks are hard done by.
Because the hawks traded pick 19 which was fair market value for O'rourke. Mkt value for Heeney was pick 2. Hawthorn didn't have the opportunity to draft Heeney or O'rourke at their pick. I don't think the Hawks are hard done by. Probably the best team in the league with regards to trading.

worthy

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2004
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Just to be clear, i'm not singling the Hawks out as "being hard done by", it was just an example of the nature of the draft. Good example with O'Rourke, the Hawks were very lucky he chose us, but, I am led to believe we paid market value for him, irrespective of his drafted position.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
How dont they? Brisbane desmantled last year. Supposedly all our players wanting out, according to bf. Of course playing the game you love close to friends and family is a big tick. The northern clubs have to offer more money and a better enviroment to keep these players as they dont have the you can play and be with your family benefit.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
How dont they? Brisbane desmantled last year. Supposedly all our players wanting out, according to bf. Of course playing the game you love close to friends and family is a big tick. The northern clubs have to offer more money and a better enviroment to keep these players as they dont have the you can play and be with your family benefit.
I don't buy that. Players chase success. The Lions had no trouble keeping their players when they were successful and with hindsight Voss seems like the reason most wanted out. Also, lots of players like playing in markets where there is less spotlight on them. Look at Hawthorn and Sydney topping up with players chasing success. Sydney have lots of victorians on their list. If GC make finals this year i doubt the players will want out. Harder for GWS as they aren't improving as quickly as GC but hopefully that happens this yr.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Brisbane dismantled?

So much so that they managed to recruit an AA midfielder in his prime and a premiership midfielder that Geelong had big plans for, 12 months later.

worthy

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2004
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I read at least 1 quote from a draftee (not from the northern states) that said GC was the gold destination. Big name players are leaving the Southern states to go north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

And they got Beams this year.

Fremantle on the other hand haven't managed to attract Western Australians.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Basically it is the putting the frog in the warm water and then turning up the temperature thing. Before North realise what has happened they have been relocated.

Yeah, because we have no recent experience with AFL tactics.

If we are talking relocation, the perenially poor onfield and off field clubs of St Kilda and the Dogs and the Dees are all far more likely candidates.

Yeah, because we have no recent experience with AFL tactics.

If we are talking relocation, the perenially poor onfield and off field clubs of St Kilda and the Dogs and the Dees are all far more likely candidates.

and yet North are the ones being sucked in by the AFLs tricks again.

oh, and St Kilda & Dogs were pretty good just a few years back..Bet they did OK off field then too, just like you are with with another profit*.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
and yet North are the ones being sucked in by the AFLs tricks again.

oh, and St Kilda & Dogs were pretty good just a few years back..Bet they did OK off field then too, just like you are with with another profit*.

Might want to have a look at the Dogs and Saints membership figures, debt and losses in recent years compared to ours.

And what are we being sucked in by?

The Tiges also sold games recently.

Might want to have a look at the Dogs and Saints membership figures, debt and losses in recent years compared to ours.

And what are we being sucked in by?

The Tiges also sold games recently.

Recent years? You mean while they've been doing badly and you've been doing well.

What about Successful years Vs Successful years?
Or unsuccessful Vs unsuccessful.

Yes, Richmond sold games...But we're not being drawn into playing more and more.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Recent years? You mean while they've been doing badly and you've been doing well.

What about Successful years Vs Successful years?
Or unsuccessful Vs unsuccessful.

Yes, Richmond sold games...But we're not being drawn into playing more and more.

Why don't you go and check them out.

We are playing three games in Tassie for the first year. Wow.

You do know Hawthorn plays four?

Yep, very selective by old mate there.

He's just sore that despite North going so well they are still being positioned for relocation after we pulled the Ballarat rug from beneath them.

Why don't you go and check them out.

We are playing three games in Tassie for the first year. Wow.

You do know Hawthorn plays four?

Was 2, now 3, and it's widely acknowledged that the AFL wants Hawthorn out and you to take on those 4 as well giving you 7, a number your board seems to have already expressed agreement with.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, very selective by old mate there.

He's just sore that despite North going so well they are still being positioned for relocation after we pulled the Ballarat rug from beneath them.

Haha. No, even in your "good years" you never were far if at all above us.

Ever considered you're being farmed out to Ballarat while we take the west?

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was 2, now 3, and it's widely acknowledged that the AFL wants Hawthorn out and you to take on those 4 as well giving you 7, a number your board seems to have already expressed agreement with.

It was widely acknowledged we were going to the Gold Coast.

To quote Paul Keating, why don't you just shut up and listen, you might learn something.

Last edited:
Haha. No, even in your "good years" you never were far if at all above us.

Ever considered you're being farmed out to Ballarat while we take the west?

I'd consider that. But on evidence it's south you are going. Over bass strait.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
MaddAdam, North's official website states the club in $2 million debt at the moment. I'm fairly sure the Demons' current debt exceeds that figure, are they about to get relocated? The amount of debt a club is in is not the sole determining factor as to whether the AFL wants that club to relocate. As has been previously pointed out, the NMFC is going from 2 to 3 home games in Tasmania this coming season and didn't the Kangaroos' board recently discuss the prospect of more Tassie games without consulting their members? Add to that losing Ballarat and the prospect of gaining a Tassie academy. Isn't it obvious what is happening here? The AFL has made no secret of their plans to relocate North in the past so why do you think the club is safe this time?

The AFL can make life difficult for North (ie scheduling lowing drawing opponents for home games) if they don't want to play ball when it comes to Tasmania. If it does get to the point where North is playing 7 home games in Tassie then they already have one foot in the door. More than one foot actually, 7 home games in Tasmania and 4 in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back