Karmichael Hunt

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
afl_hunt-300x0.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/back-in-the-hunt-20101202-18ibi.html

Tackling aside, Australian rules isn't coming easily to Karmichael Hunt, but he's getting there.

A FEW thousand people watched Karmichael Hunt take his first real kick of an Australian rules ball. They saw him boot two early goals in his debut VFL match on an oval in Craigieburn and then fade out of the game, wondering whether each handball, tackle or chase proved he would transform himself into an AFL player and succeed at his newly chosen sport, or that he would fail miserably. Snap judgments abound when you are the league's first highly priced convert.

She writes some good articles Emma Quayle.

K seems to be coming along OK. Wonder what the odds are of him playing in Rd 2?

Bluey says that if they were to pick the side for Rd 2 right now K would start on the back pocket. He is training the house down and I think will surprise us all

Just watched the footage of the Virgin sponsorship presser. Karmichael is looking quite fit - seems to have trimmed down a lot from when he played at Craigieburn. If his tank is up to it, it would be good to see him get a run in the middle to give a bit of protection to GA Jr and the younger mids - just smash some opposition tags to soften them up a bit ;)

07_KarmichaelHunt.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 7
DOB 17/11/1986
HEIGHT 186cm
WEIGHT 92kg

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/karmichael-hunt/

Hunt made the highly publicised switch to AFL from rugby league and rugby union last year.

A proud, committed and extraordinarily naturally gifted athlete, Hunt will leave no stone unturned to realise a quite incredible personal dream: to be the first man ever to play rugby league, rugby union and AFL at an elite level.

And if his hard-running, hard-tackling, and gritty defensive form in the VFL form this year and his burning intensity on the pre-season training track is anything to go by, Hunt is well on his way.

Hunt made his National Rugby League debut in 2004 with the Brisbane Broncos, played every game that year, and won the Dally M Rookie of the Year award for his stellar opening season. In 2006 he realised a childhood dream by representing Queensland and Australia.

Over the course of his five year stint in rugby league, Hunt played 124 games for the Broncos, represented Queensland in 11 State of Origin games, and lined up for Australia on ten occasions.

He cited the need for a fresh challenge as the reason for a controversial switch to rugby union in 2009 and was an integral part of French rugby union Top 14 side Biarritz Olympique's successful 2010 season, one which saw the club reach the final of the prestigious Heineken Cup European Club Championship.

But nothing could usurp the controversy attached to the July 2009 announcement that Hunt would make the quantum leap to a third professional football code when he signed a three year deal with AFL's newest club,

Hunt has been earmarked as a back pocket, but if his aerobic fitness begins to match his innate strength and agility, an occasional run through the midfield wouldn't surprise.

Channel 7 interview with Karmichael from last year (also includes interview with Israel Folau) -

[YOUTUBE]v4l_4wB49ys[/YOUTUBE]

Another interesting article on Karmichael's progress :thumbsu:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/my-love-for-broncos-died-when-wane-bennett-left-says-karmichael-hunt/story-fn6z3p5k-1225986444568

With 12 weeks to go before the Suns play their inaugural match against Carlton on April 2, Hunt has trimmed down below 90kg, 8kg lighter than when he played French rugby union for Biarritz nine months ago.

He has also given himself a strong chance of lining up in defence in the historic match at the Gabba by improving his aerobic fitness, now running 2km time trials in seven minutes.

"To put that in perspective, most of your small forwards and defenders and some of the half-forwards would be around that mark," said Suns assistant coach and Norm Smith Medallist Shaun Hart.

"I don't have any doubt he will get his fitness and running to a level which will allow him to play good minutes through the midfield."

The debate on this will be settled this football year,it doesn't matter what is written or said, it is how he performs in the AFL and in this case I will trust my personal observations as lots of powerful vested interests pushing barrows around on this issue.

The other natural progression for truth is that the coaching staff need performances on the field for their own careers so I daresay those that have had honeymoon positions on the Suns list will find the blow torch of scrutiny directed at them for the first time.

Absolutely. I think the honeymoon period has just about ended already. Once the boys step over the line to play against AFL opposition they're all going to be scrutinised more heavily than ever before. I think the younger players will be given a bit more leeway (at least externally), but if expected results and improvement aren't forthcoming heads will roll - it's the AFL way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a bit bemused by Bluey continually throwing K onto blokes with about 4 inches height advantage. He might get away with it at VFL level and at training but I fear at AFL level against a bloke like Goodes he could get any confidence he's built up destroyed in an hour. Then again, who else do we have to play on Goodes? Let's pray he does well.

Simon Black on K -

Hunt was another to show encouraging signs as he soaked up another lesson in his AFL crash course.

"I had not seen him much, but I thought he was good," Black said of Hunt.

"I was actually quite surprised (by) his ability to make decisions with the footy in his hand.

"Obviously, he has a lot to learn but I was impressed with how far he had come.

"I think he has potential to play a lot of games.

"He is certainly a tough bugger.

"He copped a whack that looked like a car crash from where I was standing, but he got up pretty quickly."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/david-swallow-karmichael-hunt-impress-simon-black/story-e6frepf6-1226021280343

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/suns-warn-of-frightening-karmichael-hunt-20110328-1cd9l.html

Suns warn of 'frightening' Karmichael Hunt
Jim Morton
March 28, 2011 - 6:39PM
AAP

Karmichael Hunt will debut for the Gold Coast on Saturday night and Carlton have been warned he has the ability and licence to split his opponents in half.

"I've said: Go out and make mistakes. If you give away a free kick there's probably every chance the bloke won't be able to take it anyway. But, in a fair way so you don't get reported, just hit him. I want to see you hit someone."

Looking forward to it myself :)

I've been watching both Suns games pretty closely, and he's doing a pretty good job..
He got about 10 disposals against the Bulldogs, and I hear that not one of his direct opponents during a game has kicked a goal on him yet.

He's still not quite sure what to do when he gets the footy, or who to pass it to, but he is very happy to take on tacklers and always seems to get through or get the ball away, which is great.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of his game, he seems to be improving pretty quickly.

Saw his game today, against the demons.

He didn't do an awful lot on the first half, and was outmarked in defence by Liam Jurrah and another Demon opponent.
But in the 3rd quarter he had a more attacking role, and did some pretty impressive things with the footy in the centre of the ground.. Was very impressed with several of his plays in that 3rd quarter, however his game overall wasn't markedly improved from Rnd 3.

Anyway here are some stats.
3 kicks, 6 handpasses (at 78% eff) 2 marks, 2 tackles.

It's not the AA side but K has made the QLD Team of the Year :thumbsu:

Huge effort for essentially his first full year playing footy.

http://www.neafl.com.au/index.php?id=16&tx_ttnews[year]=2011&tx_ttnews[month]=09&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=575&cHash=8b60c2afd7d34f00a4c2597c5a36550e

KARMICHAEL HUNT MAKES QUEENSLAND TEAM OF THE YEAR
Rugby league convert Karmichael Hunt is among six first-time inclusions in The Courier-Mail 2011 Queensland Team of the Year.

Karmichael Hunt
Monday, 5 September, 2011

Rugby league convert Karmichael Hunt is among six first-time inclusions in The Courier-Mail Queensland Team of the Year.

Other new faces are Hunt’s Gold Coast Suns teammates Joel Wilkinson, Rory Thompson and Charlie Dixon, the Brisbane Lions’ Claye Beams and Collingwood’s Lachlan Keeffe.

The side was:
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Daniel Merrett, Joel Wikinson
HB: Karmichael Hunt, Tom Williams, Sam Gilbert
C: Josh Drummond, Dayne Beams, Cheynee Stiller
HF: Brendan Whitecross, Nick Riewoldt (c), Michael Osborne
F: David Hale, Kurt Tippett, Ricky Petterd
R: Zac Smith, Andrew Raines, David Armitage
INT: Rory Thompson, Claye Beams, Charlie Dixon, Lachlan Keeffe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back