KB on the Couch

Remove this Banner Ad

Jaysus, KB is sounding like a complete fool. More fatigued players means better skills?
More fatigued players means a lot more space for players to use their skills in.

There is a reason why kicking efficiency has steadily decreased over time since first being recorded 15 years ago, and it's not because skill levels have decreased.

You can clearly see which guy between Dunstall and KB are getting a cheque from AFL house now.

KB is so right on lots of his points. Interchange will never go but going back to 10 per quarter could work.

On the rolling maul issue it is suprising that no one has suggested the umpire just go in and ball it up after 2-3 seconds, don't allow the maul. If it is not allowed then the players either have to have ball up after ball up or do something different to get the ball out, you know something radical like kicking or handballing it!!!

Umpiring could fix the rolling maul in one week. It is a blight on the game.

where is the conclusive proof that interchange is the reason why we are seeing rolling mauls and bad play because of the interchange.

they don't like seeing a 100 interchanges a match because it's too many for 1 team.

the old days the umpire just threw the ball up or bounced it straight away. these days the umpires are worried about who the rucks are and where he is going after the bounce

If we get rid of interchanges

Burst players like Swan will struggle and softies like Clarke will thrive.

Agree with getting rid of the interchange, I have wanted that for a while now, but I don't subscribe to KB's rose-coloured view of the past. The game is about as good as it has ever been.

KB has been one of the main factors, in turning the game to crap.

Though I don't agree it's crap, but there are certain decisions that have annoyed me , most that he has been a part of .
Spot on. How long was he on the rules committee and whenever someone had a dig at the game, he criticized them. Now he's not there and he's saying it, total hypocrite. Having said that, I agreed with a lot of what he said last night. The game is not unique anymore, like it once was and if we want it to succeed in area's like Western Sydney, the current product wont.

Haha righto champ.

KB is just a bitter old man who is upset that no one wanted his opinion on the laws of the game anymore. We ain't going to go from 3 on the bench back to 0. He's kidding if he thinks that the standard of footy would improve. We'd see players spent by the 2nd quarter and the standard of play would drop off immensely. The flood of players around the ball has nothing to do with interchange, it's purely a tactical move by the coaches.

Like all sports, AFL has evolved, the day of the FF isn't dead but the day of the FF kicking 100 goals per year is becoming less likely. After all it is a team game. Who knows, the wheel may turn again and it becomes a regular occurrence.

Good to see you lift your game !!

Dont share your view of where the game would go if interchange was limited, but that is the debate, not your depiction of a guy who has put heaps into our game.

Hands down the worst episode of On the Couch in history. Having to sit through 40 minutes of Richmond and Carlton bullshit. And then KB trying to push his agenda. JUST * OFF AND DIE KEVIN YOU ARE A CANCER ON THE GAME!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thought he performed well although the Rocket part of the rule debate was the best.

Dunstall's response regarding rule changes was poor. Never addressed what the opposition had mentioned (rolling mauls and players handing the ball to eachother) and just deflected. Played the man on Rocket saying "well it's his fault anyway" Rocket as a coach is different to Rocket as a balanced view on the aesthetics of the game.

Dunstall was suggesting that the speed of the game is quicker than ever. I would disagree.

The potential foot speed, or burst speed of players, may be faster than ever. But let's face it, how often do we see that?

The actual speed of the game, I assumed measured by ball movement, is nowhere near quicker than ever.

You can clearly see which guy between Dunstall and KB are getting a cheque from AFL house now.

KB is so right on lots of his points. Interchange will never go but going back to 10 per quarter could work.

On the rolling maul issue it is suprising that no one has suggested the umpire just go in and ball it up after 2-3 seconds, don't allow the maul. If it is not allowed then the players either have to have ball up after ball up or do something different to get the ball out, you know something radical like kicking or handballing it!!!

Umpiring could fix the rolling maul in one week. It is a blight on the game.
This. The rolling maul is a disgrace. In the name of keeping the game going the umps are instructed to wait as long as possible in the off chance the ball will pop out. Problem is when it does another 10 jump all over it by which time everyone on the ground is hovering around. They then take for ever to ball it up and we have the same situation. If they want to keep the game moving they need to speed this area up significantly. Not saying it's total fix but gee it would help. So frustrating watching the umps do some circle work to final hear them after 15secs blow the whistle for a ball up.

Dunstall was suggesting that the speed of the game is quicker than ever. I would disagree.

The potential foot speed, or burst speed of players, may be faster than ever. But let's face it, how often do we see that?

The actual speed of the game, I assumed measured by ball movement, is nowhere near quicker than ever.

Dunstall is confusing the individual physical toll of the players which is phenomonal with the speed of the game, e.g the maul & the end to end when a club gets free - no Phil Manassa runs these days.

Hands down the worst episode of On the Couch in history. Having to sit through 40 minutes of Richmond and Carlton bullshit. And then KB trying to push his agenda. JUST **** OFF AND DIE KEVIN YOU ARE A CANCER ON THE GAME!

i dunno some of the episodes where Roosy was uming and ahing about going back to coaching for 20 minutes were pretty bloody bad.

Agree with getting rid of the interchange, I have wanted that for a while now, but I don't subscribe to KB's rose-coloured view of the past. The game is about as good as it has ever been.

Yup.. KB is a has been. Why his opinion means anything these days is beyond me. He reminds me of my granddad when he started going a bit senile.

Why coulnd't they get someone of worth like Carey. Or get bloody Rocket Eade to do it. He is on everything else.

Ever consider that now he is off the rules committee he can say what he truly thinks?

Everyone is quick to assume KB ran the committee and changed the rules on his own? Where is the proof of that? people have come and gone from that committee and not one have come out and attacked his position

He was the only person on the board that had the guts to face up to changes introduced by the committee (put forward by the commission, not KB) even though he could have easily batted questions away.

0004300095353_500X500.jpg

Haha righto champ.

KB is just a bitter old man who is upset that no one wanted his opinion on the laws of the game anymore. We ain't going to go from 3 on the bench back to 0. He's kidding if he thinks that the standard of footy would improve. We'd see players spent by the 2nd quarter and the standard of play would drop off immensely. The flood of players around the ball has nothing to do with interchange, it's purely a tactical move by the coaches.

Like all sports, AFL has evolved, the day of the FF isn't dead but the day of the FF kicking 100 goals per year is becoming less likely. After all it is a team game. Who knows, the wheel may turn again and it becomes a regular occurrence.

Well, if this 'tactical' move by the coaches results in their players being buggered by the 2nd quarter because of minimal interchange, then perhaps the interchange might have something to do with it after all?

I agree with KB on this, and fairly confident that if anyone had considered for a moment that constant rotations would result, we'd never had gone to four on the bench to start with. Of course with the very limited coaching staffs they had back then, it would have been virtually impossible to implement, and thus it was pretty much an unintended consequence of increased football department spending.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back