Strategy Keep Jenkins in defence!

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Yes, I did watch the game. Thank you for asking.

The reason I think we should keep him there is because he was so bad at it (stay with me). Outbodied, lost the ball in the air in some contests, positioning average.

I think we should keep him in defence through the preseason and perhaps first third/half of next season.

All the weaknesses he has displayed as a forward get magnified in defence - you get exposed. As a forward he has some tricks and upside but at the moment short comings include his ability in one on one contests, ability to create a spill even when the kick doesn't favour you, to bring the ball to ground at all costs. These skills would have to improve playing against a direct opponent in defence. Not to mention the lessons he would learn trailing after some of the opposition's best forwards - their leading patterns, their reading of the play, their work ethic, their bodywork.

Then about halfway through the season swing him back forward after that two/three month education period. I think he would return to the forward line as a more rounded and better player.

Last edited:

It was good to see him been held accountable today. And up his workrate and having to man up in defence.
It really showed what type of footy nous is required all over the ground.
I wonder if Luke Thompson even allowed himself a little giggle watching JJ down back.
Makes you appreciate Talia and Brown even more for the work they do every week down back

I'm down with it. Actually think that while his reading of the play, body positioning etc. was clearly off, he shows a calmness and confidence that will not only get him by, but will actually be an asset to our defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jenkins in defence could work it would save us trading an A grade player to gws for Davis or offering 700K to get frawly

Against St Kilda as a bit of a learning type game of what is expected...sure. Teach the lad how to kick a penetrating short pass, because he sucks at the moment at it. Also maybe mention that if you have the pace you should use it along with his booming boot could be handy. That said half a game would have been ample and Pods should have gone back in the second half.

I am glad he didn't set the world on fire today in the back line. Would have given everyone false hope like Smack did the first week he played CHB and absolutely starred, at least with this effort it is easy to see where he needs to improve but nothing will improve until he gets his intensity levels up, once that happens all the rest will click

Has all the tools to be a very good CHB. Could be a good opportunity for him to learn the game.
How so. He rarely takes a contested mark, regularly gets out bodied in one on one contests and has the intensity at the contest of an under 8's kid. Get rid of him. We hang onto flawed footballers for way too long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back