Keep Watson in the 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm calling it..

It's time to keep Matthew (Bomber) Watson in the 22.

His mistakes are those that VFL graduates make when the pace of the game gets to them.

He knows what he is doing and will be a great CHB

Wholeheartedly agree. There is nothing more for him to learn at VFL level.

He plays the percentages well & you feel comfortable when the ball is in his hands. Of course there will be days when he gets beaten, but both Jamo & Hendo have had those days this season, more often than not because the defensive pressure up the field is not good enough.

I feel like Watson is a confidence player. Keep him in the team and give him regular games, and I think he will reward us. I think that he learns more when he is regularly played in the team then if he is playing in the VFL.

Hrrrrm still not sold. Looked slow and lost the ball a few times. Happy to persist but may be exposed...

Yeah, it does weaken our backline as he is nowhere near Hendo's level but McInnes coming in has helped to add more steel. We definitely need Henderson up forward so we are taking the odds to Jamison, Watson and McInnes working together in the back half.

Definitely agree. Don't agree with nick naming him bomber!

Its a sarcastic crack at the fact he was a diehard bomber fan and his uncle is Steven Alessio

you should watch the video of when he gets draft to Carlton

Its just as bemusing as Lucas's drafting video.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hrrrrm still not sold. Looked slow and lost the ball a few times. Happy to persist but may be exposed...
He is coming of VFL pace. Give him a week or two to get back up to speed.

He should be fine... especially considering that he has played bugger all games in the last 2 seasons.

I think that having Watson in the side actually stabilises us a lot more than having Waite in the side up front. When Waite is in the side, we become very Waite focused and we tend to look for him more than we should.

Today, having Henderson and Rowe up front suddenly made us a lot more diverse and caused a lot of issues.

Watson is still very raw and needs another preseason with about 20 more games to the end of next season and he should have cemented himself into the starting 18.

Waite still has a role in the side, but I think that we should be playing him further up the ground.

Keep him in. No point playing him in the 2s anymore. Give him experience and see if he is worth persisting with (which at the moment IMO he is).

Plus, I like seeing Lachie forward.

Must stay in. As previously mentioned he cant learn anymore in the VFL. Get a solid lot of games into him. Let him grow into a role at senior level.

Im not saying hes all it and a bit, but id rather see him develop than rot in the VFL.

Go Watto!

I believe that it was HARKER who made a good point on Watson over a year ago that in my opinion is as true as any statement could be on Watson. He said (if I have the poster right) that Watson wouldn't show the signs necessary to be a productive AFL footballer by playing in the VFL. That he would do it by playing in the AFL. To me it isn't that he can't learn anything more in the VFL rather it's a case of the two games being different styles of football. Once Watson is able to catch up with the pace of an AFL game - he has all of the attributes to do so - that it will suit him much more than the VFL style does.

He needs to stay in. Henderson needs to stay forward. It's a complete game changer. Waite to be the number two once he returns (if he returns). If he's having a dog of a day then you have the boon of swinging Hendo back if you haven't played a third tall down back to begin with (McInnes could do it dependent upon the opponent).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back