Keep Watson in the 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Watson seemed to get the forward ruck quite a bit. I thought he had a great game. I really feel that him holding down CHB and Henderson as CHF will be best for us going forward.

My question is, if all are healthy how does our back 6 look?

Watson seemed to get the forward ruck quite a bit. I thought he had a great game. I really feel that him holding down CHB and Henderson as CHF will be best for us going forward.

Well, they were very good last season, so if we keep them together as much as possible this year, they should only get better as a unit. I think introducing Watto as a regular at CHB will be an improvement in the long run though. Give him the time this season to make the position his own. I want to see more of those raking left foot kicks launching us into attack.

I still enjoy remembering that kick-in against Nawf last season, which sailed over everyone and landed well inside the centre square to set up a coast-to-coast. 14 seconds, from goal to goal. What a weapon!

Well, they were very good last season, so if we keep them together as much as possible this year, they should only get better as a unit. I think introducing Watto as a regular at CHB will be an improvement in the long run though. Give him the time this season to make the position his own. I want to see more of those raking left foot kicks launching us into attack.

I still enjoy remembering that kick-in against Nawf last season, which sailed over everyone and landed well inside the centre square to set up a coast-to-coast. 14 seconds, from goal to goal. What a weapon!
With you there Biggus. I know we are all being a bit wary of expecting too much of Watson but if he does make it I think it is hard to imagine just what an attacking weapon that left boot could be. It is not only huge it is precise and a bona fide zone breaker.

Good question and certainly not an easy one to answer. We'll be hoping for a settled back 6 but with so many options it's hard to see how they all fit in.

We've brought in two players, Docherty and Everitt, both of whom will no doubt feature back there at times throughout 2014. However, an injury interrupted preseason means Doc likely won't feature at senior level from the get-go, whilst Everitt will be utilized in a number of positions across the park.

If he can consistently perform to the level he showed on Saturday against North Melbourne, I also wouldn't be completely ruling out Dylan Buckley. Showed some real dash and may be groomed to replace Simmo over the next few years. Not dissimilar in attack on the footy despite both having a very slight build.

However, I suspect we'll likely see a very similar backline to the one we saw last season, at least initially;

B: Tuohy - Jamison - McInnes
HB: Walker - Watson - Scotland/Everitt/Simpson

I liked his massive goal last year. Reckon he should be taking set shots for goal from the centre circle area, could almost be about time to "reboot" the "woof" !
ctacp
curlier than a catoggio pube

However, I suspect we'll likely see a very similar backline to the one we saw last season, at least initially;

I agree Jeremias that is our likely defensive unit for the year but would rather have the following;

B: Tuohy - Watson - Jamison
HB: Walker/Everitt - Henderson - Simpson/Buckley

My reasoning is that Jamison and Henderson have a really excellent understanding of where each other are, which should not be under valued.
Want to prolong Jamison's career and for Watson to learn of him. So Watson would take the FF but Jamison would be there to provide the safety net.
Now I would be happy if you swapped Jamison and Watson around for this year with the view of having Watson move to the spine next year if he progresses in his development this year.

Good question and certainly not an easy one to answer. We'll be hoping for a settled back 6 but with so many options it's hard to see how they all fit in.

We've brought in two players, Docherty and Everitt, both of whom will no doubt feature back there at times throughout 2014. However, an injury interrupted preseason means Doc likely won't feature at senior level from the get-go, whilst Everitt will be utilized in a number of positions across the park.

If he can consistently perform to the level he showed on Saturday against North Melbourne, I also wouldn't be completely ruling out Dylan Buckley. Showed some real dash and may be groomed to replace Simmo over the next few years. Not dissimilar in attack on the footy despite both having a very slight build.

That's basically what I had in my head too J. Everitt to go back match ups pertaining.

With the addition of Everitt and Docherty as well as (expected) improvement from Watson, I dare say we have the ability to genuinely pick horses-for-courses teams to match up against our opposition, as well as have flexibility on the ground once we are out there too.

Player Height
Henderson 196
Watson 195
Everitt 194
Jamison 193
McInness 191
Walker 190
White 190
Tuohey 187
Docherty 184
Simpson 182
Yarran 180

With newbies still to be tested:
Rowe 198
Giles 195
Bootsma 191
Buckley 179
Temay 179

Thats a whole lot of guys that can play as defenders of various types - key position, third tall, rebounding, minding small forwards... you could also put the argument forward for some other guys to be included in the list too.

End result will be the ability to pick a team based on how to best exploit the oppositions forward line, such as picking a third running defender since they only have two tall targets, playing only one small rebounding defender and having a number of talls there with another midfielder behind the ball to take space away from several leading/marking forwards etc.

(EDIT: No Bootsma coz SAKC!!!! Nah not really. Would put him in the as yet untested category maybe).

Player Height
Henderson 196
Watson 195
Everitt 194
Jamison 193
McInness 191
Walker 190
White 190
Tuohey 187
Docherty 184
Simpson 182
Yarran 180

With newbies still to be tested:
Rowe 198
Giles 195
Bootsma 191
Buckley 179
Temay 179

Thats a whole lot of guys that can play as defenders of various types - key position, third tall, rebounding, minding small forwards... you could also put the argument forward for some other guys to be included in the list too.
And about 2/3's of these guys can play in other area's of the ground also which is what's required in todays footy. They could go forward, play in the midfield or on a wing which will be important.

Last edited:
500full.jpg

bam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

doesn't have the hands or the rucking capacity of cas but is a more talented forward.
Hmm. That's pretty much it.

Whose assets are more influential and beneficial to the team balance?

Casboults rucking 'capacity' is somewhat diluted by the fact he only rucks really 5-10% of the game. His hands are what the difference is.

Really happy with him today. Did what he had to do when he had to hit the scoreboard. Will be one I think we'll all be keeping an eye on over the preseason.
What about the kick in the last quarter that picked out Casboult perfectly? The 50-60m beautifully weighted pass around the 10 minute mark of the last. If Casboult had caught it I'd need a change of pants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back