Keep Watson in the 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still unsure why Watson has held back in unloading with that leg of his in recent months.

That horrible 10mt. chip kick that got turned over and resulted in a goal for Hawthorn was something he wasn't doing last year.
I'm pretty sure that it must have come by way of directive as he must be working on all lengths of kick and not just the 70mt bombs we know him for.

Next year...........................

He's got just a wonderful strike of the footy when he gives it a roost that he almost looks awkward when he tries to go short. One thing that its highlighted for me though is he isnt just a one trick pony, I reckon he could land the footy on a 20 cent piece if he didnt overthink it.

Showed a bit which is good in his last game, still got a bit to work on but as I said from the moment I saw him, he's a forward and not a back and he won't need to get a lot of it to do damage.

What I liked from his game against Essendon:
Accurate kicking for goal.
Good field kicking, even if the receiver did stuff it up at times.
Effort to bring poor kicks to ground, some of our other forwards, Casboult in particular but Waite at times too give up and let the opposition mark it, Watson went back to a few kicks over his head and made sure it came to ground.

What I didn't like
Not always but a lot of the time he stops and sits back and spectates after the ball has been contested in the air. A few times he needed to follow up with second efforts and apply pressure, chase and hunt the ground ball and didn't. It's not in his game at the moment and needs to be worked on though there were a few occasions where he did follow up after the contest which is good. Big strong guy like this will be a lot more dangerous when he goes and gets his own footy when it's on the ground.

Still not sure where he is best suited, he looks and plays more like a full forward but I feel with his kicking that he might be better suited to being further up the ground. He and Casboult also tend to want to play the same areas and were often found getting in each others way. Something for the coaches and these players to work out as they play more together. Over all he showed enough to suggest that he has a place in the team up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back