Universal Love Keith Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

As an historical footnote to set the record straight, KT was never the SANFL's preferred option - they wanted to send in John Lyons to cut the spending of the leanest footy department in the AFL. It was the SANFL's end game to try and wind up the club and free up the second license.

The Thomas push came from AFL House and was later backed by the SANFL with little other option.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...er-port-takeover/story-e6freco3-1226114997535

Last edited:
As an historical footnote to set the record straight, KT was never the SANFL's preferred option - they wanted to send in John Lyons to cut the spending of the leanest footy department in the AFL. It was the SANFL's end game to try and wind up the club and free up the second license.

The Thomas push came from AFL House and was later backed by the SANFL with little other option.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...er-port-takeover/story-e6freco3-1226114997535

Gee I wonder who it was that mentioned on radio -without proof- that duncanson was dictating selection?

Wouldn't have been little benny BBQ - s cRowe now would it?

Tough times, we were within a bees whisker of being rebranded. Love all the comments from crows fans saying that getting rid of the port adelaide name would have saved the license. Funny that we went the complete opposite and what a surprise........

I fear that clubs like Melbourne and Brissie would like to get their hands on KT and the AFL would probably subsidise in part. Oh how the cows would love to have KT but I really can never see that one happening.

I know this is going to sound weird, but I don't think he will because when he talks, he talks as if he has always been a Port supporter. He is a former Norwood champion and captain and yet he sounds like he has always barracked for Port. I reckon he was always a Port closet fan and this year is his coming out. Expect an announcement from him about this in the not too distant future. I don't think he's going anywhere. He's a big fish in a small pond in two team town Adelaide and he would be enjoying his new found high profile. And so he should because unlike the cross two cheating scum, he is doing things within the laws and with integrity.

I know this is going to sound weird, but I don't think he will because when he talks, he talks as if he has always been a Port supporter. He is a former Norwood champion and captain and yet he sounds like he has always barracked for Port. I reckon he was always a Port closet fan and this year is his coming out. Expect an announcement from him about this in the not too distant future. I don't think he's going anywhere. He's a big fish in a small pond in two team town Adelaide and he would be enjoying his new found high profile. And so he should because unlike the cross two cheating scum, he is doing things within the laws and with integrity.

Keith Thomas is one of the smartest CEOs I've come across.
He sees, he thinks, he feels. He talks yet never says too much nor too little.
He's casually multi-dimensional.
He's an absolute pleasure to work with. And to work for.

Yep, even if he was willing to go elsewhere I don't think it'd be until we've got a flag and he's put all the systems in place that he'd have confidence the next person wouldn't have to start from scratch again.

Remember KT in a presser around the time that AD announced he would be leaving. The presser was about something else altogether but one of the journos asked KT if he would be throwing his hat in the ring. He said it was 'about a million miles away' from where he wanted to be.

The execution was diabolical and I am very embarrassed.

What I passed on were not rumours. I witnessed the goings on but as I said, I should have kept me gob shut and just posted the initial post and let it be.

I'm more than pleased with what Keith Thomas emailed/put in the public domain and that's the end of it.

Hey Northa

No room for complacency

:p

I personally thought the execution was bang on.

It's a marathon not a sprint, and we're off to a good start but we need to play better every single week.

Fact is, Keith Thomas grew up as a Port Adelaide diehard but was located in the wrong zone, ie Norwood.

Gee I wonder who it was that mentioned on radio -without proof- that duncanson was dictating selection?

Wouldn't have been little benny BBQ - s cRowe now would it?

That was a Graham Cornes conspiracy theory originally. Which for a person who's all over twitter threatening defamation law suits every time someone calls him out on something and he doesn't like it, it's rather astounding to be honest.

We HAVE to hang on to KT, Kochie, Ken and Burgo off the field for a few more years yet to set up the structure for years of being a powerhouse club.

This is an absolute imperative, despite mega offers bound to be being put together by rival clubs, rival codes even, and also the AFL itself. Hell, if Rucci thinks Gill may be tempted to employ Triggy, then don't think for an instant that some of Port's off field staff aren't being considered by the nabobs at AFL House.

Stay - stay - stay guys (sounds like a Wings song :eek:).

Keith Thomas is one of the smartest CEOs I've come across.
He sees, he thinks, he feels. He talks yet never says too much nor too little.
He's casually multi-dimensional.
He's an absolute pleasure to work with. And to work for.

That's a very interesting post. Interesting observations. Like the sentiment.

We HAVE to hang on to KT, Kochie, Ken and Burgo off the field for a few more years yet to set up the structure for years of being a powerhouse club.

This is an absolute imperative, despite mega offers bound to be being put together by rival clubs, rival codes even, and also the AFL itself. Hell, if Rucci thinks Gill may be tempted to employ Triggy, then don't think for an instant that some of Port's off field staff aren't being considered by the nabobs at AFL House.

Stay - stay - stay guys (sounds like a Wings song :eek:).

They'll never ever tear us apart :D

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can confirm that. I was at school with him, a port boy right up to moving from school footy to Norwood training.

We were in a minority at our Norwood zoned school, but mostly winners on Monday mornings.

Welcome to the Real Minority Capital .
As everyone, except maybe the TPFP converts, have been told ad nauseam, I was Norwood High School along with Rexie J and Dobie G in the 1960s, and we were all Port Magpies against the odds, though a few years separate from each other.
I grew up in Evandale, went to Wellington Road Primary School (now Trinity Gardens).

I can confirm that. I was at school with him, a port boy right up to moving from school footy to Norwood training.

We were in a minority at our Norwood zoned school, but mostly winners on Monday mornings.

Name dropper ;) :p

3594-i-knew-it.jpg

I stand corrected - however, I dont believe he was ever Captain of Norwood FC.

I think Danny Jenkins, Taylor, Aish and McIntosh were probably Captain during his time there.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewc...ter-uniteds-hiring-and-firing-of-david-moyes/
3. Groom successors from within when you have a winning team

I really like the setup of Port Adelaide off the field at the moment.
We obviously have a strong formula working for us at the moment with a strong president, CEO, coach, fitness coach structure.
What I think is really promising is that we are already putting in place structures to ensure that this on and off-field success continues into the future - the idea that if one drops off, there is another there that has been groomed and trained and can step in and pick up the slack.
We're not there yet, but I feel that KT, Kochie, Hinkley, Hart, Burgess are moving us in that direction
- Hart overseeing the coaching and making each coach accountable, effectively giving the coaches coaching training
- Burgess setting up the university course run out of the club which will hopefully be used to groom a successor to Burgess who can learn from him and then eventually take his place
- the Port Adelaide Magpies system where one of our coaches can get experience in a senior coaching role employing our own structures and ideas.

I found this Forbes article very interesting which details the business and leadership lessons learned from the hiring and firing of Moyes at Manchester United and I feel that are management is currently trying to put in place measures to prevent any of these fundamental business no-nos from taking place.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewc...ter-uniteds-hiring-and-firing-of-david-moyes/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back