BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Phil Opiontube Phillies
As for the other two they have had great careers. Kelly I never thought would be the same player after his broken leg but he has comeback to be a very very good player. I feel like Corey he will be underrated and not be considered elite like some of his premiership teammates, but this is unfair as he has been a really good player. His selfless role in 09 playing back pocket after Hunt went down and his outstanding GF helped win us that flag and show his quality.
Completely agree about Kelly being underrated he did a lot of little things in those Grand Finals (and many other games) that really mattered, at his peak he would've had to have been one of the most manic tacklers in the game. Also at his peak was a very underrated kick, he was a lot more accurate (especially under pressure) with his disposal than many people tend to think/remember.

We'll find out during trade week if he knocked back a contract, as we might get a compensation pick in return, I can't remember but did Carlton get one for Waite? if they did we'd probably get one for Johnson.

No they didnt.

Compo is net based on ins and outs so if we get Danger (or Selwood) in we wont get compo for SJ anyway.

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong
If Johnson stays, How do we fit all the young guys in the forward line who are about to start their careers? Guys like McCarthy, Gregson, Kersten, Menzel, Cockatoo, not to mention the tall timbers in Vardy, Clark, Hawkins, Walker.
They are going to be inside forward fifty on most occasions. Would you prefer to cut one of those players so that Johnson can play on for 1 more year?
What is the point of that. Why not go through the trial and error process and see which of these blokes have got what it takes?
2 of those players have struggled for fitness
and K is s**t

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes, but even that's underselling his form. It wasn't like he merely had a good year relative to the other veterans. He had a fantastic year by anyone's standards. The overwhelming majority of AFL mids and forwards never produce a single 20 disposal, 1.5 goal a game season across the entire careers.

From literally every single relevant standpoint - exposed form, structural importance, stylistic uniqueness, quality of potential replacements, list space available given number of other departures, significance of scoreboard impact, etc etc - cutting Johnson cannot be seen as anything other than a diabolically stupid, farcical decision. It makes literally zero sense. We have no incentive to do it and we're actively hurting the redevelopment of our list. I consider it nothing less than list management suicide.

In that game on Friday night against the Pies - i think it was in the last quarter - there was a ball up near the centre - SJ and Bartel were in their together - and i thought to myself - well Johnson still got his speed/pace - hes still got the attributes to be a good player - where as Bartel didnt and looked finished as a senior AFL Player

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
they have but will they next season?
Kersten is still young. I think we will see if he's upto it next year or not (if not traded by then).
Kersten's done pretty well for a guy that hasn't yet played 20 odd games of footy IMO. I still believe once our mids actually learn how to kick to a leading target instead of blindly bombing long he could have a real impact. He's the kind of guy that could get 5 kicks within 60 and win you a game if used properly.

Munich

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
BVB, LVP
Kersten's done pretty well for a guy that hasn't yet played 20 odd games of footy IMO. I still believe once our mids actually learn how to kick to a leading target instead of blindly bombing long he could have a real impact. He's the kind of guy that could get 5 kicks within 60 and win you a game if used properly.

Yep I like Kersten.

I think he'll eventually come good, needs consistent game time.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

yeh I agree.
As Mahlepi pointed out, his intensity is piss poor. I hope he has a strong preseason. I don't believe he had a full preseason this year as he had his knee drained to remove fluid. This had him on his backside for a month or more. We may see what he really has to offer if he remains on the list.

With Dangerfield, Selwood, Selwood, Duncan, Caddy in midfield, he may get a lot better delivery.

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
I think its not so important to think how we're going to fit player x in or player y in to the 22 given that teams consistently player more than 30 player per year. We've used 35 players per year for the last three years. You'd have to go back to 2009 to the last year we played less than that number. Guys like Kersten, Walker and Smedts and our other promising players of questionable durability will get their chance at senior level as some point during the year.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
If Johnson stays, How do we fit all the young guys in the forward line who are about to start their careers? Guys like McCarthy, Gregson, Kersten, Menzel, Cockatoo, not to mention the tall timbers in Vardy, Clark, Hawkins, Walker.
They are going to be inside forward fifty on most occasions. Would you prefer to cut one of those players so that Johnson can play on for 1 more year?
What is the point of that. Why not go the trial and error process and see which of these blokes have got what it takes?

To expose the misguided nature of this line of reasoning one need only point out that it can be applied to literally any veteran at any club across the competition.

Why give Dane Swan another year instead of going trial and error and seeing which of the young Collingwood mids have what it takes? Why give Scott Thompson another year instead of going trial and error and seeing which of the young Adelaide mids have what it takes? Why give Nick Dal Santo another year instead of going trial and error and seeing which of the young North Melbourne mids have what it takes? Why give Nick Riewoldt another year instead of going trial and error and seeing which of the young St Kilda forwards have what it takes?

And so forth.

To buy in to the premise behind this argument is to commit oneself to the idea that any and all players over the age of 30 should be delisted so long as their club have drafted young players in the particular position they play. It's patently absurd. The possibility of opportunities opening up for McCarthy, Gregson, Kersten, Menzel or Cockatoo is not predicated on whether Johnson stays on for another year or not.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
As Mahlepi pointed out, his intensity is piss poor.
Tend to agree at times it is, but I think he's the type of player that just kind of looks lazy on the field even when he isn't. Among my many frustrations with our team this year were the amount of times he'd make space or lead well and wouldn't be used, in certain games he was very unlucky not to have kicked 3/4 goals or more.

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Let them go around in a car.
It's completely ridiculous if they play them. Worse than newmans 300th.

They've received their plaudits after the flags.
Put a game into a kid and move on.
I know I certainly have a reputation as a bit of a negative miser on here but that trumps me by a mile! Ha, ha, ha, surely you're taking the p*ss a bit?

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
All the best to the guys for all they have given the club - legends !! Will buy a beer if I ever run into them.

Lots of puppy dog loving eyes on the forum.

Id call it respect actually.
Respect being paid one last time that has been well earned.

Go Catters

As someone mentioned Claude, its possible SJ was offered a 2 year deal elsewhere, while we offered only one....sound familiar?

Would you consider it unjust then?

I think we should wait for the final washout before making judgements on the Club's actions.....it is an awfully difficult position for all involved.

Jun 2, 2006
Point Cook
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Supersonics, Greenbay
As someone mentioned Claude, its possible SJ was offered a 2 year deal elsewhere, while we offered only one....sound familiar?

I think we should wait for the final washout before making judgements on the Club's actions.....it is an awfully difficult position for all involved.

Well if he's offered two, we simply can't give him that.

Claude Balls

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong

Yeah I considered adding a caveat about potential unknown factors such as injury and the like, but just couldn't be bothered. As for your example, if he's been offered 2 years elsewhere then all the best Stevie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back