News Kelly and Stokes to announce retirements Wednesday

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep I like Kersten.

I think he'll eventually come good, needs consistent game time.

A potential forward line of:

Hawkins/Clark/Menzel/Kersten (with the likes of Motlop/Cockatoo/etc rotating through) ... would be interesting to see. Kersten needs to get out of the mindset of sitting on his heels and letting the more experienced players go for it though. Once he gets that sort of confidence then I think we may some good stuff from him.

also Teriyakicat - you can't measure that he carried himself so well when dropped for the 2009 GF, or the ability to put the drug scandal behind him ( honourable mention to the hairy cat there)

#ThanksStokesy #ThanksKel

10452985_890721950964467_8416201965764147089_o.png

Quality effort by two quality blokes.
Both will be in the annals of GFC history as integral members of the greatest period of success the club has ever seen to this point.

Whilst no announcement of retirement, I would not begrudge either taking a super top up for another year. They have earned that right to try.

And a classy but low key way to do it to. I feel more in tune with that style of announcement and thanks than the typical media presser.

Good on them and all the best going forward.

Go Catters

Quality effort by two quality blokes.
Both will be in the annals of GFC history as integral members of the greatest period of success the club has ever seen to this point.

Whilst no announcement of retirement, I would not begrudge either taking a super top up for another year. They have earned that right to try.

And a classy but low key way to do it to. I feel more in tune with that style of announcement and thanks than the typical media presser.

Good on them and all the best going forward.

Go Catters

Yep. A shame I cannot like this more than once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they retiring or is it just their last game for Geelong?
It sounds like "last game" no word of retirement, they are "parting ways". It sounds like they are going on. I would think they would have an idea by now who was interested in them etc.

Its going to be interesting as teams may not want to sign them as unrestricted free agents because it would potentially dilute compensation for losing free agents. Might get a late pick upgrade or something.

A nice little touch at a time when club stars are moving on. What a club!

FORMER dual-premiership player Josh Hunt says Geelong doesn't pay lip service when it comes to welcoming former stars back to the club regardless of whether they extend their careers at another club.

The Cats delisted Hunt at the end of 2013 after 198 games and 12 seasons and he joined Greater Western Sydney as a delisted free agent in his final year

"The beauty of the footy club is that they stand true to their word and you can go with their blessing and they welcome you back with open arms," Hunt said.

AFL website.

I think we've moved on from the past, it has taken a long while to bring Gary Hocking back to the club.
The hoary old one. There's a particular reason for that as you should know. The club has a proud record of warmly welcoming back former players and coaches.

The guy rejected a big paying three year deal to stay with the cats on a one year deal . The guy loves the cat. Occams razor people

No, it's just the club needs to move on at some time. I do understand that loyalty goes both ways, but he could have taken that deal. The club did call him to broach the idea.

I just think we do at times need to make hard decisions, and this is one if those times. From the interview with Hunt and Carter being released, it appears they are consultative at least to where these guys sit.

Stokes and Kelly appear happy with that.

also Teriyakicat - you can't measure that he carried himself so well when dropped for the 2009 GF, or the ability to put the drug scandal behind him ( honourable mention to the hairy cat there)
Most definitely and his character just shines through each season via those Community Champion awards. Considering that there are a large number of players putting in a fair bit of work into the community each season, it's a credit to Stokesy that he has been head and shoulders above the other boys in terms of the amount of work he dedicates to young indigenous boys in particular.

This will be his legacy at the club:

But football isn’t everything for Stokes, anymore. For a man who was originally overlooked at three-straight national drafts, life is a much broader picture than the daily on-field grind of training and playing. Helping change the lives of indigenous people is his calling.

When the hard-running Cat hangs up the boots and says goodbye to a club that has “given me the confidence to speak my mind” Stokes will head home to Darwin and peer into some of the most remote and desperate areas of the Northern Territory.
There, he wants to play an even greater “hands on” role to help “shine the light on the issues in the community and facing Aboriginal people”.
“It’s pretty bad compared to what some people might actually think,” he said.
“It’s one of those things where we constantly need to keep trying to help because it is a pretty sad state.
“I’ve always planned that once footy finishes to move up there and try to make a difference.”

At a club which values its players’ off-field behaviours as importantly as their on-field actions, the precise ball-carrier, who also doubles as the jovial host of the hit “Get Stoked” video program on the club’s website, is held in the highest regard.
Not only for his own personal turnaround, and his efforts to mentor youths, but also for the influence he is having helping grow and develop the Cats’ other six indigenous players.
When “Deadly Choices” approached Stokes and the club about joining forces, the popular Cat said it had to be an all-in affair. If Stokes was going to commit to the project, it had to be as a team.
Thankfully, he said, the Cats other indigenous players “jumped at it”.
“You are doing it for the kids to help them of course, but at the same time it does develop you as a person,” he said.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...2010-drug-arrest/story-fni5f6yf-1226904315494

Obviously that's when we had half a dozen indigenous players at the club- now we have maybe 3, with Stokes leaving, it'll be only Cockatoo and Bates left. I hope that one of them can take over where Stokesy has left off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back