bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Ken Shamrock speaks upon steroid use and the affect it will have on sports when its finished.

Very good read.

Shamrock, who never denied his own steroid use during his run in the formative years of the UFC, as well as with professional wrestling juggernaut WWE, strongly believes that the level of game play that we have grown accustomed to would be thrown out the window if we completely removed steroids from sports.

I think that when people talk about banning the substances, it's funny because I don’t think people really realise what they’re asking, or what they're saying," he said.

"If they take these things out of the sports, people are going to be backed up 20 years as far as competitiveness.The athleticism and the strength and the stuff these guys are doing will be dropped significantly and the entertainment value will drop with it, and I don’t really think people realize what they’re asking for.

"They're asking for the value of the entertainment to drop significantly and we’re going to be okay with that? because considering what we’re used to seeing, it's just not going to be the same. And I think people are saying 'oh it'll still be good, it'll still be this' I just don’t really believe they understand what it is that they’re really asking for."

Personally, I can see his take on it from his personal view. On the other hand, I also think he looks at the situation the wrong way. To say that steroid use will lower the level is a punch in the face to talent imo. Anybody who has or knows about "roids", knows that you still have to put in the hours to reach maximum levels.

Thoughts on Shamrocks views and your personal view and statements above.....Over to you BF

I think roids should not only be legalised in all competitve sport, but be made a requirement.

Would make all sport 10x as interesting.

Would love to see the Drug Olympics.

I think the world we be a much lovelier place if we encouraged everyone to take up steroid use.

/sarcasm.

Any combat sport is something that should discourage the use of steroids because you're not just damaging yourself. If you want to run fast, cycle for days or be a body builder then your use isn't affecting others as much. Guys in MMA, AFL, Rugby and NFL are hitting each other at full pace, which I feel makes it a little different. Stepping into the cage with a guy on roids and being punched and kicked in the face is not a sport that I want to see. In fact, it takes away from what I want to see.

Ol Kenny, He knew what was up

I have no doubt the performance level would decrease if steroids were totally eliminated. But that's not a valid reason for why they shouldn't be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back