Kennedy/Campbell responding to contentious umpiring decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
No doubt I'm biased, but I just think it's putting petrol on the fire to answer one query about a single umpiring decision in a game where 46 free kicks were paid. I think everyone's happy with the spirit of glasnost that has occasionally been embraced by the umpiring department, but if you're going to do it, do it properly. Release a statement, MRP-style that includes every contentious decision/non-decision and whether it was warranted or not.

Making a statement about a single free kick, just because it occurred late in the game seems a bit like a coach hanging a player out to dry in the post-match press conference because he missed a set shot on the siren that could have won the game.

ManInWhite

Ex ManInWhite
Apr 6, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
The problem is that if Kennedy is asked point blank "was it a free", he either has to say "yes" and lose all cred because it was a rubbish free or say "no" like he did. Other option is to say "no comment" but that will only start conspiracy theories.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
The problem is that if Kennedy is asked point blank "was it a free", he either has to say "yes" and lose all cred because it was a rubbish free or say "no" like he did. Other option is to say "no comment" but that will only start conspiracy theories.

That's fine. But why not just release a statement, like the MRP does? If something is released every Monday, the media wouldn't bother asking the questions until then.

Jul 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
That's fine. But why not just release a statement, like the MRP does? If something is released every Monday, the media wouldn't bother asking the questions until then.
Friday night game and non-officiating umpire making a BS call forced his hand I reckon.

Agree that they could be be opening a Pandora's box, though.

When it's all said and done it changes SFA, so why say anything?

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
How come there was no public apology and 'we were wrong' for all the shockers we copped at the Adelaide oval this year?

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
agree, i don't see what these clarifications achieve (now or previously when it's happened in the past). coming out and saying 'we dun goofed' is a waste of time. work on improving the umpiring instead of having to come out and make these statements. we already know umpires make mistakes.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Friday night game and non-officiating umpire making a BS call forced his hand I reckon.

Agree that they could be be opening a Pandora's box, though.

When it's all said and done it changes SFA, so why say anything?

They said something very similar after the Cats vs Freo. From memory Freo should have got 4 more free kicks, and cats got one too many and you are right it changes SFA.

I would rather they admit they were wrong then put their head in the sand, at least this way they have a chance to improve.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
it is handy as a rebuttal to the 'silly people who say "nah, might have been soft, but was there, every day of the week"

Not if they only bother analysing one decision/non-decision out of about 70-odd. It's knee-jerk stuff.

The last time Geelong played Carlton and a few controversial umpire calls were made late, Sam Edmund (I think it was) got Wayne Campbell to give an assessment of:
  • A dodgy bounce in the second quarter that wasn't recalled, leading to a Geelong takeaway and a walked-in goal from Josh Walker
  • Nigel Lappin's close proximity to (and allegations of blocking) Mitch Robinson in the dying stages
  • An apparent high contact free that was not given to Troy Menzel
  • An umpire calling play on for Tom Hawkins taking more than his allotted 30 seconds to begin his approach to have a shot, when he was halfway through his approach.
Why couldn't Kennedy or Campbell do that for every game?

Back