Roast Kennedy keep getting Dropped or Sub?

Remove this Banner Ad

I get what your saying. But to be honest who cares you're not going to win the flag with players like Dwyer, Blair, Goldsack ($450k hahaha), Ball so if giving Kennedy, Gault, Kyle a chance to prove themselves and you get flogged but one or two of the guys mention look the part you would get more long term. Pies won't win flag this year, so play the damn kids that have been playing well in the VFL and the ones that have been performing all ALL year. Give Kennedy, Kyle whoever else a fair crack at it. Thomas selection this week was baffling I saw his performance 1st hand and I Buckley recons he doesn't gift games here is a perfect example of him contradicting himself. Read Rocca's review anyone who disputes this. BTW I like Thomas but he didn't deserve selection this week in front of Kennedy for starters.

How come also that when Thomas comes in he gets to play his preferred role in the midfield, but when Kennedy or Martin come in they have to play a forward role?

Some guys may also be getting games to boost their trade value btw.

If you are in a struggling team and getr dropped now it doesn't increase your value. Just a thought.
Fair point, but I think sides have probably seen way too much of some to now become disinterested in these so called tradeable players

I don't really understand it to be honest. The only conclusion I can come to is that one more AFL game might put him over the VFL finals limit. Otherwise it is very disappointing.

Given that Beams and Lumumba are out and Pendles carrying a knock I was looking forward to Kennedy in particular and also Martin if he was picked getting a good run at playing in their natural midfield spots. As it turns out Dwyer and Blair will probably take these roles which is entirely uninspiring given the obvious limitations of their abilities and JT gets a call up in spite of inferior VFL form to Kenno and Martin.

As I said at the time, having chatted to him at the sponsor's breakfast with scruffydog he's a great bloke and seems very committed to carving out a career at Collingwood so I'm not worried about him looking to go back to Adelaide but it must be frustrating for him that he is not getting a fair crack at the AFL side.

Above all else, he brings some speed and spark to things. The side picked for the weekend must be one of the slowest to ever line out, with only Sinclair, Marley and to a lesser extent Young and Broomhead bring any kind of genuine pace. A definite worry against the GWS kids.

I am disappointed, but Bucks did make the comment last week that Kennedy was meant to start sub and he played far more minutes than he was capable.

Remember he had off-season surgery and it was not a minor thing either.

Club is clearly just managing him. Obviously they know more than us about his fitness levels etc.

I'm disappointed because I really like him, and I reckon that he has been performing well.

However, VFL side will benefit from his presence, and maybe we are also looking at bolstering this team a bit.

FFS Buckley is doing exactly the same thing that Malthouse used to do with young players. They play, identify an area they need to work on, go back to VFL and work on it, and come back better players. You can bet there is a key deficiency that has been pointed out- perhaps his defensive running wasn't up to speed or he was simply running the wrong patterns. Collingwood has an excellent record in developing young players and our player retention is second to none!

If he does then explain that to us. Everybody would understand then. But to be omitted after that injury crisis is perplexing to say the least.

No offence but a senior coach announcing to the world that he is dropping players to qualify for reserve final is almost the last thing you want to hear at a club. Anyone thats played footy knows the stigma around trying to win reserve flags against playing your best senior line up.

Last edited:
Maybe they're managing his fitness/training load given he had an operation on his legs at the beginning of the year..... . . . ?

FFS Buckley is doing exactly the same thing that Malthouse used to do with young players. They play, identify an area they need to work on, go back to VFL and work on it, and come back better players. You can bet there is a key deficiency that has been pointed out- perhaps his defensive running wasn't up to speed or he was simply running the wrong patterns. Collingwood has an excellent record in developing young players and our player retention is second to none!
I don't think this is quite correct. Malthouse used to back the young guys in 100% - there's no way he would have messed a player like Kennedy around like this.

MM ditched Lockyer, Medhurst, O'Bree, Fraser and co in favour of the next gen and it won us a flag.

Going down the youth road we have now chosen we need to get 50-70 AFL games into the kids before we can contend again. Delaying this is just delaying our resurgence and wasting players like Pendles, Beams, Cloke and Sidebottom.

There must be some key non-negotiables (whether it be on-field of off-field) that BenKen has not adhered to.

Let the selection panel do their job - there is probably a lot of merit in this decision.

How come also that when Thomas comes in he gets to play his preferred role in the midfield, but when Kennedy or Martin come in they have to play a forward role?
Because Martin and Kennedy can play forward aswell, but Thomas can only play through the mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because Martin and Kennedy can play forward aswell, but Thomas can only play through the mids.

Well then they should be playing before him then. They are more flexible.

Maybe they're managing his fitness/training load given he had an operation on his legs at the beginning of the year..... . . . ?

Well IF that is right it be nice if they told us that

I came to the club forums to vent on this exact issue but now that I've thought about it a bit...
I think it's not about not rating Kennedy or the other kids. I think that the development process is just viewed a bit differently nowadays at the Pies in light of the experience of clubs such as Melbourne (and particularly their destroying of Jack Watts' abilities). I suspect Kennedy and Grundy among others are being protected from too much exposure at senior level, too early. The logic is that they need to work on their fundamentals and avoid burnout at such an early stage of their careers. Kennedy seemed very satisfied in the interview of him on the afl.com.au website a week or two ago and stated that there were still things he needed to work on.
I'd rather see Kennedy, Karnezis and Gault in the seniors this week against a weak opposition like GWS since it's not such a massive step up from VFL level but it's not something to make such a big deal out of if the selection committee feel differently.

I think we can see from the many delistings at end of last year that they're planning for the future not the current.

Perhaps you should have a little more faith in the people running the club instead of jumping to conclusions?

Dave, the club does not have to release player management details or strategy to the public.
This is an internal Football department process.
Why give our competition our play progress, fitness profiles, strengths & weaknesses etc.

Dave, the club does not have to release player management details or strategy to the public.
This is an internal Football department process.
Why give our competition our play progress, fitness profiles, strengths & weaknesses etc.

Perhaps the club could just send TD a personal message.

If I was a player I would not want the reasons for my demotion put out in the public domain. These things should be kept in-house. Yes supporters and the media crave this information, but I think it is the best interest of the player to stay largely silent on these matters.

Perhaps you should have a little more faith in the people running the club instead of jumping to conclusions?

Well the team has gone backwards so at the Moment it’s not very high

Well the team has gone backwards so at the Moment it’s not very high

All teams go backwards at times. It is how the system is designed. We are at the end of the longest run of finals appearances of any club. If we don't fall we have cheated the system. Nothing to lose faith over.

All teams go backwards at times. It is how the system is designed. We are at the end of the longest run of finals appearances of any club. If we don't fall we have cheated the system. Nothing to lose faith over.

Well then we can only guess then.

Everyone on here is guessing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back