Kevin Pietersen sacked by England

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...the-shortest-honeymoon-period-in-history.html

In particular

Obviously, no guarantees could be given about Pietersen’s future. No player, after all, has a divine right to a place in the side. Unless, of course, your name is Alastair Cook, who a beaming Strauss confirmed as captain for the Ashes series this summer.

And obviously the England team need “stability”, as Strauss put it shortly after removing Moores as coach, Ian Bell as Test vice-captain, Stuart Broad as Twenty20 captain and recommending a new selection system.

Obviously we want to “broaden the audience” of English cricket, Strauss said, whilst shutting the door on English cricket’s single most electrifying talent of our generation. And obviously we want cricketers “who can think for themselves”, Strauss enthused, whilst laying out the job specification for a new coach who will be told not to pick Pietersen.

The most alarming trait of today’s ECB is not the hypocrisy, but the doublethink. They really do seem to believe that you can have one rule for the captain and one rule for everyone else. That you can tell a player to go and score runs in county cricket and then turn him away when he does. And that there is nothing especially untoward in any of this, and anybody who says so is probably a splitter or a Piers Morgan fan or something.

I also reckon there are pretty major trust issues - why should KP trust the ECB?

He got told that he'd get considered in merit if he withdrew from his lucrative IPL runs and scored runs for Surrey. He has.

It's now obvious that the ECB never intended to act in good faith and were blatantly leading him on
That was one guy speaking when he's in a position where he shouldn't really be speaking about this sort of stuff, let alone when he hasn't actually started the job. This current mess is in large Graves' fault

KP is the gift that keeps on giving. He comes across as a spoilt brat with major entitlement issues (that Telegraph article he wrote is vomit-inducing) and an incredibly inflated sense of self-worth. He obviously played an incredible innings, but it was against a rubbish side and he has done little else in the county season to demand a place in the English side. Plus, as soon as he inked his book deal he should’ve known that he was going to struggle to get back into the team.

The only thing in this thread that makes me consider his position more is that Kumar Sangakarra is on his side and I have nothing but respect for that man.

Whatever happens, it’s somewhat comforting to return back to the shambles that I always remember English cricket being while I was growing up. It just feels right.

KP is the gift that keeps on giving. He comes across as a spoilt brat with major entitlement issues (that Telegraph article he wrote is vomit-inducing) and an incredibly inflated sense of self-worth. He obviously played an incredible innings, but it was against a rubbish side and he has done little else in the county season to demand a place in the English side. Plus, as soon as he inked his book deal he should’ve known that he was going to struggle to get back into the team.

The only thing in this thread that makes me consider his position more is that Kumar Sangakarra is on his side and I have nothing but respect for that man.

Whatever happens, it’s somewhat comforting to return back to the shambles that I always remember English cricket being while I was growing up. It just feels right.

Correct but he had personal assurances from Colin Graves that he would be considered if he scored runs at county level.

It's obvious that the new head of the ECB was blatantly lying.

I wonder if he has a case.

His first class batting average this season is 234 - almost as many thousand pounds as he has given up on false promises which the ECB obviously never intended to honour

just shows their poor judgement. Either they were just hoping KP would struggle at County level or they were just buying time for someone else to do the hatchet work.

just shows their poor judgement. Either they were just hoping KP would struggle at County level or they were just buying time for someone else to do the hatchet work.

Has to be the first.
They expect to struggle this year and wanted to end the calls for KP's comeback.

The second makes sense because he had already been sacked. There was no real need to call him to a meeting and sack him again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I know is that this shamozzle augers well for an Ashes win for us. I wouldn't trust KP either to be honest, although I have no great sympathy for the ECB. All good for a laugh though :D
Would you have trusted Shane Warne a great deal during his hey day?

Did he disclose information to the opposition?

Alleged to have happened in 2012.
They brought him back after that.

What has he done since then?

And in terms of 2015 he's completely in the right and it's the ECB who have acted poorly.

The ECB have gone through a lot of gymnastics to protect an incompetent and out of form Captain.

Hopefully Warner and co remind Cook of this

Alleged to have happened in 2012.
They brought him back after that.

What has he done since then?

And in terms of 2015 he's completely in the right and it's the ECB who have acted poorly.

The ECB have gone through a lot of gymnastics to protect an incompetent and out of form Captain.

Hopefully Warner and co remind Cook of this

He's got up the collective nose of the team and the ECB obviously. I find him an arrogant tosser and the ECB is a bunch of stuffed shirts so this does not surprise me. I don't really care too much, like I said, all this division in the ranks is good for us.

He's got up the collective nose of the team and the ECB obviously. I find him an arrogant tosser and the ECB is a bunch of stuffed shirts so this does not surprise me. I don't really care too much, like I said, all this division in the ranks is good for us.

Nah.
He was sacked as the high profile scapegoat and Graves and the ECB set him up to fail by leading him on under false pretenses that he could get his spot back.
Obviously they expected him to fail at county level.

He should seek compo for the 250,000 pounds he missed out on

I wouldn't trust KP either to be honest, although I have no great sympathy for the ECB. All good for a laugh though :D
What does that actually mean, though?

Trust him to do what?

Are they worried he's going to come into the dressing room and s**t in someone's shoe?

It's just code for 'we don't like him'.

He's got up the collective nose of the team and the ECB obviously.
Again, what does that actually mean?

There's a long list of former players who've actually endorsed KP.

The suggestion that he is unanimously hated is an oft-repeated but totally discredited ECB smear.

If the ECB could point to one thing he had actually done wrong to justify sacking him, they wouldn't be in this position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back