Kevin Sheedy's comments on Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Pasquali

Team Captain
Jul 21, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting interview with Kevin Sheedy this morning on WIN. It appears he is 100% behind Cousins return and a second chance. When asked if he would take him if he was coach he said "ÿes".

Will be interesting to see how much influence he has at the club and whether we will join in the hunt.

:)PERSONALLY, I think we'd be wrong not to explore the option of Cousins being a Tiger. The type of player who could easily lift us a cog or two. The more and more I think of it, the more and more I think the Tigers should attempt to snare him, should he decide to play.

I thought we'd gotten over the mentality of having to recruit ageing players, no matter who they are.

This is where Sheeds loses a lot of fans IMO. His propensity for ageing hacks is a worry. Lucky he's not coaching us.

I thought we'd gotten over the mentality of having to recruit ageing players, no matter who they are.

This is where Sheeds loses a lot of fans IMO. His propensity for ageing hacks is a worry. Lucky he's not coaching us.

"Aeging hacks" I can only think of his acqusition of Mal Michael.

A clean and Fully Fit Ben Cousins is far from a hack.

This could be the year of Triple C...

Cousins, Coughlan, Cotchin... That's a combo of skill, agression and youth. What else could you ask for.

Indeed Froars. His recent record speaks for itself in that regard, and this is perhaps one of the reasons why the club did not want him anywhere near the football department.

Interesting interview with Kevin Sheedy this morning on WIN. It appears he is 100% behind Cousins return and a second chance. When asked if he would take him if he was coach he said "ÿes".

Will be interesting to see how much influence he has at the club and whether we will join in the hunt.

Does not surprise me that Sheedy thinks Cussons should be given this chance.

He has always believed that he has a "horse whisperer" way of mentoring and turning around troubled souls...

I mean, look what he achieved with Ty Zantuck! :p

This is what i see with the Tigers. A team, a bee's d**k away from finals and huge success, this means we need instant success while most of our players are in form. Cousins would give us that extra run through the midfield, wing or maybe on one of the flanks. Would be a good idea to take a punt IMO.

"Aeging hacks" I can only think of his acqusition of Mal Michael.

A clean and Fully Fit Ben Cousins is far from a hack.

This could be the year of Triple C...

Cousins, Coughlan, Cotchin... That's a combo of skill, agression and youth. What else could you ask for.

We already have the triple C Collins , Connors and Cotchin.

get cousins
three years leads us to 2012 and this will be the heart of finals with
lids, foley and co 24/25
and the likes of cotchin rance connors etc 22-23
id take him anyday of th week and pluswe don't have any problems with history of drugs
except for justin charles but he is a different story

Cousins would be a top acquisition if all the appropiate boxes were ticked and assessments completed.

A great compliment to our strong team of midfield stars, but Ben needs to prove he's worthy of a Tigers guernsey.

Great to see Richmond assessing and fully investigating their options. Positions are so tough to get at Richmond now, Ben needs to understand that Richmond is about full accountability, regardless of your previous football achievements.
I'm sure he'd love to be in the yellow and black next season; he knows the Tigers are a chance at a flag within the next 3 years.

Well done to TW and his team for placing the Tigers on the cusp of long term success :thumbsu:

Cousins would be a top acquisition if all the appropiate boxes were ticked and assessments completed.

A great compliment to our strong team of midfield stars, but Ben needs to prove he's worthy of a Tigers guernsey.

Great to see Richmond assessing and fully investigating their options. Positions are so tough to get at Richmond now, Ben needs to understand that Richmond is about full accountability, regardless of your previous football achievements.
I'm sure he'd love to be in the yellow and black next season; he knows the Tigers are a chance at a flag within the next 3 years.

Well done to TW and his team for placing the Tigers on the cusp of long term success :thumbsu:

hey pete just out of interest why do u contiune to end your posts with this pucy crap thanking TW come on mate... other then that what u have to say is good stuff

hey pete just out of interest why do u contiune to end your posts with this pucy crap thanking TW come on mate... other then that what u have to say is good stuff

Tigers are now in the best shape they've been in for many years.

All thanks to the great 5 year plan instigated by Wallace when he became Richmond coach.
He and his assistants have brought the Tigers back from the destruction of the Frawley years, and now have them set for a lengyhy period in the upper parts of the ladder.

It deserves some credit.

Well done to TW and his team for restoring the entire Tiger football dept, making Richmond the team everyone will be emulating from 2009 onwards :thumbsu:

Sheeds sounds as if he would be a hangrenade around a team list these days.

He could potentially Frawleyise a list and leave the club with years to rectify itself.

Im not convinced about Sheeds these days despite his record. Id be nervous about his ego if I was Wallace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the?? :eek:

So you're against the re-signing of RICHO, Browny, Johnno, JB and Simmo because of their ages??? :confused::confused::confused:

Lucky youre not coaching us!

What the?? :eek:

So you're against the re-signing of RICHO, Browny, Johnno, JB and Simmo because of their ages??? :confused::confused::confused:

Lucky youre not coaching us!

Well probably you're right, I'd be really looking hard at signing half those at the end of this season.

What's your point, sunshine?

I'll tell you what mine is if you can't, I disagree with Sheeds. Don't know where you've been, but you haven't been around here for the last couple of years. You'd find it hard to find any takers for the Frawley topping up recipe for success, which if you remember failed miserably. That's what you're advocating are you? Hasn't proven to be a great way to build premiership eras in the past. I'd prefer the club stick to what it's doing now: young kids and looking at players who'll give more than a couple of year's service, are not drug addicted, won't get the shakes every five seconds because they haven't had a hit in a day, can't be trusted, will bring disrepute to the club if he ****s up and we recruited him. Should I go on?

Re-sign Johnston? LMAO!

We're still building our list. We're not a Doggies that is just a player like Cousins away. Remember, recruiting Akermanis hasn't brought them success yet. It's a huge gamble and as much as he's a great player, he is too much of a risk when we could go for someone who might be around for more than a season, half a season, depending on how Ben behaves, or whatever.

I must admit i am shocked at few responses bagging Sheedy's comments and his player attraction policy.

Sheedy is one of the most decorated coaches in AFL history. As a player he was one of the finest in his prime.

Maybe these people are the same people who bagged Richo saying he was too old and gone. Nevertheless, Richo eneded up 3 points off being a Brownlow winner and made All Australian.

Come on guys, AFL for Sheedy is his life and his job, for us its a sport we love to watch.

Look I know lots of people have been traumatised by Biddiscombe and Sziller and Neeld and all the rest, but surely we would be replacing the worst / most unlikely to succeed player on the list with Cousins?

It's not like we are giving up our first and second round picks.

Interesting that the RFC had no comment in the hun, as opposed to ruling ourselves out.

If we are good enough as a club to manage the situation (big if), I would pencil him in with our last pick / PSD.

Well probably you're right, I'd be really looking hard at signing half those at the end of this season.

What's your point, sunshine?

I'll tell you what mine is if you can't, I disagree with Sheeds. Don't know where you've been, but you haven't been around here for the last couple of years. You'd find it hard to find any takers for the Frawley topping up recipe for success, which if you remember failed miserably. That's what you're advocating are you? Hasn't proven to be a great way to build premiership eras in the past. I'd prefer the club stick to what it's doing now: young kids and looking at players who'll give more than a couple of year's service, are not drug addicted, won't get the shakes every five seconds because they haven't had a hit in a day, can't be trusted, will bring disrepute to the club if he ****s up and we recruited him. Should I go on?

Re-sign Johnston? LMAO!

We're still building our list. We're not a Doggies that is just a player like Cousins away. Remember, recruiting Akermanis hasn't brought them success yet. It's a huge gamble and as much as he's a great player, he is too much of a risk when we could go for someone who might be around for more than a season, half a season, depending on how Ben behaves, or whatever.

Oh, so know Cousins isnt an 'ageing hack' but a 'great player', changed your story quick smart! :)

I think everyone is clear on the real reason for your post, and that is you have an issue with Sheeds rather than talking sense. ;)

If you have something to say, why dont you just say it instead of beating around and sounding like a flog? :thumbsu:

Oh, so know Cousins isnt an 'ageing hack' but a 'great player', changed your story quick smart! :)

I think everyone is clear on the real reason for your post, and that is you have an issue with Sheeds rather than talking sense. ;)

If you have something to say, why dont you just say it instead of beating around and sounding like a flog? :thumbsu:

I don't think I did beat around the bush lol
He is a great player with one or two years left in him. He has a drug problem, which makes him high risk. In other words, we would be better off without him.
What's your problem?
Now that we're not beating around the bush, why don't you come out and say who you are.
Prid quo pro!

And of course I have an issue with Sheeds, it's not his head on the line if the Cousins thing goes balls up, now is it?
If you remember not that long ago, people wanted Brown because he would bring us a premiership. Didn't work either. Cruel that he was injured, but injuries happen. But basically, we weren't in a position to be aiming for a flag at that time and we took him. Glad we did because he's great to watch, but in the end it didn't help us win a flag did it?

So stop being personal and saying I have agendas when I think it's you who have the agenda logging on with a new nick, but you've been a round a while methinks ;)

Tigers are now in the best shape they've been in for many years.

All thanks to the great 5 year plan instigated by Wallace when he became Richmond coach.
He and his assistants have brought the Tigers back from the destruction of the Frawley years, and now have them set for a lengyhy period in the upper parts of the ladder.

It deserves some credit.

Well done to TW and his team for restoring the entire Tiger football dept, making Richmond the team everyone will be emulating from 2009 onwards :thumbsu:

Agree. Wallace has been endlessly critised since he took on the job, but he has had to turn around a club that has IMO been mismanaged for over 2 decades. Not an easy task. We now have a top 8 list (and getting better) that can go on and challenge for premierships over the next 5 years.

Go Tigers :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back