Politics Kim Jong Il has passed

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be waiting to see South Korea's or Japan's foreign miniters or PM's reaction first. Everyone would be saying similar things no doubt but I just feel we should of just released a statement at most at the current time.

Why? his statement seems pretty uncontroversial.

Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd said Mr Kim's death did not come as a surprise but it was important that all governments, including North Korea, exercise ''mamximum calm and restraint''.
''The political succession in North Korea is uncertain, although again it's been the subject of widespread reporting that Kim Jong-il's son, 28-year-old Kim Jong-un, has been groomed for the succession,'' he told a media briefing in Canberra.
''This time also presents an important opportunity for the new North Korea leadership to engage fully with the international community,'' Mr Rudd said.
''How to improve their economy in order to properly feed their people and, critically, how to deal with the outstanding problem of North Korea's nuclear weapons program.''

And despite our personal differences, I believe his heart was in the right place I believe he only wanted what was right for his people. He has changed North Korea for the better.

You can't be serious.

What would be best for the people of North Korea would be normal and peaceful relations with neighbouring countries. A bit of trade wouldn't hurt either, it could have prevented a few deaths by starvation. Isolation and militarism does them no good.

You can't be serious.

What would be best for the people of North Korea would be normal and peaceful relations with neighbouring countries. A bit of trade wouldn't hurt either, it could have prevented a few deaths by starvation. Isolation and militarism does them no good.

You missed his full quote, it was obviously a pisstake of how people's past get whitewashed when they die and people line up to say nice things about the departed while leaving out that they were a twat.

As I said I was watching bloomberg and they said speaking. My mistake but from what I heard it sounded like he spoke in front of a camera not just released a statement like other governments have.

Sounds like it was to the press in Canberra, of course the press would want a statement from the foreign minister in such a situation. What's the difference between a released statement and reading out a statement?

Just out of curiosity are you not a fan of Rudd and/or Labour in general? I don't have any particular warm feelings for the man but can't hate him for this.

The Kim is dead. Long live the Kim

Article by Hitchens just after Kim Il Sung died. Worth a read for the travel observations as much as the political commentary.

A local phrase book, entitled Speak in Korean, has the following handy expressions. In the section “On the Way to the Hotel”: “Let’s Mutilate US Imperialism!” In the section “Word Order”: “Yankees are wolves in human shape—Yankees / in human shape / wolves / are.” In the section “Farewell Talk”: “The US Imperialists are the sworn enemy of the Korean people.” Not that the book is all like this—the section “At the Hospital” has the term solsaga (“I have loose bowels”), and the section “Our Foreign Friends Say” contains the Korean for “President Kim Il Sung is the sun of mankind.”

One evening I gave in and tried a bowl of dog stew, which at least tasted hearty and spicy—they wouldn’t tell me the breed—but then found my appetite crucially diminished by the realization that I hadn’t seen a domestic animal, not even the merest cat, in the whole time I was there. (In a Pyongyang restaurant, don’t ever ask for a doggie bag.)

Sounds like it was to the press in Canberra, of course the press would want a statement from the foreign minister in such a situation. What's the difference between a released statement and reading out a statement?

Just out of curiosity are you not a fan of Rudd and/or Labour in general? I don't have any particular warm feelings for the man but can't hate him for this.

Australia'a foreign minister job isn't to jump infront of a camera and push our agenda. A statement is all what is needed at the current time. Lets wait and see what closer countries and more involed countrie such as South Korea, America, Japan and China say in there public breifings first.

Just on Al Jazeera they was saying the transfer of power to the son could be a long process even upto another 3 years before publicly coming out as leader.

Australia'a foreign minister job isn't to jump infront of a camera and push our agenda. A statement is all what is needed at the current time. Lets wait and see what closer countries and more involed countrie such as South Korea, America, Japan and China say in there public breifings first.

Just on Al Jazeera they was saying the transfer of power to the son could be a long process even upto another 3 years before publicly coming out as leader.

So you're not a KRudd fan. His statement was bland, urging caution etc., who cares if it was a written statement or on video? Is there anything specifically he said you have an issue with?

Hard to see them opening up much, it at all. They've shown no interest in modernising, well after their friends in China and Russia have done so.

So you're not a KRudd fan. His statement was bland, urging caution etc., who cares if it was a written statement or on video? Is there anything specifically he said you have an issue with?

I'm sure tazzietiger knows far more about international politics and the formalities of foreign relations than Kevin Rudd and his team.

"I felt a great disturbance in the 38th Parallel... as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened. You'd better get on with your exercises."

[YOUTUBE]7cGAC6D7eng[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]QXH1qhymxAw[/YOUTUBE]

oh yes how dare I question Rudd about rushing to make a public breifing while most other countries like South Korea China, Russia and USA are assesing the situation over the next few hours before making public briefing.
For the record all I suggested is we don't rush into saying anything before we know all the detail. I doubt anything will happen but lets not forget South Korea have put their military on high alert.

Anyways Im over dicussing this topic lets just hope the new leader brings more peace to the region and opens up the country more so the people can have a better standard of living.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Condolences to the family, thought and prayers are with them.

Kim Jong Il was a oppressive communist dictator where the people of North Korea have suffered. Hopefully in the future they can achieve democracy but that's not likely to happen anytime soon with probably his son taking over.

RIP Kim Jong Il.

I f***ing loved him in The Hangover

thehangover_kenjeong02.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back