Status
Not open for further replies.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
woke up this morning n first thought was how shattering it was to be so comprehensively beaten, could only imagine how the players would've felt.

that game was 3.5 quarters of torture

We never played that team all year personnel wise, Rioli after 3 months had a huge impact.

They were magnificent, are magnicient
No team is unbeatable

If hawthorn are unbeatable then we should be satisfied

We arent

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think we should get rid of Jetta, he provides us with great run and lets not forget his 2012 season. But he needs to harden the f*ck up, Get Pyke to smash him into the ground a couple of times. As for the reid problem he has done nothing all year, we have been patient with him lets be honest and we wanted him to come of age but clearly he bloody hasn't and I think it is just time for him to move on. Shaw has just had a terrible year lol, he's always so fumbly when he gets the ball and his kicks omg don't even get me started. As for the ruckman problem we have a big one, we need a better one than pyke he cannot hold down the fort even with Tippett backing him up. Its unfortunate that Alex Johnson will be out for a few years really missed his presence.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Will only get worst next year playing the same role.

For me I would send him to the 2's and make him command a spot with irresistible form. I still have faith that he could become a jet and giving him away now will be for potential unders.

I would take the risk and try to develop him further and hope he comes good. If not we cut our losses and move on.

Right now , no one will take his contract up and give us adequate compensation

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
For me I would send him to the 2's and make him command a spot with irresistible form. I still have faith that he could become a jet and giving him away now will be for potential unders.

I would take the risk and try to develop him further and hope he comes good. If not we cut our losses and move on.

Right now , no one will take his contract up and give us adequate compensation

But there is no point sending him to the 2s to play forward or whatever and then recall him to play the current role he is playing in the seniors.

Sam Reid does not have a role in the team we are trying to invent a position for him and i dont blame him as he has no idea what he is supposed to do.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
But there is no point sending him to the 2s to play forward or whatever and then recall him to play the current role he is playing in the seniors.

Sam Reid does not have a role in the team we are trying to invent a position for him and i dont blame him as he has no idea what he is supposed to do.

Play him in the 2's as a chb and give the kid some direction

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 11, 2009
MEL --> ADL
AFL Club
Sydney
I left the round 18 game satisfied that I witnessed a good game of footy. Yesterday, well insipid performance doesn't cut it. Where was the heart? Determination and endeavor was absent.

How do we redeem ourselves? Well we won't ever be seeing the hard work in 2014 paid with a flag.

We shall see how next year pans out, flag redemption in 2015 or failure to make a statement.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
You know what I hope Franklin fking hates the hawks now. Not because of their players or the club itself because some of the supporters for the hawks are appaling. I swear I hope we smash them by 100+ points next time we play! That'd be sweet, yes, sweet.

Not unless its in a Grand Final it won't be.

Jack2Jack

Club Legend
May 3, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think wholesale changes to the list are needed - We need to evolve our players and tactics in a few areas though.

-Went for that extra 1 too many 'quick/spread' player, and cost ourselves some needed Midfield grunt. Kennedy needs clearance help, lucky we all ready have that player on our list. (Hindsight is handy with this one though we couldn't have went in with a stronger side, I'm just hoping Horse took note of how dismal our clearances were and doesn't shrug it off as a one off.)

-Some positional changes might be needed to reinvent players. Reid needs to do as his brother did and move CHB/FB, Ted can't be playing on the no1 forwards from next year onwards - he becomes the 3rd tall and with Reid we might finally have a KD not undersized. He was originally recruited as a KD.

-Changes to the forward set-up and a decision on the tall forward line, does it work? I'm undecided, it can work brilliantly but if the foot-skills don't improve its being wasted. Maybe a more traditional set-up with Buddy, Tippett as keys with smaller forwards at their feet - maybe a 3rd tall ruck/forward (Nankervis?? or trade for someone who can genuinely play that role) who can allow Tippett to play KF permanently or have him play ruck and find another genuine key forward (maybe Reid if he stays there, would need a breakout season though).
Not sure, the 4 talls did look good at times - but there's no doubting a Ballantyne, Walters type might be needed to complete the forward line. Horse doesn't like player who can't run through the midfield though.

-Game plan needs to evolve, we have a strong midfield but there's something definitely off about our setup at times particularly around stoppages. For such a great pressure team there is no way we should be allowing free players out the back and walk-out centre breaks so often. Definitely a set-up issue and happened a lot last year - who's been our midfield coach lately, Dew? Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if he walked to the crows.:p

-KICK INS - wtf is going on here? Malceski can be a beautiful kick at times but god he can butcher some kick -ins. Can't believe we can't get this right, it's either short kick increasing the pressure on the next guy or long kick to an outnumbered situation along the boundary line. We can't get away with this s**t against the best teams, need to work out a system. If Mal leaves then we need to find an exceptional kicker (trade/draft), to place in defence who can take the kicks-ins - the set up will still need to be better if he's to be effective.

-Non preferred kicking - Kennedy, Goodes, McGlynn, Jetta, Mitchell and maybe Rampe - off the top of my head these are the only guys who go onto the opposite when the situation calls for it. There are others who will only go as a last resort - usually by then the situation has passed and they fluff it up, then there are others who refuse to use their wrong side at all which never works out well. A few training sessions where they're not allowed to use anything but the opposite foot please. AFL players need to be able to kick on both sides.

-May lose Goodes, Mal, Shaw - we gain Heeney, maybe Jones/Biggs fills one back spot. Lot of experience and depth lost though being replaced with youth, need to bring 1 or 2 proven players in.

Horse is the one who needs to make a lot of calls, needs a plan B, needs to make sure the players don't drop their heads. Our biggest issues next year will be tactical and mental. Good list but the 2015 result from the damage done yesterday could go either way,

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't want to give the captaincy to someone that young as Melbourne did that and it blew up in their faces. What about Nick Smith?
I don't think the club is going to get rid of the co-captaincy anytime soon, so kennedy and parker together?

I don't think wholesale changes to the list are needed - We need to evolve our players and tactics in a few areas though.

-Went for that extra 1 too many 'quick/spread' player, and cost ourselves some needed Midfield grunt. Kennedy needs clearance help, lucky we all ready have that player on our list. (Hindsight is handy with this one though we couldn't have went in with a stronger side, I'm just hoping Horse took note of how dismal our clearances were and doesn't shrug it off as a one off.)

-Some positional changes might be needed to reinvent players. Reid needs to do as his brother did and move CHB/FB, Ted can't be playing on the no1 forwards from next year onwards - he becomes the 3rd tall and with Reid we might finally have a KD not undersized. He was originally recruited as a KD.

-Changes to the forward set-up and a decision on the tall forward line, does it work? I'm undecided, it can work brilliantly but if the foot-skills don't improve its being wasted. Maybe a more traditional set-up with Buddy, Tippett as keys with smaller forwards at their feet - maybe a 3rd tall ruck/forward (Nankervis?? or trade for someone who can genuinely play that role) who can allow Tippett to play KF permanently or have him play ruck and find another genuine key forward (maybe Reid if he stays there, would need a breakout season though).
Not sure, the 4 talls did look good at times - but there's no doubting a Ballantyne, Walters type might be needed to complete the forward line. Horse doesn't like player who can't run through the midfield though.

-Game plan needs to evolve, we have a strong midfield but there's something definitely off about our setup at times particularly around stoppages. For such a great pressure team there is no way we should be allowing free players out the back and walk-out centre breaks so often. Definitely a set-up issue and happened a lot last year - who's been our midfield coach lately, Dew? Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if he walked to the crows.:p

-KICK INS - wtf is going on here? Malceski can be a beautiful kick at times but god he can butcher some kick -ins. Can't believe we can't get this right, it's either short kick increasing the pressure on the next guy or long kick to an outnumbered situation along the boundary line. We can't get away with this s**t against the best teams, need to work out a system. If Mal leaves then we need to find an exceptional kicker (trade/draft), to place in defence who can take the kicks-ins - the set up will still need to be better if he's to be effective.

-Non preferred kicking - Kennedy, Goodes, McGlynn, Jetta, Mitchell and maybe Rampe - off the top of my head these are the only guys who go onto the opposite when the situation calls for it. There are others who will only go as a last resort - usually by then the situation has passed and they fluff it up, then there are others who refuse to use their wrong side at all which never works out well. A few training sessions where they're not allowed to use anything but the opposite foot please. AFL players need to be able to kick on both sides.

-May lose Goodes, Mal, Shaw - we gain Heeney, maybe Jones/Biggs fills one back spot. Lot of experience and depth lost though being replaced with youth, need to bring 1 or 2 proven players in.

Horse is the one who needs to make a lot of calls, needs a plan B, needs to make sure the players don't drop their heads. Our biggest issues next year will be tactical and mental. Good list but the 2015 result from the damage done yesterday could go either way,

This isnt the rationale thought thread this is trade the whole useless list thread :p and sack horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back