Status
Not open for further replies.

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
For minidraft pick 1 it will take a top 4 draft pick.

For minidraft pick 2 it will likely take a top 7-8 selection or x2 1st round quality picks if not inside that range.

If the Cats want a piece of the action it would take a 1st round compo pick + 1st rounder and that would likely get the no.2 minidraft selection only.

Hogan and Byrnes have minimal value and are likely of no interest to GWS in a trade of this nature.

I don't think the 'giants' can dictate anywhere near as much in this years mini-draft compared to last years.The other seventeen clubs know they have the card of, there's no next year. GWS play to hard and they get nothing.
The other clubs get a draft with greater depth the following year.
That's how I see it.

Enforcer25

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2009
MELB
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think, in regards to picks, due to the strength of the draft, clubs can just say "fine, if you are gonna demand too much we'll just keep our pick in the draft"

Potentially the mini-draft picks will go for less.

manny100

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2012
Huntingdale
AFL Club
Melbourne
What are GWE U17 picks worth??? A long way to go yet. How does the 2012 draft up in relation to the 2013 draft? The 2012 draft stacked up well in relation to the 2011 draft (although time will tell!!) so GWE did well.
Jack Martin would have to be an asbsolute gun to get a top 4 or 5 pick in the 2012 draft given the hype that this draft is the 'daddy of all drafts' - and that a lot happens in relation to player development in the final2 months prior to drafting. Is he that good? Tell me if he is as i have not seen him play.
Having said all that Knightmare, i say well done for 'making a call'which generates discussion - i have enjoyed reading this thread - thanks.
Also as this year unfolds i understand that views may/will/probably etc change.

manny100

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2012
Huntingdale
AFL Club
Melbourne
If the DEES finished 2nd last and GWS nominated Viney and the best player was clearly better than Viney then the Dees would pay Viney's contract out and pick the best player. Its dog eat dog.
They also may want to trade the 2nd pick for Martin in the mini draft plus 'something else' from GWS - GWS would loooooove the first 2 picks inb this draft.

manny100

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2012
Huntingdale
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oh and of course if the Dees traded pick NO 2 to the GWS it would also be on the understanding that they would not nominate Viney - Dees would get Viney 2nd round. Plus in 2013 draft Dees would get a first rounder and Martin from the 2012 trade. W

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I don't think the 'giants' can dictate anywhere near as much in this years mini-draft compared to last years.The other seventeen clubs know they have the card of, there's no next year. GWS play to hard and they get nothing.
The other clubs get a draft with greater depth the following year.
That's how I see it.

It comes down to supply and demand. 17 other clubs are keen to get into the minidraft so best deal wins.

What are GWE U17 picks worth??? A long way to go yet. How does the 2012 draft up in relation to the 2013 draft? The 2012 draft stacked up well in relation to the 2011 draft (although time will tell!!) so GWE did well.
Jack Martin would have to be an asbsolute gun to get a top 4 or 5 pick in the 2012 draft given the hype that this draft is the 'daddy of all drafts' - and that a lot happens in relation to player development in the final2 months prior to drafting. Is he that good? Tell me if he is as i have not seen him play.
Having said all that Knightmare, i say well done for 'making a call'which generates discussion - i have enjoyed reading this thread - thanks.
Also as this year unfolds i understand that views may/will/probably etc change.

Thanks for the kind words.

2012 is stronger than 2013 will be. Should be the strongest since 2008.

Haven't seen as much of Martin as those from WA would have but he looks like he could be a real find. I'll judge him more on his development this year because he is still very skinny but looks like a very high end selection. (At this stage is considered a top 1-3 selection so top 4 (2012) selection at this stage is around the mark).

Any chance the Dees could get Viney as a 2nd rounder? Say they finish 2nd last would GWS bid for him?

Looks highly doubtful Melbourne can get Viney in the 2nd round. Even with a low ladder finish.
If Melbourne finish 2nd last I wouldn't be shocked to see GWS bid on Viney just to force Melbourne use that 1st rounder on Viney since Melbourne have already committed to him.
Viney looks like a very top talent in this years draft and I wouldn't be shocked to see him become the best of the lot.

Enforcer25

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2009
MELB
AFL Club
Melbourne
It comes down to supply and demand. 17 other clubs are keen to get into the minidraft so best deal wins.

But how keen are they when this draft is so strong?

Looks highly doubtful Melbourne can get Viney in the 2nd round. Even with a low ladder finish.
If Melbourne finish 2nd last I wouldn't be shocked to see GWS bid on Viney just to force Melbourne use that 1st rounder on Viney since Melbourne have already committed to him.
Viney looks like a very top talent in this years draft and I wouldn't be shocked to see him become the best of the lot.

I think there's the possibility of a typical Gubby Allan type deal, where if Melb finish 17th, they make a deal with GWS to not nominate Viney, in return for something of value, e.g. our 3rd round pick for their 4th, or Blease and our 3rd round pick for their 2nd, etc.
For GWS, it's really something for nothing.

Sep 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think there's the possibility of a typical Gubby Allan type deal, where if Melb finish 17th, they make a deal with GWS to not nominate Viney, in return for something of value, e.g. our 3rd round pick for their 4th, or Blease and our 3rd round pick for their 2nd, etc.

If the Dees rate Viney as the best player in the draft and will take him anyway, then the trade is clearly worthwhile I reckon as GWS have them by the short and curlies.

If the Dees rate Whitfield as best player in the draft though, then why not call GWS' bluff and then if they do nominate Viney you can just forego the F/S selection and take Whitfield. Plus you will get the second best player as well!!

But if GWS rate Whitfield higher, then I bet you they wouldn't nominate Viney just to make Melbourne choose him.

All smoke and mirrors this year :)

Number 10

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood

Is that even legal... a promise not to take him for higher draft picks?

That's like GC saying to GWS - don't take Patton and we will give you a 2nd round draft pick for nothing.

knobby

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Clubs would not hesitate to give their first round pick for Viney, not in the hope of getting him, but just enusring Melbourne have to use a first round pick.

After all they activates their Scully pick (??) so they would have 1st round pick (based on where they finish), mid 1st round and end of 1st round.

If clubs don't bid on Viney (or bid lower) it effectively gives Melbourne 4 first round picks. I don't know the rules and [perhaps more astute people on this forum do, but can Melbounre use the Compo picks to claim Viney ?

Enforcer25

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2009
MELB
AFL Club
Melbourne
No they can't use compo picks on Viney, and Melb doesn't have an "end of 1st round pick", it's an "after 1st round pick".

Meaning it's directly after their normal pick, i.e. if Melb have pick 3 due to where they finish on the ladder, they will also have pick 4.

knobby

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
No they can't use compo picks on Viney, and Melb doesn't have an "end of 1st round pick", it's an "after 1st round pick".

Meaning it's directly after their normal pick, i.e. if Melb have pick 3 due to where they finish on the ladder, they will also have pick 4.

Oh OK in that case even more reason the other clubs wont hesitate to use first round pick I suspect.

MightyTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey Knightmare love your work mate and appreciate the vast knowledge you have of all these kids.

One thing though is that I can't see the club using its first founder on a medium-forward although we desperately need one I'm almost certain the club will take 2 inside contested ball winning midfielders with its first 2 picks and a KPP with our compensation pick.

My question is, given Richmonds criteria for picking players which has a massive emphasis on good quality characters with good foot skills, who are a couple names to look out for.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hey Knightmare love your work mate and appreciate the vast knowledge you have of all these kids.

One thing though is that I can't see the club using its first founder on a medium-forward although we desperately need one I'm almost certain the club will take 2 inside contested ball winning midfielders with its first 2 picks and a KPP with our compensation pick.

My question is, given Richmonds criteria for picking players which has a massive emphasis on good quality characters with good foot skills, who are a couple names to look out for.

Nick Vlastuin (I have him high in my draft but some see him as a lower end 1st round prospect so there is the chance he could be available whenever Richmond enter the draft) is exactly what you are describing as that high character/leader with good footskills. Low risk talent who will bring with him big production for a long time and that extra leader through the midfield.

Josh Simpson while more outside ticks the skill + character boxes.

Jake Stringer, Troy Menzel and Rory Atkins are others I'd look at closely.

Toumpas I'd also add to that list but don't see him being available when Richmond's 1st pick comes up.

manny100

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2012
Huntingdale
AFL Club
Melbourne
Looking at the TAC thread Stringer kicked 9 goals 7 (against weak opposition) still not 100% over the broken leg and not yet at 100% fitness. Vines also starred. Given Whitfield and a couple of others if the Demons even finish 3rd last (pick 3 and 4 ) the teams above them may not risk nominating Viney. They will look after themelves first, second and third. If they nominate Viney it will not be to cause the Demons issues but because they genuinely believe he is No 1 or No 2.

Enforcer25

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2009
MELB
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure I agree with that.
There's no risk for GWS or GC, so they'll still make us use our 1st pick.

No matter what, we'll be selecting Viney.
We rate him that highly, and have made a commitment to him, and that's all that matters to us.

manny100

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2012
Huntingdale
AFL Club
Melbourne
It will be interesting to see how the Viney scenario pans out. He is playing only school footy (no TAC) and probably the Nationals this season. The Demons may chose to limit his exposure this year and let others catch up/pass him - but this may risk his development? Although everyone knows how good he is anyway.
Also no doubt the Demons will be playing bluff and let out rumors that they are willing to pay out his contract should materially better players be on offer.
Its much better for the Demons to sow the seeds of doubt in the minds of other clubs - let them know the risks are 'real'.
Anyway wait and see - should be interesting.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
what are your thoughts on Lachlan Hunter, Knightmare? has kicked 6 goals in his last 2 games for the western jets as a hard running midfielder, and another 6 in a school game for st kevins this weekend. thats 12 goals in 3 games! seems a good prospect, what pick are the dogs going to have to give up for him come years end if he keeps this type of form up?

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
what are your thoughts on Lachlan Hunter, Knightmare? has kicked 6 goals in his last 2 games for the western jets as a hard running midfielder, and another 6 in a school game for st kevins this weekend. thats 12 goals in 3 games! seems a good prospect, what pick are the dogs going to have to give up for him come years end if he keeps this type of form up?

Assuming a bottom 10 finish for the WBD Hunter should be available in the 2nd round with no issues.

Form is good and just needs to continue producing but looking like a worthy F/S selection if his start to the season is any indication.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
It will be interesting to see how the Viney scenario pans out. He is playing only school footy (no TAC) and probably the Nationals this season. The Demons may chose to limit his exposure this year and let others catch up/pass him - but this may risk his development? Although everyone knows how good he is anyway.
Also no doubt the Demons will be playing bluff and let out rumors that they are willing to pay out his contract should materially better players be on offer.
Its much better for the Demons to sow the seeds of doubt in the minds of other clubs - let them know the risks are 'real'.
Anyway wait and see - should be interesting.

I caught Viney playing for Carey v Scotch on Saturday so he is hardly hidden. There were cameras at the games so I'm sure even if clubs didn't have scouts at the game that they would still get footage.

The thing with the APS kids with their school committments is they don't have the option to play TAC footy instead because school sport comes first whether they like it or not.

There has been talk once the u18 champs and APS footy is finished that Jack will play some VFL footy. So 2-3 games or whatever TAC kids are allowed to play at VFL level towards the end of the season looks likely.

I caught Viney playing for Carey v Scotch on Saturday so he is hardly hidden. There were cameras at the games so I'm sure even if clubs didn't have scouts at the game that they would still get footage.

The thing with the APS kids with their school committments is they don't have the option to play TAC footy instead because school sport comes first whether they like it or not.

There has been talk once the u18 champs and APS footy is finished that Jack will play some VFL footy. So 2-3 games or whatever TAC kids are allowed to play at VFL level towards the end of the season looks likely.

And rightly so! The schools don't give them scholarships for nothing haha.

IRT those two players you asked me about, I couldn't find out sorry. They might be scholarship kids, because I even talked to a mate who knew a few of the younger guys who'd be bottom age this year.

manny100

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2012
Huntingdale
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi Knightmare, i saw an intrerview of O'Meara last night. GC are managing him very well. Doing a lot in the gym and expects to be around 83kgs by the start of season 2013. He is playing 1 out of 2 games.
Just out of interest how do you think Jack Martin rates in relation to O'Meara. Do they play similar style of game, position etc. Does Martins style have similarities to any topline AFL players? What are the risk factors with Martin? Listening to how GC is handling O'Meara he could well slot in and play good footy pretty quickly.
It will be interesting to see how the under 17 GWS deals pan out. As you have said previously it all depends on supply and demand.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Hi Knightmare, i saw an intrerview of O'Meara last night. GC are managing him very well. Doing a lot in the gym and expects to be around 83kgs by the start of season 2013. He is playing 1 out of 2 games.
Just out of interest how do you think Jack Martin rates in relation to O'Meara. Do they play similar style of game, position etc. Does Martins style have similarities to any topline AFL players? What are the risk factors with Martin? Listening to how GC is handling O'Meara he could well slot in and play good footy pretty quickly.
It will be interesting to see how the under 17 GWS deals pan out. As you have said previously it all depends on supply and demand.

From the footage i saw and remember reading he is rated close to or equal on talent but is a bit smaller yes? questions over how much he will grow, as may be an issue with drafting 17yo's on form from through there early teens

WestCoastWizkid

Debutant
Jan 4, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Power rankings:
------------------Potential A-Graders--------------------
1. Jake Stringer
2. Lachlan Whitfield
3. Jaeger O’Meara (GC – 17 Y/O)
4. Jack Viney (Melb – F/S)
5. Nick Vlastuin
6. Brad Crouch (Adel – 17 Y/O)
7. Brodie Grundy
8. Joe Daniher (Ess – F/S)
9. Jimmy Toumpas
10. Mason Shaw
------------------Potentially high level AFL players--------------------
11. Kristian Jaksch
12. James Stewart (Coll – F/S)
13. Craig Moller (Freo – NSW/ACT)
14. Josh Simpson
15. Liam Mcbean
16. Sam Mayes
17. Adam Carter
18. Jonothon O’Rourke
19. Rory Atkins
20. Oliver Wines
21. Corey Chalmers
22. Jason Pongracic
23. Tanner Smith
24. Aaron Luccon
25. Lachlan Plowman
26. Jed Anderson (GWS – likely NT Zone)
27. Troy Menzel
28. Ben Kennedy
29. Laine Wilkins
30. Anthony Bonaddio
31. Emmanuel Irra
32. Nathan Wright
33. Nic Amato
34. Dayle Garlett
35. Matthew Haynes
----------------Potential AFL Quality-----------------
36. Christopher Yarran
37. Shannon Taylor
38. Matthew McDonough
39. Tim Membrey
40. Lachie Hunter (WBD – F/S)

Hey Knightmare, noticed some players listed below are not in your top 40? They are VIC players only as I am not overly familiar with the other states. Your thoughts please................

• Cameron Banfield - Sandy Dragons/VIC METRO
  • Tom Temay - Sandy Dragons/VIC METRO
  • Darcy Bailey - Cannons / VIC METRO
  • Brandon Wood - Rangers / VIC METRO
  • Aidan Corr - Knights / VIC METRO / AIS
  • Jacob Ballard - Knights / VIC METRO
  • Nathan Hrovat - Knights / VIC METRO
  • Nicholas Tuddenham - Stingrays / VIC COUNTRY
  • Billy Rolfe - Stingrays / VIC COUNTRY
  • Sam Heavyside - Pioneers / VIC COUNTRY

Status
Not open for further replies.