Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knightmare, what is your opinion on Cameron Conlon? Watching his highlights would make you giddy if your club picked him up. Do you see him as a superior talent to McCarthy?

Highlights from 18 months ago.
Here was KM's response a couple of pages ago:

He's a chance to get drafted. No question.

I have him as more of a late/rookie selection having not played in 18 months and with his sample size of brilliance limited with only those first two games particularly interesting.

I'm not so concerned in his body as much as I am his talent and dominance being overstated. He's never had more than five marks in a game or more than three after those first two games. Other than those first two games he never had more than two goals in a TAC Cup game. He managed 10+ hitouts in less than half of his games.
It's just not enough to sell me personally on him as a prospect with an over-reliance on potential and hoping he makes it rather than knowing he's AFL standard or somewhere pretty close to.

But in saying that a club in this poor draft for talls may very well select him despite this as someone who at his height and with his talent will intrigue.

I mentioned this on the pies board. What is being committed to someone? Last year we would of been committed to someone at 18/19/20 who we didn't pick up cause Grundy slided. Things change. You put your club first before your verbal commitment with a 18 year old kid. And were talking top 10 picks, they are gonna get picked up elsewhere.

To me, Aish looks the better player than Billings anyway. But thats just personal opinion of course.

I doubt teams as far down as the Pies pick are telling kids they will definitely take them. The kid may read a phantom draft or an article saying they'll take him but doubtful the club has promised anything.

Wow, Nicholas Bourke from 32 to 64 in your recent update. I was content with him at 32...

Cheers for update KM. You've passed on players I'd definately take at our picks, you have much greater knowledge but I hope you're wrong

KM - Freeman, Kolodjasnij, Byrne-Jones, Cameron, Lemmens
nottenthagain preference - Acres, Lang, Battersby (meaning I pass on Robertson who I highly rate), Giles and any one of Marsh, Reynolds or Bourke

Going to be some quality rookie picks getting through by the looks of it.

Love this outcome as a Hawks supporter (even though we will only use our first three picks), Merrett, Battersby and Garlett really address needs (albeit not pressing needs) and give us some midfield types to develop in the coming years who can start off a half forward or half back flank.

Highlights from 18 months ago.
Here was KM's response a couple of pages ago:

Cheers. My concern wouldn't be so much in terms of his talent (clearly can take a grab) or his injuries, but in his development. Gumby was the ''best mark I've seen at junior level'', according to Shifter, but years of injuries destroyed his potential. Still, seems worth the relatively small risk.

what makes you think Hartung will slip to 30 mate? would love to have him at North

Well done Knightmare on your draft for this year. I can't wait to see your 2014 version when it comes out. How do you think the Hawks done I would rate them an A+. They drafted speed and skill for the midfield after all We do have an ageing midfield. And I really think we can get Garlett sorted out with the culture that we have down at the club. Thanks again Knightmare and I can't wait to see next year's phantom draft.

Because that's the most valid measure of kicking ability :rolleyes:

You're struggling now. Further up the page I said that draft combines can make a difference in where players end up getting recruited, not that combine tests such as the kicking test make for a valid measure of actual kicking ability. Not in the same way a 3km time trial, a leap test, or a beep test make reliable measures of what they are testing for.

Eli's field kicking is excellent. Not sure what you are watching. He has a very good ability to spot up targets. If you want data, compare his DE to KK's during the champs. Slightly higher, despite having a slightly higher CP to UP ratio, and would workout about even if you take into account his slightly higher handball to kick ratio. If you then factor in that Kade is a little more prone to switch for a safer sideways kick than Eli, who advances the ball a little more frequently - and usually under a bit more pressure than Kade - I think it is fairly safe to say Eli finds targets by foot more often than Kade. (Although to be fair, probably does kick long to a contest a bit more often than Kade).

Moreover, his passes, particularly when hitting up a lead, seem to have a better trajectory than Kade's and most other people's. He has got a good flat pass on him when kicking under 40 metres or so. Kade is by no means a world beating kick, but he is reliable. Eli is better. To say that he isn't an excellent kick is ridiculous, and you are the only person who has that opinion. All you have to back it up is a silly field kick test, which according to it, Brady Grey is a better kick than Templeton :rolleyes:

Which part is wrong? I have seen four of Eli's TSL matches, plus champs. Sorry if I am unwilling to travel to Burnie and Hobart every week to watch TSL games :rolleyes: I never claimed to watch every game, but I have seen enough to make a valid opinion of his kicking ability, particularly considering when I am there, I don't really care about the game, just keeping an eye on the draft agers. Not sure why you are so sore. Eli's an excellent kick. Get over it :D

Unlike KM, for players I have seen very little of, ie Pearce, I don't even bother trying to give a detailed opinion of where they should go or how good they might be. But I have seen enough of Eli to be confident of what I have seen. I know he is a good kick, doesn't struggle against the big bodies, and has an impressive work rate (apart from in the last two games of the finals series where he was most likely injured and hardly even looked interested in shrugging his tag for the most part).
I feel pretty silly right now. He got 20/30 on the kicking test with a dodgy left shoulder so all my arguments are invalid. KM has also been made to looks silly too: "Templeton is a very clean user of the footy and uses it well by hand and foot". No he isn't, KM, because he got 20/30 on the kicking test and Sin City says he is an ordinary kick so that must be the case because he has probably seen two more TSL games than me all season. :thumbsu::rainbow:
Me struggling? No.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I assume most will say that. Jansen didn't even make KM draft list and we took him at 36. The Cats certainly are independent in their selections. I wonder if Lang would of been there at 36?

Yes I see that. Wondering what he thinks of him going at 16 in that case I guess?

Obviously a surprise but proof of pudding is in the tasting (and that may take several years)

Lang whilst 49 in his power rankings was listed as 25 to rookie in his phantom
Jansen wasn't in PR but was listed as 35 to undrafted so two interesting selections but Cats could probably develop rubbish into role players so I'm sure will get some decent footy from each.

Great work Knightmare and what a different draft it was.

Now for the Rookie Draft where can we see a list of clubs allocated picks anyone.

Yeah I assume most will say that. Jansen didn't even make KM draft list and we took him at 36. The Cats certainly are independent in their selections. I wonder if Lang would of been there at 36?

If Twomey is to be believed (and his Essendon mail is usually pretty spot on) we were keen with 26.

Reckon he's a handy prospect, would have had a lot more talk about him if he didn't stuff his leg early on in the year (or maybe it was late last year).

If Twomey is to be believed (and his Essendon mail is usually pretty spot on) we were keen with 26.

Reckon he's a handy prospect, would have had a lot more talk about him if he didn't stuff his leg early on in the year (or maybe it was late last year).

Reckon Hawks were keen too. Hodgey tweeted disappointing he couldn't slip to 24. So I think Geelong were on the money selecting him with pick 16. Must be a good 'un.

Reckon Hawks were keen too. Hodgey tweeted disappointing he couldn't slip to 24. So I think Geelong were on the money selecting him with pick 16. Must be a good 'un.

Both are Colac boys which probably had something to do with it. Though someone on the Hawks board reckons we were going to take him at 24 if available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back