Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI KM,

Do you think Cockatoo wil slip to Collingwood's 2nd round pick & if so should we take him?

Also, do you think we should draft Tom Langdon's brother?

The recent media hype if it can be believed is that Cockatoo probably goes somewhere inside the first round. Geelong and North Melbourne are two clubs believed to be interested. Essendon late first round also have been linked to him.

If available at Collingwood's second round selection I'd have Cockatoo as a consideration but I'd be taking whoever would be highest on our draft board (and there are a few others I favour - Peter Bampton or Connor Blakely as midfielders may be available around that point and are two examples of players I prefer to Cockatoo). Given he has some genuine pace and is a nice height, high character guy and really dominated pre-grand final I imagine Collingwood like a number of other teams would be red hot on him if available in the second round as someone who ticks the boxes for what I imagine Collingwood would be looking at and with his linebreaking ability and ability to take on the game he is definitely a list fit. So I wouldn't discount the possibility completely if available.

Ed Langdon is an interesting talent and has not played much TAC Cup. He is quick small forward, uses his pace in game, has some class and has some tricks. Not nearly as prolific a ball winning as his brother and obviously much smaller as a completely different type of player but I'm sure Collingwood are very aware and informed about him given he is the younger brother of Tom. If picked he is a late/rookie selection given his relatively limited exposure. Again there are others I would probably take instead/ahead of him but if the club look to get a small forward he could be among the shortlist as a needs filler who has the scope to play a role with further improvement.

I reckon on every page of this thread since the Grand Final curtain raiser there has been someone asking KM whether he thinks Cockatoo will fall to their club and whether he thinks he will be a good pickup.

It's the big game effect. Lots of people noticing. It's a real value enhancer and particularly with a small sample size like we saw with Cockatoo that can happen.

The recent media hype if it can be believed is that Cockatoo probably goes somewhere inside the first round. Geelong and North Melbourne are two clubs believed to be interested. Essendon late first round also have been linked to him.

Thanks for the reply KM.

If available at Collingwood's second round selection I'd have Cockatoo as a consideration but I'd be taking whoever would be highest on our draft board (and there are a few others I favour - Peter Bampton or Connor Blakely as midfielders may be available around that point and are two examples of players I prefer to Cockatoo). Given he has some genuine pace and is a nice height, high character guy and really dominated pre-grand final I imagine Collingwood like a number of other teams would be red hot on him if available in the second round as someone who ticks the boxes for what I imagine Collingwood would be looking at and with his linebreaking ability and ability to take on the game he is definitely a list fit. So I wouldn't discount the possibility completely if available.

Ed Langdon is an interesting talent and has not played much TAC Cup. He is quick small forward, uses his pace in game, has some class and has some tricks. Not nearly as prolific a ball winning as his brother and obviously much smaller as a completely different type of player but I'm sure Collingwood are very aware and informed about him given he is the younger brother of Tom. If picked he is a late/rookie selection given his relatively limited exposure. Again there are others I would probably take instead/ahead of him but if the club look to get a small forward he could be among the shortlist as a needs filler who has the scope to play a role with further improvement.

It's the big game effect. Lots of people noticing. It's a real value enhancer and particularly with a small sample size like we saw with Cockatoo that can happen.

I'm hoping the same happens with Nick Jackson who also had a ripper of a game on that day. No doubt Cockatoo is an excellent talent. He might not have runs on the board at junior level that other touted first rounders do, but he'd be worth a shot early on for a club with a solid list looking for some speed and x factor.

Hey KM, thoughts on port picking up aidan Anderson with our third round? We need depth in that small forward area; our top guys wingard monfries etc gives off the illusion that we wouldn't need to pick up a player in that position but after looking through our list and from the injuries that occurred this year I noticed our only depth is sam gray which is a bit concerning.

Hey KM, thoughts on port picking up aidan Anderson with our third round? We need depth in that small forward area; our top guys wingard monfries etc gives off the illusion that we wouldn't need to pick up a player in that position but after looking through our list and from the injuries that occurred this year I noticed our only depth is sam gray which is a bit concerning.
You have Wingard, Monfries, Gray, Neade, Newton who can play as a small forward. I very much doubt you'd need another.

You have Wingard, Monfries, Gray, Neade, Newton who can play as a small forward. I very much doubt you'd need another.

This is what I mean. I would consider gray (75-25 time in midfield forward) and newton more as mids but never the less Wingard, Monfries, and neade are all starting 18 and once one of them get injured we've only got sam gray. When we needed depth this year when one or two of them were injured we went to sam gray who had no real competition for position as Hitchcock was always injured (now delisted)

This is what I mean. I would consider gray (75-25 time in midfield forward) and newton more as mids but never the less Wingard, Monfries, and neade are all starting 18 and once one of them get injured we've only got sam gray. When we needed depth this year when one or two of them were injured we went to sam gray who had no real competition for position as Hitchcock was always injured (now delisted)
I think you're fine in that department, though.

Hey KM what are the chances of Jesse Watchman getting picked up - I dont know much about the interstate kids. What sort of player is he?

Watchman is in the mix for selection. Just being such a deep year of good talls there is no guarantee he gets selected.

Anderson can play and I was initially high on him but I have others I have over the season come to prefer. Anderson might be available even as a rookie. As a rookie he'd be a good selection and good front half depth if that's what Port Adelaide are looking for.

Hey KM do you reckon that if we take Hugh Goddard we could turn him into a swingman, like a less dominent Jake Carlisle

Worth 14? I suppose if you draft on upside ...would he be considered an iron clad lock it 200 gamer? Be a different way for Well to go , from what Ive read Langdon sort scratches his usual itch... but maybe we need "bang". Those bursts from the centre reminded me of Judd. If GC or GWS were drafting this year he would be in their bunch of picks no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey KM do you reckon that if we take Hugh Goddard we could turn him into a swingman, like a less dominent Jake Carlisle

Goddard can play forward fine, it's just not where I'd play him long term. He's a much better key defender and doesn't ever in the front half give the impression that he will dominate.

Worth 14? I suppose if you draft on upside ...would he be considered an iron clad lock it 200 gamer? Be a different way for Well to go , from what Ive read Langdon sort scratches his usual itch... but maybe we need "bang". Those bursts from the centre reminded me of Judd. If GC or GWS were drafting this year he would be in their bunch of picks no doubt.

I don't see Cockatoo as sure 200 gamer and I'd say it's well against the odds, without being outside his capabilities. A few clubs will be hoping he becomes a gamechanger which would be the hope. I just tend to see him more as a component to a team and is more someone I'd personally only use a second round selection on.

He'd be a logical replacement for Varcoe would be my guess for Geelong where he would fit if that was to happen.

I don't see Cockatoo as sure 200 gamer and I'd say it's well against the odds, without being outside his capabilities. A few clubs will be hoping he becomes a gamechanger which would be the hope. I just tend to see him more as a component to a team and is more someone I'd personally only use a second round selection on.

He'd be a logical replacement for Varcoe would be my guess for Geelong where he would fit if that was to happen.

I know what you mean , not the foundation that can be built on etc. Sort of describes Varcoe actually. Icing not the cake

Hey KM, What is your impression on Jett Guerin from the Oakleigh Charger as a 2015 prospect p.s. I'm friends with his brother Jaxon Guerin (also plays oakleigh) who goes to the same school as me

Hey KM, What is your impression on Jett Guerin from the Oakleigh Charger as a 2015 prospect p.s. I'm friends with his brother Jaxon Guerin (also plays oakleigh) who goes to the same school as me

Played the five games this year in the TAC Cup but not overly aware of his game (though I'll say the same of most of the underagers unless they're projected first/second round picks next year) and don't recall noting him for any particular play in any of the games he has played that I've seen.

Next year if he plays more regularly and puts forward some strong performances I'll be able to tell you more.

Played the five games this year in the TAC Cup but not overly aware of his game (though I'll say the same of most of the underagers unless they're projected first/second round picks next year) and don't recall noting him for any particular play in any of the games he has played that I've seen.

Next year if he plays more regularly and puts forward some strong performances I'll be able to tell you more.

He's an athletic small mid/fwd who goes to Box Hill Secondary, Plays like Jack viney.
There is also James corboy from oakleigh ( I played 17's with him as a 14 yo) he plays like Jaeger O'Meara

G'day KM, I strongly believe we Are hoping for one of the three tall defenders in Lever, Durdin or Goddard to make it through to our pick 13. Can you please explain the strengths and weaknesses of them and what sets them apart from one another.? Also if you think there is a genuine chance one will make it that far?

G'day KM, I strongly believe we Are hoping for one of the three tall defenders in Lever, Durdin or Goddard to make it through to our pick 13. Can you please explain the strengths and weaknesses of them and what sets them apart from one another.? Also if you think there is a genuine chance one will make it that far?

Of those Goddard is the best chance to make it through to pick 13.

They all have similar enough games with all three capable stoppers and rebounders just with their slight nuances.

Lever finds the most of the ball of the lot and is the highest level leader of the three given he captained Vic Metro as an underager.

Durdin is the tallest, most versatile and has the longest wingspan of the group.

Goddard is the best athlete of the group, strongest build and the better stopper of the group.

I tend to rate them: Lever, Durdin and Goddard. But not a whole lot in it. I'd happily take any of the three with the intent to develop them into long term key defenders to build around.

For greater depth of detail visit page one where I've got detailed profiles for all three.

How much of a chance is hugh beasely of getting drafted this year? Suggestions that he did not rebound or intercept aswell as some injury issues explains why he didn't getpicked up last year, how much has he improved and possible strengths and weaknesses?

Knightmare - what is your view on this years draft crop from a depth perspective?

With the dogs looking like they may have 2 picks inside the top 10 and 2-3 picks inside the 20's - how much quality can they expect to get with those later picks?

should they be trying to package say 26+27 for pick 20 or something of the like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back