Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much of a chance is hugh beasely of getting drafted this year? Suggestions that he did not rebound or intercept aswell as some injury issues explains why he didn't getpicked up last year, how much has he improved and possible strengths and weaknesses?

Beasley is a late/rookie chance but probably against the odds.

He's been one of and arguably the best key defender in the TAC Cup. He plays a terrific two way game. Beats his opponent almost every week but balances that well with an offensive game as a capable rebounder.

The issue is just more that he is only 190cm, which most will look at and dismiss immediately given he is a true key defender.

De Goey or Duggan for the Tigers? Both would suit us very well.

It will be an interesting one. I'm a De Goey man as he can win it inside but also go forward and take a mark. Duggan is probably the slightly more highly rated as one of the most highly regarded people in this draft and I expect he might be slightly favoured over De Goey as the more productive player.

Hi KM, what do you know about Duom Dawam?

Do you think hes any chance at getting drafted? Or is the rookie list his best chance?

Duom Dawan is a super athletic ruckman but very light bodied at 75kg. He's very raw but he's someone I want to see come back to the TAC Cup next year and see if he can improve. In the ruck contest he jumps and guys jump into him and he just recoils backward - as he doesn't have adequate strength at this stage. Similarly around the ground he doesn't find it. So at this stage I'd class it as highly unlikely that Dawam is drafted this year as an outside rookie chance at best.

Knightmare - what is your view on this years draft crop from a depth perspective?

With the dogs looking like they may have 2 picks inside the top 10 and 2-3 picks inside the 20's - how much quality can they expect to get with those later picks?

should they be trying to package say 26+27 for pick 20 or something of the like?

Picks 26 and 27 are good picks. The top 30, maybe top 40 with correct talent identification are pretty good and pretty even. I wouldn't bother moving up. There will be some good value guys available in the mid-late 20s.

Knighta - with Stanley going to Geelong, this surely signals the Saints will look at McCartin as a tall? Or perhaps Wright?

Until St Kilda trade pick 1 down to pick 3 or 4 and something else, it's hard to see them passing on Petracca/Brayshaw who would go top 2 if GWS/Melbourne had those picks.

Knowing that the Pies have the 5th pick who do you think they will grab? Would they go for the best talent or the best defender (a need)?

Eastern Rangers, you seem to have it in for Lim? cant give him any credit?

Isn't he doing the opposite?

If he can basically set an agility record on an 'exceptionally slow track' then he's got to be a pretty exceptional athlete. Unfortunately I don't think that's his issue

Knowing that the Pies have the 5th pick who do you think they will grab? Would they go for the best talent or the best defender (a need)?

Your guess is as good as mine. Very up in the air with no clear selection.

One of Wright or Lever would be available and are the two best availables on my draft board. Durdin/Laverde/Weller/Pickett/Ahern/Duggan/Langford will all be considered.

In any case it should given how high the draft selection is be the best available on Collingwood's draft board.

Isn't he doing the opposite?

If he can basically set an agility record on an 'exceptionally slow track' then he's got to be a pretty exceptional athlete. Unfortunately I don't think that's his issue
I read it the other way that he was referring to the national combine agility being being an exceptionally slow track

Knightmare, I think there was an article on afl.com.au on Wright last week. Wright mentioned that he felt the pressure of being the number 1 pick and believed that affected his game towards the end of the year. I know you had big wraps for him early in the year and had him at number 1 but you now have concerns over him? Would you be comfortable if pies took him at 5 and he could meet expectations or do you have question marks over him?

What Do you see us doing with pick 67 do you see Brisbane elevating Bourke and using our last two picks in the pre season Draft

You can never quite know until it happens. But I imagine Brisbane look to use the selection given how many guys Brisbane have already committed to, there may be someone Brisbane see value in.

Knightmare, I think there was an article on afl.com.au on Wright last week. Wright mentioned that he felt the pressure of being the number 1 pick and believed that affected his game towards the end of the year. I know you had big wraps for him early in the year and had him at number 1 but you now have concerns over him? Would you be comfortable if pies took him at 5 and he could meet expectations or do you have question marks over him?

Wright is better than the other options at 5 so he is my preference at that selection if available with Petracca, Brayshaw and McCartin all to be taken by that selection. I see him as a strong fit at Collingwood as a clean mark who off Cloke can learn to become a dominant mark who with contact at Collingwood more so than another club has the ability to learn to clunk those marks.

Whether Collingwood share my view on Wright as the best of the rest after that top three we'll have to wait and see, but I tend to think they do not as someone who gets used a lot in the front half and gets beaten too often and with his marks too often drops it when he has a body on him.

Knightmare do you really see Ahern slipping to 19? Jesus that would be a dream scenario for Carlton if we could pick him up with that pick.

Ahern may but probably doesn't slide as far as 19. He still is a genuine top 10 chance but due to the nature of the picks with clubs like Adelaide, Geelong and Fremantle in that 10-15 range likely looking tall someone will slide through to 19.

Hey KM
This may seem left field, but how does J Rose (SA) stack up against J DeGoey (Vic Metro) as a project utility prospect (the former has less hype and may not even get drafted, could be a rookie prospect)?
Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey KM
This may seem left field, but how does J Rose (SA) stack up against J DeGoey (Vic Metro) as a project utility prospect (the former has less hype and may not even get drafted, could be a rookie prospect)?
Cheers

Rose has a shot to go national draft and is in the mix to get drafted.

It's an interesting comparison between De Goey and Rose. Rose is the SA equivalent if you like but a less dominant version. De Goey is stronger again overhead and much better through the midfield.

whats your thoughts on tom boyd vs maccArtin ?

Boyd is better. Taller, bigger, stronger, doesn't have the set shot goalkicking issues and will be the more dominant pro.

Basically Boyd projects if he has a healthy career to be a near best in the game key forward and I see him once established as a top 3 key forward in the game when he hits his prime (after Cameron and about even with Patton). McCartin on the other hand I see as a possible number one option in a front half but in my mind he projects to be something more like a top 10 in the game key forward, so not quite in the same discussion as a shorter key forward with some health questionmarks he'll have to manage.

Rose has a shot to go national draft and is in the mix to get drafted.

It's an interesting comparison between De Goey and Rose. Rose is the SA equivalent if you like but a less dominant version. De Goey is stronger again overhead and much better through the midfield.

Boyd is better. Taller, bigger, stronger, doesn't have the set shot goalkicking issues and will be the more dominant pro.

Basically Boyd projects if he has a healthy career to be a near best in the game key forward and I see him once established as a top 3 key forward in the game when he hits his prime (after Cameron and about even with Patton). McCartin on the other hand I see as a possible number one option in a front half but in my mind he projects to be something more like a top 10 in the game key forward, so not quite in the same discussion as a shorter key forward with some health questionmarks he'll have to manage.

Further to Tom Boyd, will he be the Doggies' No. 1 forward next year or will that be Crameri or Stringer?

2 more questions.

1: Who, from last year's draft, will have a better 2nd season do you reckon?

2: From the 2010 AFL Draft, who would need a big year to avoid being delisted?

Further to Tom Boyd, will he be the Doggies' No. 1 forward next year or will that be Crameri or Stringer?

2 more questions.

1: Who, from last year's draft, will have a better 2nd season do you reckon?

2: From the 2010 AFL Draft, who would need a big year to avoid being delisted?

Boyd certainly if I was coaching that team would be the full forward and the deep go to option. Not that he would dominate right away, but that's who he's going to have to be and he as the other great key forwards have will benefit from the early exposure at AFL level.

Crameri and Stringer presumably play higher up the ground. Crameri I'd like to see from their perspective on a forward flank and Stringer as a midfielder rather than a key forward.

1. Nathan Freeman should be healthy for next season and will get senior opportunities and has the chance with a strong preseason to play most weeks. Blake Acres with greater opportunity next season I expect to breakout and be the big improve next year and perhaps down the road even become one of the better players to come out of last years draft. James Sicily may push for games for Hawthorn. Geelong probably want to get some more games into Darcy Lang. Bontempelli can take another step again given his rate of improvement. Nankervis at Sydney should be a chance to get some games.

2. Sebastian Tape should be under the pump to perform, Billie Smedts same, Matthew Watson same, Kieran Harper same.

Knightmare, would you swap 1 for 4 and 7 if you were the Saints?

Only if the Saints rate Wright or Lever depending on their preference as the best talent in the draft should they do that deal. Say as an example if they rate Wright as the best talent then great deal, they can get their guy and take say Weller as an example as a bonus midfielder who can help them and add to their best team.

If the Saints like McCartin and see him as the best in the draft or the player they want they could probably move down to 3 and ask for pick 23 or perhaps a Watts or Trengove as sweetners.

Personally would I do pick 1 for picks 4 and 7? Tempting but I'd pass. I see it more as Petracca, Brayshaw, Heeney, Moore and McCartin with everyone else (which would be pick 4 onward) as being that next group down. Given St Kilda get the opportunity to get the superiority of talent I'd go in that direction.

Only if the Saints rate Wright or Lever depending on their preference as the best talent in the draft should they do that deal. Say as an example if they rate Wright as the best talent then great deal, they can get their guy and take say Weller as an example as a bonus midfielder who can help them and add to their best team.

If the Saints like McCartin and see him as the best in the draft or the player they want they could probably move down to 3 and ask for pick 23 or perhaps a Watts or Trengove as sweetners.

Personally would I do pick 1 for picks 4 and 7? Tempting but I'd pass. I see it more as Petracca, Brayshaw, Heeney, Moore and McCartin with everyone else (which would be pick 4 onward) as being that next group down. Given St Kilda get the opportunity to get the superiority of talent I'd go in that direction.

Someone suggested that Wright was likely to go with one of Melbourne's picks, that Melbourne considered McCartin too similar to Hogan.

Knightmare,

Do you think Collingwood are a chance to take Wright despite having Grundy, Witts, White, Cloke, Reid and Moore? And even Gault, to a lesser extent.
I think he will be the best available at pick 5 based on what I've seen... and good ruck/forwards are worth their weight in gold.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back