Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clayton played well and it was probably his best game for the season.

Roos playing ok at TAC Cup level.

Clayton the slightly better of the two and may be a chance late draft but neither are certainties.

I would agree.

I'll be doing a major reshuffle next update but Duggan while he can play back flank has mostly played midfield this year.

I expect Carlton to go tall - if one of Wright, McCartin, Durdin or Goddard are available they're the most likely to be picked. Brayshaw is another as a tall, big bodied midfielder who should be high on Carlton's list. I wouldn't be discounting Tyler Keitel either who I expect to go somewhere closer to Carlton's first selection.

Keitel would be a great pick for Carlton.
Very agile KPF, that leads well and is a great contested mark.
He attacks the contest strongly and can turn a game in 5 minutes.

What's the story with De Goey (attributes, role, etc)? Someone on our board who watches a lot of underage footy said a few weeks ago that he would take De Goey in the top 10 if he had two picks there.

De Goey is a really damaging player forward or midfield he plays both well. Strong mark overhead but what really stands out is his class with ball in hand with his ball use is excellent as a really creative player who can do some damage with his touches. Hits the scoreboard in bunches so he can do some real damage.

Could go somewhere around pick 15 on draft day.

Thanks for that. Sounds very Jack Billings-like. Is he a less productive version of Jack? Ben Lennon has similar attributes to the ones you just mentioned as well and would likely have gone around pick 15 had last year's draft been uncompromised (ie. if Martin and Hogan were in it), so I guess he'd be another one to compare him to. What are his speed and athleticism like?

Billings relatively is more of a 1v1 player with just incredible marking strength body on body for a guy his size and is the higher production guy of the two as the more accomplished midfielder as well as, as a deep forward.

De Goey is a good mover and is a touch taller than Billings but it's his class with ball in hand that you first notice about him and what makes him stand out.

We should make the Finals so the Lowest Pick we would get is Pick 10 and You would happily hand that over for Moore
Finish sixth and you'll be pick 14. I'd reckon 6th is as low as you are likely to be. So Moore for pick 14 - good value? Can't see other clubs letting him fall to your second pick at mid 30s, be too much of a free kick for you.

Hi KM, here are some comments from the W.A v S.A game for everyone to enjoy
Livewire South Fremantle speedster Jarrod Pickett is firming as a first-round pick at this year's national draft after almost dragging WA across the line against South Australia in the AFL under-18 championships.
Utilising his game-breaking pace, Pickett gathered 21 disposals and five clearances in the midfield and went forward to kick three goals, one of which brought WA back within a kick of the lead in the dying minutes of the game.
"He was breathtaking, exciting, thrilling, whatever adjective you want to throw in there for really showcasing brilliant ability," AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said.
Dylan Winton, Frances Watson and Clayton Giblett combined brilliantly in defence, with midfielders Ryan Lim, Brad Walsh and bottom-aged player Kade Stewart also producing their best games.
Pint-sized South Australian captain Jake Johansen continued his blistering start to the championships with 32 possessions, seven clearances, 10 inside 50s and two goals.
Melbourne father-son prospect Billy Stretch, son of former wingman Steven Stretch, showed a mix of smarts and skill on the wing, while Jackson Press kicked the side's final two goals of the game to seal the win.

Hey KM how did Billy Evans go yesterday?

One of many contributors but others were better.

You didn't have him in your rankings at all until the last edit Knightmare...slight oversight?

I had De Goey previously hidden away in the 40s. He had a poor round 1 of the champs which didn't leave me convinced but has rebounded since.

KM, who would you rate as the best players as no. 1 forwards in the draft? If we envisage our first pick being chained to the goal square when he isn't locked in the weights room, who are the best few options purely as full forwards?

I'm not sure it matters a great deal to Brisbane if Wright can play ruck, Durdin and Goddard defence, Lamb up the ground etc. A genuine goalkicker for 10 years is the priority.

KM, who would you rate as the best players as no. 1 forwards in the draft? If we envisage our first pick being chained to the goal square when he isn't locked in the weights room, who are the best few options purely as full forwards?

I'm not sure it matters a great deal to Brisbane if Wright can play ruck, Durdin and Goddard defence, Lamb up the ground etc. A genuine goalkicker for 10 years is the priority.

Wright, McCartin and Keitel for me. They all have the scope to be no.1 options up forward.

Durdin, Goddard and Moore are more number two options and Lamb I'm going a little cold on but wouldn't play him as a key forward anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice numbers there by jake johansen, is he quick? Being so small will hurt but where do you see his draft range km?

If he was 190cm and could do what he did he's be the best in the draft.

Johansen like Lewis Taylor last year can really play and is a second round chance. Could go anywhere from late first to around pick 50.

Just updated my first three rounds of my phantom draft. Was getting sick of how many guys weren't in there who should be so I've gotten around to getting some more bios up.

Who in the AFL would you compare Maishman to?

Do you know who was playing on Keitel during the last game?

Jackson Allen without the penetration or Sam Dwyer without the agility. In any case a small around 180cm who can run and use it well but without the contested side to his game.

Thoughts on Billy Stretch's tournament Knightmare?

Stretch has played really well. Probably after Johansen has been that next best for SA. Breaking the lines, using it well, finding plenty of it. Going well.

He's worth a second round selection so Melbourne can probably get him in the third round which would be an excellent outcome as he's really looking good.

You think we should take Defenders again this year is this really how you see Brisbane drafting

The Brisbane selections are fairly obvious ones.

Best available key position player first up then. Then lock in Dawson and Hammelmann with two of the other selections with Brisbane having priority over the pair as part of the Brisbane academy.

The best case scenario for Brisbane is no bids inside the first two rounds on either of Dawson or Hammelmann which may mean they're late draft bargains in the 3rd and 4th rounds and someone else can go 2nd round but I wouldn't be getting down on Dawson. He can play anywhere and was exceptional through the u18 champs last year and I expect more of the same from him again this year.

#33 Collingwood – Jake Johansen (SA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 171cm, Weight: 63kg, DOB: 13/06/1996
Recruited from: Port Adelaide Magpies

#35 Port Adelaide

Nice trolling haha

Just updated my first three rounds of my phantom draft. Was getting sick of how many guys weren't in there who should be so I've gotten around to getting some more bios up.

Curious, dont think we'd take Goddard at Pick 3? Durdin is probably not our replacement for Brown by any stretch, and he may end up more of a defender as youve said hes been there this year...

Although Goddard is of course a risk to leave...

Curious, dont think we'd take Goddard at Pick 3? Durdin is probably not our replacement for Brown by any stretch, and he may end up more of a defender as youve said hes been there this year...

Although Goddard is of course a risk to leave...

Goddard I wouldn't be locking in at 3 if Wright and McCartin are both taken. He's not Brown replacement and I don't see him as a no.1 option. Goddard has excellent upside but I'd be keeping my options open early in Brisbane's position.

Durdin I have there at this stage but Brayshaw would be an excellent get as a midfielder or perhaps while it's reaching Keitel is another one I'd consider as a possible no.1 option up forward who is showing some really good signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back