Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
could switkowski, miller or johnannesen slip through to the rookie draft?
would love west coast picking one up for added midfield grunt

Miller may go national draft, he may not but Switkowski and Johannsen should be available.

KM Is there a reason why McLaren didn't get draft combine inv IYO . I noticed he got state though ,I thought for sure he was a lock for that invite . Noticed Goodyear played too on the weekend KM 30 touches do you think he is a high draft pick ? his effective kicks looks below 60 % a lot of the times and am wondering is that a technique flaw or just too rushed in traffic I understand he is an inside mid type but kicking is a concern considering how important possession is these days. Maybe a good fit for the Bombers to feed it out ?. Just another note don't see much on caprion Is he travelling well or not rated highly enough ?

Lots of quality key position players this year and McLaren isn't one of the top ones so someone has to miss out.

Goodyear playing good enough but not dominating. Footskills ok but just finds lots of it under pressure which hurts his efficiency.

Capiron hasn't played as much TAC as others due to APS footy for Caufield Grammar. It won't stop him from getting drafted. It's just why many aren't talking about him as much as other.

KM you've said a couple of times Lachie Weller will likely start on a flank before becoming a more regular midfielder - are there any other midfielder types you see as being likely to start their careers playing predominantly in the back/forward lines?

Petracca I see starting out as a flanker. He can work his way into the midfield with time but on a forward flank and even pushing deep, that's where I see him starting.

Laverde, Dawson, Duggan, Nelson, De Goey, Maynard, Ellis, Vickers-Willis, Langford.

Lots of guys likely will start as flankers.

K, I read today where Lamb has come up on the radar for the Hawks.
I believe he has some issues and after the Garlett fiasco,surely the Hawks don't need to take a risk.
What do you think?

Lamb isn't a Garlett type problem. He's not as far as I'm aware a problem off field but on field he can from game to game lack consistent intent and intensity as a guy who isn't as consistently switched on as you'd like.

Outside of that clubs will have more information of what he's like off-field and whether he's a hard trainer. I'm in no position to judge those things as someone on the outside only able to observe his on field play

Is Lamb a fit for Hawthorn? In my view Hawthorn need some better key position players more but then again Hawthorn seem to enjoy those with versatility so he's definitely someone who could plausibly be on the short list.

Good work again km quick question who do you think the tiges will target with there first pick 7atm

I can see Richmond either adding a tall or someone who can do something outside.

Goddard or Pickett are two while I have no idea if Richmond are looking at them, they're two I see as list fits in Richmond's draft range with that first pick.

I can see Richmond either adding a tall or someone who can do something outside.

Goddard or Pickett are two while I have no idea if Richmond are looking at them, they're two I see as list fits in Richmond's draft range with that first pick.
Hi KM

Love reading your thoughts on all the young talent around. Makes not making the finals a little more interesting.
I know you see Goddard as potential target for the Tiges but your review isn't overly impressive on Goddard any reasons? Any chance we could be more into Ahern or Levarde. I don't see us picking up a Pickett with our first pick especially with our recent history of failed first round picks with aboriginal players.

On that note what other young Aboriginal players are there in this years draft which could net great value with some later picks?

Hi KM

Love reading your thoughts on all the young talent around. Makes not making the finals a little more interesting.
I know you see Goddard as potential target for the Tiges but your review isn't overly impressive on Goddard any reasons? Any chance we could be more into Ahern or Levarde. I don't see us picking up a Pickett with our first pick especially with our recent history of failed first round picks with aboriginal players.

On that note what other young Aboriginal players are there in this years draft which could net great value with some later picks?

Goddard I'm hard on like many others but his relatively below expected production this year I put down to his offseason hip surgery which has kept him from dominating as expected. Next year I expect he continues his development as normal. He's an excellent leader and hard trainer and has a well rounded game even without having that one point of difference. He can forward or back in my view definitely be a major component even if up forward he isn't THE go to guy.

There are some excellent indigenous footballers in this draft. Pickett, Ahern and Garlett in my view will all be good gets. Clem Smith will get drafted and Francis Watson as a rookie is a chance. Waylen Manson people seem to have forgotten about but as a rookie or even a late pick I really like him.

Ahern and Laverde I'm hoping start in this late portion of the season finding it more consistently and more often to justify a top 10 pick. Early draft I still most like the vast collection of talls with the talls where the value is at in a similar way to the 2006 draft (not quite to the same extent) with all those really good talls going first round and many of them going on to have strong careers.

Can you give a little bit of info on Harris Andrews from Queensland?

Tall from QLD with real scope to develop. Can play key forward, key defence or ruck if required. Good athlete. Strong and holds his own in the contest. Can go forward and take a grab and hit the scoreboard and down back has shown he can beat his guy and occasionally get involved as an interceptor.

If Brisbane don't nominate him with one of their late picks then another club could well take a shot at him.

What are your thoughts on Reece McKenzie and where you rate him. Would he be a good pick for Brisbane.

McKenzie has something and has had some BIG games. I'm just waiting for him to do it against a good team and waiting for him to put it together week in week out. If he does that then he can be a second round selection and one with real scope to develop.

KM, what's your take on Foster's son? I've seen that he has kicked a few bags. Would the dogs try him as a longer term father / son prospect as I know he has spent most of his time attempting to forge a rowing career.

I worry as we don't tend to do well developing long term forwards at the dogs. Especially farther sons. Eg: Cordy.

KM, what's your take on Foster's son? I've seen that he has kicked a few bags. Would the dogs try him as a longer term father / son prospect as I know he has spent most of his time attempting to forge a rowing career.

I worry as we don't tend to do well developing long term forwards at the dogs. Especially farther sons. Eg: Cordy.

Foster has hit the scoreboard this year.

He's a late/rookie chance.

I prefer some of the other key forwards in this draft. Foster plays close to goal and hits the scoreboard reasonably well but doesn't find as much of it as I'd like. Watching him to me he feels more like someone who can be a good state league forward but not an AFL quality forward - though others may disagree.

Interesting if he's a rower. Bonus points for anyone who rows and rows seriously in my books. The professionalism required in those private school rowing programs is strong and they learn strong team concepts in the sport more than in just about any other environment.

I'd say more so the issue for the dogs goes a little beyond just poor development of talls but also not taking any key position players with early draft picks also hurts those key tall and particularly key forward stocks with those best guys time and time again coming from early picks.

True about the lack of early picks going to forwards. He was going to throw footy in altogether and just focus on rowing so I guess he has the discipline that comes with rowing.

One last doggies related question. Zaine Cordy. Worth a 3rd round father son? What is his best position? How does he compare to the other backs of the comp?

Hi Knightmare what are your thoughts on collingwood trading up to get to 1st round picks to get Jarrod Pickett?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never heard about Jayden Foster's interest in rowing. I was aware of Will Beasley's (son of Simon) choice of rowing over football

True about the lack of early picks going to forwards. He was going to throw footy in altogether and just focus on rowing so I guess he has the discipline that comes with rowing.

One last doggies related question. Zaine Cordy. Worth a 3rd round father son? What is his best position? How does he compare to the other backs of the comp?

Cordy could be worth picking but I'd say like Foster more as a rookie for me.

He reminds me a little of Tyson Goldsack as a defender. Has key position height but not key position size. Gives good effort and has a crack but probably more a 3rd tall as a negating type at the next level.

Hi Knightmare what are your thoughts on collingwood trading up to get to 1st round picks to get Jarrod Pickett?

It's something that could be considered. Pickett is the elite linebreaker in this draft and it's something Collingwood need.

I'd actually be more inclined to pick Hugh Goddard if we had that further first round pick.

The issue in Collingwood's situation is who can be traded? Outside of Goldsack the rest of our list is contracted as far as I'm aware and those who Collingwood would be willing to trade I don't see netting a top 10 pick which is likely what would be needed.

If a trade possibility opens up I'd be open to exploring it. An example would be if Collingwood could get James Frawley as a free agent that would leave Keeffe and Brown as two players who quite possibly would feel motivated to move. Move either of them in a trade and a first round pick is a possible return but I imagine it would be a late first round pick which likely wouldn't quite be enough.

Not familiar with either of the boys no.

As QLDers unless they're AIS boys or have played u18 champs chances are I haven't seen them in action.

Anything further I should know?

How is Harry Dear tracking KM and is he in the frame for F&S at the Hawks?

Dear was invited to the draft combine so he's drawn some interest.

He's more someone I consider a rookie pick with other talls in this draft better performed but Dear at his height is more an intriguing project with scope to improve.

Not out of the question Dear is nominated or taken in the national draft by another club if Hawthorn don't take a shot but for me personally there are others I would pick instead of Dear.

McKenzie has something and has had some BIG games. I'm just waiting for him to do it against a good team and waiting for him to put it together week in week out. If he does that then he can be a second round selection and one with real scope to develop.

Hasn't stopped Jack Riewoldt from winning a Coleman or two:p

Cordy could be worth picking but I'd say like Foster more as a rookie for me.

He reminds me a little of Tyson Goldsack as a defender. Has key position height but not key position size. Gives good effort and has a crack but probably more a 3rd tall as a negating type at the next level.

It's something that could be considered. Pickett is the elite linebreaker in this draft and it's something Collingwood need.

I'd actually be more inclined to pick Hugh Goddard if we had that further first round pick.

The issue in Collingwood's situation is who can be traded? Outside of Goldsack the rest of our list is contracted as far as I'm aware and those who Collingwood would be willing to trade I don't see netting a top 10 pick which is likely what would be needed.

If a trade possibility opens up I'd be open to exploring it. An example would be if Collingwood could get James Frawley as a free agent that would leave Keeffe and Brown as two players who quite possibly would feel motivated to move. Move either of them in a trade and a first round pick is a possible return but I imagine it would be a late first round pick which likely wouldn't quite be enough.

Not familiar with either of the boys no.

As QLDers unless they're AIS boys or have played u18 champs chances are I haven't seen them in action.

Anything further I should know?

You think either of these two players would get the Pies a first rounder o_O

You think either of these two players would get the Pies a first rounder o_O

Given Dawes and Wellingham netted Collingwood first round selections a couple of years back I would expect so.

Brown and Keeffe are both better footballers.

Hawthorn as one example I imagine would make a play at either with their first round pick. They badly lack key position players and key defenders specifically and are a win now team with a tendency to offload picks for established players. It's the type of move I could see Hawthorn enquiring about more so than Collingwood bringing up at the trade table.

Given Dawes and Wellingham netted Collingwood first round selections a couple of years back I would expect so.

Brown and Keeffe are both better footballers.

Hawthorn as one example I imagine would make a play at either with their first round pick. They badly lack key position players and key defenders specifically and are a win now team with a tendency to offload picks for established players. It's the type of move I could see Hawthorn enquiring about more so than Collingwood bringing up at the trade table.

Brown is becoming the new Tayte Pears. Injury prone, supposed high value trade bait that gets endlessly hawked around by supporters wanting twice as much as he's worth. He can't live off beating a stricken Nick Riewoldt forever.

Keefe would have value but a tad below the Dawes level. He's a KPD whereas Dawes was a KPF.

Pies ripped WCE a new one with the Wellingham swap.

imho

Brown is becoming the new Tayte Pears. Injury prone, supposed high value trade bait that gets endlessly hawked around by supporters wanting twice as much as he's worth. He can't live off beating a stricken Nick Riewoldt forever.

Keefe would have value but a tad below the Dawes level. He's a KPD whereas Dawes was a KPF.

imho
Piss off Terry Pears is absolutely worth the 10-20 pick Essendon fans were throwing up last year. They meant pre-season draft pick yeah??

imho

3rd rounder at best...Pies' staff probably left the trade meeting in giggling fits :p

Don't worry mate. Some of our brethren think Levi is too valuable to include in a swap with Pick 6 for Tom Boyd:)
You want a key forward? Well good news Pears has been playing forward in the VFL so primed and ready. You can have him and we'll take Garlett hell have Leroy as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back