Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2015 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Westhoff , but more ability in ruck with vertical leap
Wagner has been sensational as well , good day for Brisbane

Hipwood a bit quiet. And Weller. I really hope we grab Buzza as a Rookie, although we havnt actually nominated him.

Could be a Bliscavs type player?

Chol doesn't run like Blicavs. Not that anyone does. But he may become some variation on Blicavs as that more mobile style ruckman certainly.

There isn't a particular AFL comparison as someone fairly new and unique in his game. But as a developmental vision he should aspire to become something like a Tom Nicholls with his tap work and around the ground more of a Cox/S.Martin in terms of involvement, production, running and skills.

Same height as Shane Mumford and Mark Blicavs, taller than Patrick Ryder and Stef Martin, and he seems to have a better leap than most of them.

You will retort by saying that Mumford is different because he provides X, and Blicavs is different because he provides Y, but there is evidence that 198cm is absolutely not too short for a ruckman if they can contribute strongly around the ground. Some of them are pretty handy at centre bounces too.

Chol could be Paddy Ryder if things go right.

I see height as not entirely necessary. But certainly preferred and ideal with that ruck position only getting taller.

Chol may have enough other things where like some of those names (Blicavs/Ryder/Martin). He can make it work.

But as with all young talls. The work is ahead of him to make that happen.

Really liked Hibberd's game. Looks super impressive. Also warming more on Himmelberg as a good replacement for Mcarthy.

Knightmare.

That Weller from Queensland who could be a Brisbane Academy selection.

Any relation of former Lion Luke Weller?

Not aware of Weller being a relation of any past player or Luke.

Really liked Hibberd's game. Looks super impressive. Also warming more on Himmelberg as a good replacement for Mcarthy.

Himmelberg's footskills looked improved today, and like McCarthy who similarly by foot was still a work in progress through the u18s, Himmelberg has similarly by foot come from some way back. They do look alike and very similar gamestyle.

GWS would do well to nominate Himmelberg. He probably isn't quite McCarthy good, but he could be the next best thing.

Hibberd has some ability. Really liked some of his aerial work today.

Hipwood a bit quiet. And Weller. I really hope we grab Buzza as a Rookie, although we havnt actually nominated him.

Buzza may be worth a late draft/rookie spot for Brisbane given the still lack of a key forward. He is a big boy and has shown he can hit the scoreboard and take some strong marks. And he has a real physical edge to him. So he could be worth a shot.

Hipwood I agree was quiet in a game I expected he would be close to if not best on ground going in with Mills/Hopper/Keays all absent and playing against younger kpps in the form of the u17 group.

It's a tricky one with the draft in terms of the performance of those father son or academy players as to whether you want them dominating or having below standard days.

Chol for Brisbane on the other side of the spectrum to Hipwood dominated. So Brisbane had a bit of both.

I'm personally on the side of I'd prefer to see the guys dominate. A performance like that from Chol as an example. It makes you appreciate that he can actually have that kind of performance and gives you greater confidence in picking him that he can become an AFL standard footballer. Performance drives the price up but I'd rather pay a lot for someone who can dominate than pay not a lot for someone I don't see as a long term or otherwise speculative footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did Mills go today Knightmare.. cant find any stats for the game.

Like Hopper and Keays did not play.

Any chance you could post a link to the stats for the game?

Have not come across the stats for the game.

Found a lot more of it than I gave him credit for it seems.

He took a couple of strong marks and did some solid inside work but surprised to hear he found that much of it.
Thought Kennedy was quiet. Scheer looks like a contested beast. Sam Petrevski-Seton has evasion and damage by foot like Ablett.

Thought Kennedy was quiet. Scheer looks like a contested beast. Sam Petrevski-Seton has evasion and damage by foot like Ablett.

Chol was best on and was rough not getting the medal.

Himmelberg was good. Buzza did his thing up forward. Wagner by foot was good. Dodge at times showed flashes and probably could have had another couple of goals. Rioli and Hagan did some nice things.

Of the younger guys it was a more even performance with less extreme standouts but I agree Petrevski-Seton I also had among my bests and possibly the best for the u17s. Overall with the u17s it felt more like an even performance where most showed small glimpses without any out and out dominating with Petrevski-Seton that only one from that u17 group that I'd agree looked that class above his teammates.

Chol was best on and was rough not getting the medal.

Himmelberg was good. Buzza did his thing up forward. Wagner by foot was good. Dodge at times showed flashes and probably could have had another couple of goals. Rioli and Hagan did some nice things.

Of the younger guys it was a more even performance with less extreme standouts but I agree Petrevski-Seton I also had among my bests and possibly the best for the u17s. Overall with the u17s it felt more like an even performance where most showed small glimpses without any out and out dominating with Petrevski-Seton that only one from that u17 group that I'd agree looked that class above his teammates.

Chol had a great 1st quarter but fell away afer that. Showed Promise.

I would have rated the best players

Himmelberg
Kennedy
Petrevski-Seton

Chol and Wagner were good in the next group bellow

Same height as Shane Mumford and Mark Blicavs, taller than Patrick Ryder and Stef Martin, and he seems to have a better leap than most of them.

You will retort by saying that Mumford is different because he provides X, and Blicavs is different because he provides Y, but there is evidence that 198cm is absolutely not too short for a ruckman if they can contribute strongly around the ground. Some of them are pretty handy at centre bounces too.

Chol's leap means he could be better at centre bounces than other 203cm ruckman. bulk and asgression are what he lacks. pretty sure he can develop the former, not sure about the latter. something there to work with though.

It's a tricky one with the draft in terms of the performance of those father son or academy players as to whether you want them dominating or having below standard days.

Chol for Brisbane on the other side of the spectrum to Hipwood dominated. So Brisbane had a bit of both.

I'm personally on the side of I'd prefer to see the guys dominate. A performance like that from Chol as an example. It makes you appreciate that he can actually have that kind of performance and gives you greater confidence in picking him that he can become an AFL standard footballer. Performance drives the price up but I'd rather pay a lot for someone who can dominate than pay not a lot for someone I don't see as a long term or otherwise speculative footballer.

I guess the difference is Hipwood was always getting drafted - it was a matter of where. Before this match, Chol was mentioned as a chance to get drafted, but (my read) more likely rookie. He did a fair bit to move himself into genuine draft calculations yesterday. Good on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back