Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2015 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say I noted Isaac Franks honestly in either of Tasmania's two games.

I complete a play by play every game of each play that really catches my eye. And I probably each quarter will compile a page of handwritten notes.

In quickly glancing my notes from those two games I haven't noted him once, and that could well be an oversight as clearly you have noticed something I haven't, but at the same time I haven't been watching him closely as I have with others, so that could be part of it also.

So at this stage I can't comment beyond that.

Down back for Tassie Hibberd as more your rebounding type is the one who has impressed me. Reynold has also been ok. Gardiner as a taller type down back has impressed with some of his intercept marking. They're the three better Tassie backs through the first two games to my eyes and those who late/rookie draft should in my view be in the mix.

You should relook at that game and keep an eye out for Frances. He'll be one of the first Tassie players drafted. Super impressive defender. Classic versatile backman who could play tall or small.

Worked closely with the last 5 years nationals and believe this draft will turn out to be a cracker....7 amazing talls.

Think it will go like

Pick
1-Carlton-Schache
2-Brisbane -Weitering
3-Gold Coast-Francis
4-St Kilda-Parish
5-Melbourne-Ar-Chee
6-Essendon-Clarke
7-GWS-Tucker
8-Geelong-Mathieson
9-Bulldogs-McKay
10-Port Adelaide-Burton

11?? -Collins
Your thoughts Champ??

I'm not sure how Gold Coast don't finish bottom. Carlton are looking more competitive and can win another few games. Brisbane should be better with players starting to come back.

Ah Chee and Clarke may not quite go 5/6 and likely more around that top 10 mark. Mathieson is making a push towards 5-6.

Otherwise probably as good as any top 10 attempt of those outside the academies.

Derek Hine mentioned the top 10 may consist of 7 talls.

By talls listening to what Derek said. He wasn't refering so much to KPPs was my take out of that. But just generally guys who might be considered tallish (that might mean 190cm+ in the context he was speaking).

So that may just mean Schache/Weitering/Francis/Curnow/Burton/Collins/Weideman/McKay - with Francis and Burton not KPPs. And then Parish/Partington/Tucker/Balic are those sub 190cm he was talking about as those top end guys who aren't those talls (as Derek in his comments was alluding to 190cm or taller types).

Hey knightmare
Rhys Mathieson really impressed me in his game against South Australia. He seems like a very busy player who isn't afraid of getting his hands dirty. On championships form I have him ahead of Darcy parish at this stage. Only query is what is his pace on the outside like? And how do you rate him by foot? St Kilda seem to have a lot of young inside mids as it is and we need to inject some class and pace on the outside, so I was just wondering do you see him purely as a inside clearance ball winner?
Cheers

Mathieson has played very well through the champs. He is productive as anything. Dominant inside. Can find the outside ball. Can even at times hit the scoreboard. My knock on him is his footskills with some occasional reliability issues, a slight lack of hurt factor and degree of inefficiency by position.

Below average athlete but not a poor athlete.

So as a result of that I do see Mathieson as an inside leaning midfielder as he can also find the ball outside, though is best inside as he is showing through the u18 champs. But he does also have ability forward of centre, so I would look to at times rotate him forward. (He had 15 goals from 14 games in the TAC Cup last season. And while his scoreboard impact is down playing heavier midfield minutes this season, it's still something while not a great strength, is something he can to an adequate level offer as he is not great but ok overhead and a slightly above average leaper).

Hey knightmare, what are your thoughts on Darcy Tucker and his draft range? Also have you seen much of Jarrod Berry playing for Country as an underager. Both boys are from my area and have played with and against them both so interested to hear your take.

Tucker is probably a 5-15 selection this year if the draft were held tomorrow. Some were saying potential number one coming into the season but Schache, Weitering and Francis have taken their games to another level to surpass the likes of Tucker and Parish who were two of the favourites coming into the season.

Berry is another year away. But playing for Vic Country also is a terrific sign that he is on the radar of clubs for next year. He has shown glimpses this year and will still need to put everything together to ensure he gets drafted next season, but he has strong draft chances with continued development and strong form next season.

You should relook at that game and keep an eye out for Frances. He'll be one of the first Tassie players drafted. Super impressive defender. Classic versatile backman who could play tall or small.

Blimey! One of the first Tasmanians picked. Sounds like I may need to review his play.

I'm hoping you're not confusing Franks with Aaron Francis from SA.

My personal draft board for the Tasmanians is:
-- Those I would consider drafting depending on need--
Dodge
Sushames
Rainbird
Gardner
Hibberd
-- Those I wouldn't at this point draft but feel should be considered --
Reynolds
Hayden
Lovell

I'll have another review of the games and watch the remaining game of Tasmania and see if Franks can find his way onto one of these lists.

I'm not sure how Gold Coast don't finish bottom. Carlton are looking more competitive and can win another few games. Brisbane should be better with players starting to come back.

Ah Chee and Clarke may not quite go 5/6 and likely more around that top 10 mark. Mathieson is making a push towards 5-6.

Otherwise probably as good as any top 10 attempt of those outside the academies.

By talls listening to what Derek said. He wasn't refering so much to KPPs was my take out of that. But just generally guys who might be considered tallish (that might mean 190cm+ in the context he was speaking).

So that may just mean Schache/Weitering/Francis/Curnow/Burton/Collins/Weideman/McKay - with Francis and Burton not KPPs. And then Parish/Partington/Tucker/Balic are those sub 190cm he was talking about as those top end guys who aren't those talls (as Derek in his comments was alluding to 190cm or taller types).
KM I was told by a recruiter that the clubs will be chasing the best talls early in this years draft, 2016 draft is stronger with mids, your thoughts?

Mathieson has played very well through the champs. He is productive as anything. Dominant inside. Can find the outside ball. Can even at times hit the scoreboard. My knock on him is his footskills with some occasional reliability issues, a slight lack of hurt factor and degree of inefficiency by position.

So as a result of that I do see Mathieson as an inside leaning midfielder as he can also find the ball outside, though is best inside as he is showing through the u18 champs. But he does also have ability forward of centre, so I would look to at times rotate him forward. (He had 15 goals from 14 games in the TAC Cup last season. And while his scoreboard impact is down playing heavier midfield minutes this season, it's still something while not a great strength, is something he can to an adequate level offer as he is not great but ok overhead and a slightly above average leaper).

Knight mare what are your thoughts on sandringhams Corey Lyons in terms of potentially getting picked up! Noticed he is the brother of adelaides jarryd

Could be a tight finish; the second Q-Clash could decide who gets pick #1...

upload_2015-6-29_21-56-26.png

Blimey! One of the first Tasmanians picked. Sounds like I may need to review his play.

I'm hoping you're not confusing Franks with Aaron Francis from SA.

My personal draft board for the Tasmanians is:
-- Those I would consider drafting depending on need--
Dodge
Sushames
Rainbird
Gardner
Hibberd
-- Those I wouldn't at this point draft but feel should be considered --
Reynolds
Hayden
Lovell

I'll have another review of the games and watch the remaining game of Tasmania and see if Franks can find his way onto one of these lists.

Franks is the one, my bad. I watched the 2nd and 3rd Q of last week's game and he was head and shoulders above the QLD forwards.

I'm not up to date on the GCS contracts, but is C Dixon a restricted free agent? If so and he walks to Brisbane on big coin, GCS get a compensation pick immediately after their first round which leaves them with picks 1,2 or 2,3?

Franks is the one, my bad. I watched the 2nd and 3rd Q of last week's game and he was head and shoulders above the QLD forwards.

I'm not up to date on the GCS contracts, but is C Dixon a restricted free agent? If so and he walks to Brisbane on big coin, GCS get a compensation pick immediately after their first round which leaves them with picks 1,2 or 2,3?

Dixon isn't a free agent.

He was really good in the first half against NSW also. Haven't really seen anyone beside you talk about him though. Maybe his athleticism isn't great? He seems to be a good contested mark and kick/decision maker though.

I'm seeing it the same way Glenny.

And that probably with those clubs with the top picks will make them all the more reluctant.

After all. We've had guys like Watts, Scully, Whitfield, Patton, Boyd, Swallow and McCartin go number one overall in recent years. And picks 2+3 have rarely produced stars.

But this year certainly those top two. It feels like those guys can be the very best in the draft, as opposed to just good-very good footballers at the next level who aren't among those best few from their drafts.
This is going to make for a few deals been thrown around a trade time. Exciting times.

Knight mare what are your thoughts on sandringhams Corey Lyons in terms of potentially getting picked up! Noticed he is the brother of adelaides jarryd

Started the season slowly (and have not noted him) but in more recent weeks his numbers are on the rise and is likely playing a more prominent role.

It will be interesting to see whether he puts a strong second half to the season together. That will be what will determine whether or not he gets drafted, as he was not prominent pre-u18 champs and was not getting selected for the Vic Metro squad.

So against the odds he gets drafted (as he wasn't selected to play Vic Metro) until he showed in the back end of the season that he is better than his peers.

Could be a tight finish; the second Q-Clash could decide who gets pick #1...

View attachment 148069

Harsh of Brisbane only winning the four games, and generous to Gold Coast giving them the four wins I would have thought.

I'm struggling with Gold Coast's depleted team until their better players return and are in form as to who they can beat.

Dixon I believe will become a free agent next year if he only signs a one year deal. So clubs given Dixon will be out of contract will be looking to get him via trade.

Knightmare, could you please give me a run down on Matthew Kennedy's pros n cons. For a highly regarded draftee there is not a lot written about him that describes how he plays. Also, who would you compare him to in terms of playing style? Cheers bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was really good in the first half against NSW also. Haven't really seen anyone beside you talk about him though. Maybe his athleticism isn't great? He seems to be a good contested mark and kick/decision maker though.

I had another look at his 3rd Q vs QLD just to check I wasn't going insane. I don't follow any of the players like KM but he was a real eyecatcher for me when I was watching.

On the second look, he definitely needs to work on his fitness if he wants to cut it at next level. He could be real damaging if he increased his handball receives/run from defense. But that is always something they can build into him. I still rate him as Tassie's best defender on talent alone. Maybe worth a late rounder/rookie for a QLD club (no go home factor)based on the second looks...

carltons draw gets harder from here. Next win will be against Melbourne and that's it

Started the season slowly (and have not noted him) but in more recent weeks his numbers are on the rise and is likely playing a more prominent role.

It will be interesting to see whether he puts a strong second half to the season together. That will be what will determine whether or not he gets drafted, as he was not prominent pre-u18 champs and was not getting selected for the Vic Metro squad.

So against the odds he gets drafted (as he wasn't selected to play Vic Metro) until he showed in the back end of the season that he is better than his peers.

Harsh of Brisbane only winning the four games, and generous to Gold Coast giving them the four wins I would have thought.

I'm struggling with Gold Coast's depleted team until their better players return and are in form as to who they can beat.

Dixon I believe will become a free agent next year if he only signs a one year deal. So clubs given Dixon will be out of contract will be looking to get him via trade.
I'm fairly sure he's an underager so if he keeps playing like he does this year and then improves next year then he'd likely put himself on draft boards?

Hey Knightmare

What have you thought of Jacob Allison sofar? top 10 selection possible next year?

Also which mids would you say are the quicker line breaking type mids in the current draft?

always a good read on how you view certain players

Hey Knightmare

What have you thought of Jacob Allison sofar? top 10 selection possible next year?

Also which mids would you say are the quicker line breaking type mids in the current draft?

always a good read on how you view certain players
I'm not Knightmare, but Jacob Allison is an extremely talented player. 193cm but best played as a midfielder, he has time to fill out and become a dominant, versatile clearance machine. Seems to have good athletic attributes, as well as fantastic ball-winning and distribution skills. ATM, he is definitely a top-10 pick player (if not for Academies) if not up there with the highest few.

Hey Knightmare

Love the work as always.

If the ladder stands as it is do you see any way Weitering could make it to the Saints?

The Suns have a fair few KPP on their list and if the Lions add Dixon and get the feel good story in Schache could it open the door?

Carlton and Melbourne would take him wouldnt they? Any hope they take Parish and Matheison?

Would the Suns look at Francis #1? Would they go crazy and bid on Mills/Hopper?

Last edited:
I'm not KM but from everything I'm reading Schache and Weitering are absolute locks for 1 & 2, a club can never have too many KP players, they are so valuable as trades so these two will both be enjoying Qld sunshine next winter.

The problem when you start winning games is your draft position deteriorates, just as you and Carlton supporters are discovering. No way now you'll finish low enough to grab either of those two.

As for GCS bidding on other clubs academy players, I reckon there will be a gentleman's agreement not to cut each others lunch when it serves no purpose to non owning club. I'd only expect Melbourne clubs to push up the price of the Hoppers and Mills types.

As for GCS bidding on other clubs academy players, I reckon there will be a gentleman's agreement not to cut each others lunch when it serves no purpose to non owning club. I'd only expect Melbourne clubs to push up the price of the Hoppers and Mills types.

Gentlemans agreement?

I'm not so sure gcs would have any agreement with bris to not bid on their players and vice versa. I mean these clubs are rivals not buddies. And how would an agreement work? To not bid unless a super prospect is available that the club would really actually want? How about when it's obvious?

I think any club will bid on a player if they were really happy to take that player with that pick. I think clubs with academies won't jump the gun and try to bid slightly early.

I don't think Brisbane feel like they owe sydney anything , and that they shouldn't bid on their players. Nor would or should a club feel like they have been cheated if a club with an academy nominates a player.

Having said that a lot of times these teams will already have their picks being pushed back by academy selections

Callum Twomey is rating 6 Academy players in the first 15 picks do you think that's right? Where would you rate them at the moment?

Hipwood
Keays
Mills
Kennedy
Hopper
Not sure who the 6th one is

I just listened to this myself. I wouldn't be surprised if Calam was initially including Dunkley in the 6. He did say afterwards he has a father son in the 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back