Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2015 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, I didn't realise you could not have a bit of a joke when your team is not doing well.
My mistake

relax. It was a joke too. Dont worry we wont be making finals this year unless we pull off a couple of unbelievable wins.

All we have is like you guys to celebrate 20 year reunions of GF wins, because our cupboard is bare aside from 97 and 98.

relax. It was a joke too. Dont worry we wont be making finals this year unless we pull off a couple of unbelievable wins.

All we have is like you guys to celebrate 20 year reunions of GF wins, because our cupboard is bare aside from 97 and 98.
All good.
As for the reunions, I am fed up with Carlton living on the past.
They are always going to have premiership reunions but we are so focused on the past that it seems to distract us from the way forward.
I also voted for the modern jumper instead of the one that we resorted to for the same reasons.

So, do you think this will be the race for the "Schache Cup" or the "Weitering Cup?" LOL

In some respects.

The players will still go out there and play hard. After all. Their careers are on the line.

You'll see those clubs down the bottom, or a few of them, if not most of them look to play youth over experience with a view to get games into the younger players - which as a result will lead to a reduced likelihood of winning. So from that perspective if say Brisbane really want Schache, then that would be the way they would approach selection.
But no one is there to lose. Players, coaches. No one. It's just that altering of strategy at the selection table.

Bennell seems to be back on track and has a point to prove, so maybe it's between Carlton and Brisbane for the spoon?
I haven't looked at the run home for each club.
It won't matter much who is in Carlton's draw - we won't beat any of 'em!

Gold Coast might not win another game without Ablett, so they may well finish bottom. And their only potential win looking at the draw and based on performance to date they may win, is Brisbane in Brisbane. But in Brisbane, maybe not with Brisbane the healthier team.

I have it out of Brisbane and Gold Coast, with Carlton that third team in the mix of bottom position.

The AFL is a joke, the game that is the final one for the year which will determine the first draft pick should be done on the basis of a coin toss after the game.

FFS Of course there is plenty of incentive for coach and committees to tank for an insignificant game that is forgotten a few hours later.

You might like to read what I had to say when I picked Hipwood at 14 in the bigfooty trial phantom draft a few weeks back now. That should reveal all:

14. Collingwood - Eric Hipwood (QLD – Brisbane Academy - KPP)
Height: 200cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 13/09/1997
Recruited from: Caloundra

Just on Hipwood - do you think he has high bust potential too?

Is very raw by foot and in his body, think it could go either way.

The AFL is a joke, the game that is the final one for the year which will determine the first draft pick should be done on the basis of a coin toss after the game.

FFS Of course there is plenty of incentive for coach and committees to tank for an insignificant game that is forgotten a few hours later.

I advocate a draft lottery for those teams finishing outside the top 8, whereby 9th has the same opportunity as 18th to get the top pick etc.

Where I feel a different to fairness could be made is those bottom 10 teams should be awarded a temporarily increased salary cap to enable them to sign or trade for some better players to improve their competitiveness. And with consecutive years of bottom 10 finishes that salary cap can continue to increase, until they get back into the top 8 after which time that salary cap space can over time go back to it's normal state.

The reality is still, clubs don't seem to understand the point that the draft doesn't help teams get better. It hasn't worked for Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond when they were all in through the draft, GWS were no good until they traded for veteran talent. So clubs very much still today have a very backward perspective as to how to get better and build a competitive team.

Just on Hipwood - do you think he has high bust potential too?

Is very raw by foot and in his body, think it could go either way.

There is that possibility, and Hipwood isn't as sure a thing as Schache and Weitering who look like much more complete and finished products relatively speaking by position.

In saying that Hipwood meets my criteria. Productive, improving. Has his points of difference with his ability to read the flight, his ability to take a grab, his height, good movement. Put all that together, and I very much like at either end what he offers.

What do people think should be realistic bait from the Dogs to get Jake Carlisle? Considering Luke Beveridge doesn't see Minson as part of the Dogs future, would it be likely that we offer Minson + 2nd round pick for Carlisle, since the Bombers are in desperate need of a ruckman? I don't think we would sacrifice a 10-15 type pick, which could be used for an outside runner, and a third rounder could get us a young ruckman - possibly Nyuon or Flynn.

What do people think should be realistic bait from the Dogs to get Jake Carlisle? Considering Luke Beveridge doesn't see Minson as part of the Dogs future, would it be likely that we offer Minson + 2nd round pick for Carlisle, since the Bombers are in desperate need of a ruckman? I don't think we would sacrifice a 10-15 type pick, which could be used for an outside runner, and a third rounder could get us a young ruckman - possibly Nyuon or Flynn.
So we get a ruckman who's averaging less hitouts in the VFL than Tom Bellchambers in the AFL and a pick in the 30's.

Tom Campbell and your 1st is closer to the mark.

I don't believe Carlisle is worth as much as some believe however unless you shuffle some picks and players your first rounder will most likely need to be used.

Ideally a late 1st/early 2nd and a Lachie Hunter type.

Going off current ladder position, you could trade pick 12 and 31 for Gold Coasts pick 19 (end of first round compo) and pick 21. Then trade 21 and Hunter for Carlisle. This is similar to what Port did to get Polec.

In the end it's:
12, 31 and Hunter for 19 and Carlisle.

KM,
I've seen Dunkley play a couple of games for the Richmond VFL game and was after a little more info. He generally rotates between hb/hf. What position is he suited too? Also, he looks a bit slow and his kicking only looks average.

Carlisle is worth in my view a late first round pick. Probably somewhere in the 15-20 range.

Essendon given their list position I don't see them as being in the market for a veteran ruckman. I expect they'll be looking to get younger and build around their young core group. More appealing to them would be a Scott Lycett as a young ruckman who better fits their list age profile and also could successfully co-exist with Bellchambers if they want to use both in combination as Lycett is a very able forward also.

If the Dogs trade Minson. I see it more likely being to a contending team. GWS would also make sense, with Mumford's durability issues.

KM,
I've seen Dunkley play a couple of games for the Richmond VFL game and was after a little more info. He generally rotates between hb/hf. What position is he suited too? Also, he looks a bit slow and his kicking only looks average.

Dunkley is best suited as a midfielder. Think of him as something like Sydney's Josh Kennedy. As with Dunkley, it would be an odd sight seeing Kennedy used as a flanker.

Dunkley is a genuine big bodied, contested ball winning midfielder. He can at times push forward, take a mark and hit the scoreboard. But his go is playing on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlisle is worth in my view a late first round pick. Probably somewhere in the 15-20 range.

Essendon given their list position I don't see them as being in the market for a veteran ruckman. I expect they'll be looking to get younger and build around their young core group. More appealing to them would be a Scott Lycett as a young ruckman who better fits their list age profile and also could successfully co-exist with Bellchambers if they want to use both in combination as Lycett is a very able forward also.

If the Dogs trade Minson. I see it more likely being to a contending team. GWS would also make sense, with Mumford's durability issues.
Ok, fair enough. I feel that the Dogs are unlikely to give up Roughead or Campbell given they could both become a nice ruck partnership in the near future. On Cordy, though, I do wonder whether would he interest a team like Essendon? Young, and has a lot of talent which just needs to be unlocked, but a change of scenery might just do that. I think he's been given his last extended chance at the Dogs, and we'll be looking to soon move him on.

Ok, fair enough. I feel that the Dogs are unlikely to give up Roughead or Campbell given they could both become a nice ruck partnership in the near future. On Cordy, though, I do wonder whether would he interest a team like Essendon? Young, and has a lot of talent which just needs to be unlocked, but a change of scenery might just do that. I think he's been given his last extended chance at the Dogs, and we'll be looking to soon move him on.
No way known. Both McKernan and Daniher are better.

I think Brisbane should put Stef Martin up for a club looking for a ruckman what do you think we could get for him. Would he get us a key forward
I would have thought Brisbane would be more likely to list Leuenberger over Stef Martin. Martin adds another dimension to an exciting Brisbane midfield, and his athleticism draws a comparison to Naitanui. Leuenberger is very talented, but as a sole ruckman without the added forward or ruck-rover capability.

I would have thought Brisbane would be more likely to list Leuenberger over Stef Martin. Martin adds another dimension to an exciting Brisbane midfield, and his athleticism draws a comparison to Naitanui. Leuenberger is very talented, but as a sole ruckman without the added forward or ruck-rover capability.
Leuey is the better ruckman he wins the hitouts to advantage showed last night against the best ruckman in the AFL how good he can be is younger and fits our age range I could see us trade Martin if he got us a key forward

I think Brisbane should put Stef Martin up for a club looking for a ruckman what do you think we could get for him. Would he get us a key forward

Stef Martin would make for a fascinating trade chip. And there is a case that trading Martin is probably better than losing Leuenberger as a free agent for nothing in that at least for Martin some better compensation would be received and as someone a few years older his lifespan in the game may be a couple of years less than Leuenberger may have remaining.

Given Martin's age and previous durability issues. Clubs should be aware and not over-pay. But some contending teams would love to have him.

Can Stef Martin get a key forward? I can't imagine he would get a good one. More likely he could be cashed in for a late first round pick.

In some respects.

The players will still go out there and play hard. After all. Their careers are on the line.

You'll see those clubs down the bottom, or a few of them, if not most of them look to play youth over experience with a view to get games into the younger players - which as a result will lead to a reduced likelihood of winning. So from that perspective if say Brisbane really want Schache, then that would be the way they would approach selection.
But no one is there to lose. Players, coaches. No one. It's just that altering of strategy at the selection table.

Gold Coast might not win another game without Ablett, so they may well finish bottom. And their only potential win looking at the draw and based on performance to date they may win, is Brisbane in Brisbane. But in Brisbane, maybe not with Brisbane the healthier team.

I have it out of Brisbane and Gold Coast, with Carlton that third team in the mix of bottom position.

Ablett went out of the game early against Adelaide and the Suns still looked pretty good... I think they are going to flog the Lions, and when you think about it pick 1-3 wont really matter for the GC. Francis in their team would be awesome

Ablett went out of the game early against Adelaide and the Suns still looked pretty good... I think they are going to flog the Lions, and when you think about it pick 1-3 wont really matter for the GC. Francis in their team would be awesome

It's a 50/50 call to me.

I'd lean towards Brisbane with the home ground advantage and midfield superiority with Gold Coast's absent midfield group.

If Brisbane lose, it's a loss only due to lack of want. They've got the more talented group available for selection.

It's a 50/50 call to me.

I'd lean towards Brisbane with the home ground advantage and midfield superiority with Gold Coast's absent midfield group.

If Brisbane lose, it's a loss only due to lack of want. They've got the more talented group available for selection.
I'd say we're likely going to start resting players for the year now

After yesterday's game. Any players in mind for first pick? If Schache, Weitering and Francis are taken
Curnow probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back