Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
We are has Callum Twoomey have both McKay brother going in the middle round off the first 11-16 going at these pick I would thought one off them could slip into the second or third off the draft have both improved that so which one will called out by the Western Bulldogs on draft in Adelaide

Late first round certainly for Harry has long been the consensus, and it's no surprise Ben is also climbing up draft boards and possibly into that range also. When you're tall and have a late year birthday, clubs do rightly allow for some extra growth, even if they're not dominant performers.

Still possible one or the other slips into that early second round range, but if clubs want talls mid/late first round, they will be gone by then.

x_les_x

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With port's first round most likely being traded due to Dixon or less likely redden and inside midfielders being labelled as a need from hinkley; who do you think would be available around our second/third round pick that would suit our need?

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Do you see a little bit of Andrew Gaff in Parish KM? trying to understand Parish as a player as he has an interesting mix of attributes

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
With port's first round most likely being traded due to Dixon or less likely redden and inside midfielders being labelled as a need from hinkley; who do you think would be available around our second/third round pick that would suit our need?

In the second round probably Clayton Oliver as an inside mid would make sense. The others around that point other than maybe Dunkley as a father son selection will be more speculative/open to interpretation selections which might lead Port Adelaide onto perhaps a mature ager. So as one example perhaps in the third round a Matt Hanson from Werribee may be considered.

Do you see a little bit of Andrew Gaff in Parish KM? trying to understand Parish as a player as he has an interesting mix of attributes

Parish isn't the running or endurance machine Gaff is and is a different type.

A best case scenario in terms of a type of player you would hope he develops into would be something more like a Dal Santo as that type of classy midfielder.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Assuming Collingwood will be using our first round pick on either Treloar or Aish, we will probably get Bris 2nd round pick in the mid 20s. Could Coll possibly get Dunkley?

Who are some competitive/aggressive players in the 20-50 range?

borderbarry

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
I cant believe you Collingwood people. you expect to get Tom Mitchell or Reid plus a draft pick for Witt! Surely it would be the other way around. And then there is the other one who expects Brisbane's 2nd draft pick if the maggies pick up Aish for their first round pick, probably at least 10, which is 3 more than what the Lions paid for Aish.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I cant believe you Collingwood people. you expect to get Tom Mitchell or Reid plus a draft pick for Witt! Surely it would be the other way around. And then there is the other one who expects Brisbane's 2nd draft pick if the maggies pick up Aish for their first round pick, probably at least 10, which is 3 more than what the Lions paid for Aish.
I meant if we use our first pick on Aish or we get Bris 2nd round pick for Seedsman.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Assuming Collingwood will be using our first round pick on either Treloar or Aish, we will probably get Bris 2nd round pick in the mid 20s. Could Coll possibly get Dunkley?

Who are some competitive/aggressive players in the 20-50 range?

With Dunkley it depends entirely on whether he nominates for father son with Sydney. It still is unclear, but the assumption anyway has mostly been that he will nominate until he doesn't.

In the scenario Dunkley doesn't nominate, he likely would go around pick 20.

In terms of a trade for Aish. I don't anticipate that we will need to trade our first round selection (though I would not necessarily oppose a deal of our first round pick for Aish and say West Coast's first's round pick which they probably receive for Redden). It might as an example be our second round pick and Seedsman, or this year and next year's second round picks. But who knows. Carlton may end up with Aish, with all the picks they are sure to receive through the moves they make this offseason. And Treloar may also end up at Carlton or Richmond, as two clubs who are thought to be aggressively going after Treloar.

Reid, Tippett and to a lesser extent Mitchell are made a lot less valuable than their on field performance suggests they are because of the size of their contracts. Absorbing Sam Reid or Kurt Tippett's contracts particularly would not be pleasant for clubs looking to add further players.

The greater take-home point should be that in Collingwood's situation is Collingwood have no motive to move Witts. Collingwood as ruckmen only have Grundy and then Cox as an international rookie. As a rule most clubs like more than one recognised number one ruckman and a project ruckman out of the United States.

And that brings me back to the suggestion that Sydney look to some other clubs with surplus and unwanted ruck stocks.

KM, just wondering if you know anything about Matt De Bruin, from Gippsland Power. I like his speed and agility.

Rookie draft chance?

He has been invited to the state screenings so like those others he is a rookie chance with a couple of clubs at least considering him, without his chances being particularly high.

De Bruin has shown good improvement over the second half of the season after a quiet first half of the season, and with his eye-catching game v Sandringham it will be those glimpses of something in addition to his improvement that will be what makes his case.

Failing getting drafted this year, given his improvement, De Bruin is one of those who I'd consider worth seeing again next season as he may just require that one more year developing.

Knightmare- are you familiar with a bloke by the name of Quigley down Gippsland Power 16s? This kid will be a gun.

I don't follow the u16s (due to lack of time) when I'm already at TAC Cup games most weeks, watching lots of AFL games and around that following the VFL/SANFL/WALF/NEAFL levels already.

So I'll have to for the time being take your word for it.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can you see anyone bidding on Darcy Macpherson?

My guess is it will be a similar pick to Zaine last year that is used (pick 50 odd). Hopefully after our third so that we can use that on Coughlan. But he is getting at least one full game in the VFL finals so if he does anything eye catching there anything could happen.

KM know much about Bailey Williams I heard he broke the disposal record in the SANFL 18's and has caught a few eyes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Can you see anyone bidding on Darcy Macpherson?

It's a possibility, but if there is a bid, it will be a late draft bid I'd imagine.

My guess is it will be a similar pick to Zaine last year that is used (pick 50 odd). Hopefully after our third so that we can use that on Coughlan. But he is getting at least one full game in the VFL finals so if he does anything eye catching there anything could happen.

KM know much about Bailey Williams I heard he broke the disposal record in the SANFL 18's and has caught a few eyes?

Williams is eligible this season. He can find the footy and hit the scoreboard. But he isn't super tall, light bodied and is not at all quick or athletic. So given that it's hard to see Williams selected.

Just wondering if you know much about Dandenong Stingrays player(captain I think??)
Lachy Batten?

Batten is a small at 175cm. Has missed some time this year. When he has played his production has only been mild and has probably overall looked best in defensive focused roles.

I don't buy into this being a shallow draft what so ever. In fact, quite the opposite.

Maybe drops off in top end talent but the depth of (possible) role players runs quite deep.

I don't agree with your assessment. It's not a good year for role players at all with very few players with obvious role playing potential and after mid second round it is not a year clubs will want selections.

That isn't to say clubs can't in the 3rd round or in the rookie draft find some good players. But my meaning instead is that it will be more difficult than most years with the evenness of those outside the top 20 or 25, and will require better than usual talent identification to make use make something happen with those selections.

May 18, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
A bit early.. but who are some names to look out for in next years crop? and based on what you know so far, does it look to be a strong or weak draft?

Wanna B Hird

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
A bit early.. but who are some names to look out for in next years crop? and based on what you know so far, does it look to be a strong or weak draft?
Definitely Josh Battle, Stingrays.
Bottom ager this year, has already got a manager.
Forward, only knock on him in my opinion is he tends to be a little lazy. Has now been included in the AIS. Matt Lloyd is a huge fan.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Will Brodie, Sam McLarty, Jonty Scharenberg, Ben Ainsworth, Jarrod Berry, Jy Simpkin, Jordan Gallucci, Jeremy Goddard, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Sam Powell-Pepper, Josh Rotham, Cameron Zurhaar, Jacob Allison and Brandon Parfitt are some of the names to look out for.

The strength of the draft probably is more suitable to talk about next season when we've seen who improves or fails to improve over the preseason and early parts of next season at least.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Any opinion on the top ten kicks in this draft? .....
Skippos is on record as having Aaron Francis, Harley Balic, Callum Ah Chee, Riley Bonner, Wayne Milera, Darcy Parish, Bailey Rice, Brayden Fiorini, Keiran Agius and Jacob Weitering on his shortlist of best kicks.
In no particular order of quality in terms of kicking.

Schache and Weitering as talls are incredible kicks by position and cases could be made that they're terrific kicks in their own right. Aaron Francis, Darcy Parish, Riley Bonner, Ben Keays, Luke Partington, Bailey Rice and Mitchell Hibberd are all terrific kicks who will get drafted ....
Two of those elite kicks in the draft would be fantastic for the Saints.

One of Aaron Francis,Darcy Parish, Harley Balic or Ben Keays ....

.... and one of Cal Ah Chee, Riley Bonner, Wayne Milera, Luke Partington, Mitch Hibberd, Bailey Rice or Brayden Fiorini

Very achievable I would reckon.

Last edited:

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

But borderbarry, witts and Seedsman are looking great playing vfl finals today. Probably worth top 10 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back