Kntfl

Remove this Banner Ad

I played in the kntfl a few years back and always thought penola showed great sportsmanship. Not good news about lucindale, I assume their problems are more to do with population. Will they fold? Can they merge with anyone?

I played in the kntfl a few years back and always thought penola showed great sportsmanship. Not good news about lucindale, I assume their problems are more to do with population. Will they fold? Can they merge with anyone?

I've had a few chats with Penola's coach and he's a good guy, but that day was a bit rough. When one of their senior players hits a kid behind play so bad that he needs an ambulance and the game is subsequently called off in the third quarter, you ask questions. When they go into the rooms afterwards and sing the song (they were ahead and a game called off after half time still constitutes a result) that is very rough.

Re: Lucindale. Population is a big thing. A couple of their locals have moved away but they also already had a large contingent of Adelaide players who have pulled the pin for one reason or another. The school there isn't as big as it used to be, with more kids boarding in the city now rather than studying at an agricultural school like LAS.

I'm currently in the process of starting a weekly article in the Border Watch paper on a round up of the KNTFL, this is my first article in that paper, here is what i wrote.

Round 2 brought some interesting results and there were no games more anticipated than the game between reigning premier Bordertown and the expected fast improving team in Penola. Penola are a team many think can challenge for the premiership and for three quarters they were proving it by leading by 32 points at three quarter time. Bordertown are a classy team though and put on an amazing last quarter when kicking 9-3 to 0-1 to come from behind and win by 24 points. Twin towers Nathan Fredrick and Tim Harkness kicked 11 goals between them as the Roosters ran over the Eagles. For the Eagles Bradley Merrett kicked 3 goals. Best for the Roosters were Adrian Stephens, Tim Harkness and Nathan Clark while Matthew Merrett, Drew Clayfield and Kane Ransom were great for the Eagles.

Arch rivals Lucindale and Kingston played out a thrilling draw, the Saints led by 34 points at one stage in the third quarter but the home side pegged them back and the exciting game ended up in a draw. Classy ruckman Mark Snowball was a stand out for the home side as he led from the front and Aaron Smart was a great force through the midfield. Sam Braidwood kicked 5 goals for the Saints and Ex Port Adelaide player Jake Hyland was outstanding for the Saints. Both teams will feel gutted as both are tipped to not win many games this season and this game ended up one that slipped away and neither team will feel happy about. Mark Snowball, Tristan Menz and Aaron Smart were great for the Roos while Ben Warner, Jake Hyland and Jacob Brown stood out for the Saints.

Mundulla came back from 14 points down at three quarter time to defeat Kyby by 17 points. In what seemed like a theme in the weekend games, another comeback was made possible with the Mundulla Tigers kicking 5-3 to Kyby 1-2 in the 4th quarter to steal the points. Rhys Williams kicked 3 goals for the winners while Scott Carberry kicked 4 goals for Kyby. Young gun Jake McGrice was named best for Mundulla, also named were Nick Davis and Sam Luckett who rounded out the top 3 players for the Moots. Kyby named Billy Laurie, Ray Jaensch and Darcy Munn as their top three players.

Keith continued their unbeaten run to start the season with a 66 point win against Padthaway. In what was a tight contest for three quarters, the Crows turned a three quarter time lead of 11 points in to a 66 point win. Adam Bradley kicked 6 goals for the Crows, Andrew Hunt and James McEntee helped out with 4 goals each. Tom McLennon kicked 3 goals for the Lions. Andrew Hunt, Craig Statham and Paul Makin were the Crows best while Peter Featherstone, Will Verco and Matthew Roscow were the best for the Lions.

Naracoorte continue to make statements early in the season and they made another one by thumping last seasons Grand Finalists Kaniva-Leeor by 82 points. Naracoorte opened the game up after half time kicking 13 goals to 1 to set up an impressive victory. Sam Logan led the Demons with 11 goals, Brett Gould kicked 3 himself, while for the Cougars, Shane Dodson managed to kick 2 goals to be the leading goal kicker for the visitors. Jake Gilbert, Sam Logan and Brett Gould led the charge for the Demons while James Turner, Paul Adlington and James Lyon fought on for the Cougars.

Round 3 sees two Anzac Day games with Kyby hosting Naracoorte and Penola hosting Border Districts, then on Saturday there are three games Kaniva-Leeor host Keith, Kingston host Bordertown and Padthaway host Lucindale.

Mundulla has the bye

I'm currently in the process of starting a weekly article in the Border Watch paper on a round up of the KNTFL, this is my first article in that paper, here is what i wrote.

Round 2 brought some interesting results and there were no games more anticipated than the game between reigning premier Bordertown and the expected fast improving team in Penola. Penola are a team many think can challenge for the premiership and for three quarters they were proving it by leading by 32 points at three quarter time. Bordertown are a classy team though and put on an amazing last quarter when kicking 9-3 to 0-1 to come from behind and win by 24 points. Twin towers Nathan Fredrick and Tim Harkness kicked 11 goals between them as the Roosters ran over the Eagles. For the Eagles Bradley Merrett kicked 3 goals. Best for the Roosters were Adrian Stephens, Tim Harkness and Nathan Clark while Matthew Merrett, Drew Clayfield and Kane Ransom were great for the Eagles.

Arch rivals Lucindale and Kingston played out a thrilling draw, the Saints led by 34 points at one stage in the third quarter but the home side pegged them back and the exciting game ended up in a draw. Classy ruckman Mark Snowball was a stand out for the home side as he led from the front and Aaron Smart was a great force through the midfield. Sam Braidwood kicked 5 goals for the Saints and Ex Port Adelaide player Jake Hyland was outstanding for the Saints. Both teams will feel gutted as both are tipped to not win many games this season and this game ended up one that slipped away and neither team will feel happy about. Mark Snowball, Tristan Menz and Aaron Smart were great for the Roos while Ben Warner, Jake Hyland and Jacob Brown stood out for the Saints.

Mundulla came back from 14 points down at three quarter time to defeat Kyby by 17 points. In what seemed like a theme in the weekend games, another comeback was made possible with the Mundulla Tigers kicking 5-3 to Kyby 1-2 in the 4th quarter to steal the points. Rhys Williams kicked 3 goals for the winners while Scott Carberry kicked 4 goals for Kyby. Young gun Jake McGrice was named best for Mundulla, also named were Nick Davis and Sam Luckett who rounded out the top 3 players for the Moots. Kyby named Billy Laurie, Ray Jaensch and Darcy Munn as their top three players.

Keith continued their unbeaten run to start the season with a 66 point win against Padthaway. In what was a tight contest for three quarters, the Crows turned a three quarter time lead of 11 points in to a 66 point win. Adam Bradley kicked 6 goals for the Crows, Andrew Hunt and James McEntee helped out with 4 goals each. Tom McLennon kicked 3 goals for the Lions. Andrew Hunt, Craig Statham and Paul Makin were the Crows best while Peter Featherstone, Will Verco and Matthew Roscow were the best for the Lions.

Naracoorte continue to make statements early in the season and they made another one by thumping last seasons Grand Finalists Kaniva-Leeor by 82 points. Naracoorte opened the game up after half time kicking 13 goals to 1 to set up an impressive victory. Sam Logan led the Demons with 11 goals, Brett Gould kicked 3 himself, while for the Cougars, Shane Dodson managed to kick 2 goals to be the leading goal kicker for the visitors. Jake Gilbert, Sam Logan and Brett Gould led the charge for the Demons while James Turner, Paul Adlington and James Lyon fought on for the Cougars.

Round 3 sees two Anzac Day games with Kyby hosting Naracoorte and Penola hosting Border Districts, then on Saturday there are three games Kaniva-Leeor host Keith, Kingston host Bordertown and Padthaway host Lucindale.

Mundulla has the bye
Tom McLennan* :)

The life of a journalist, just thought I'd help you out. I am unfortunately not Tom, I would've been very happy to dob 3 on the weekend though.

At least you guys played. Round one and then a bye is a big anti-climax. I've convinced myself the Bordertown game was a trial and it didn't matter.

At least you guys played. Round one and then a bye is a big anti-climax. I've convinced myself the Bordertown game was a trial and it didn't matter.
Oh I don't play for them, he's just a good mate and I follow them because I know a fair few of the lads who have had a run for them. That round one followed by a bye isn't ideal, after all the anticipation leading to the season, come out and have a run and feel good (hopefully) and then you have to wait 2 weeks before you're at it again. Convincing yourself it was a trial is a good way to go about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 3 of the Kowree Naracoorte-Tatiara saw a very different round of results with just one game ending up being close. the round started on Anzac Day where Naracoorte defeated Kyby by 121 points in a fizzer of a contest. these 2 teams have a great rivalry and Naracoorte has never lost to Kyby on Anzac Day. Sam Logan kicked 11 goals and Matt Gill kicked 4 goals for the winning Demons, while for the Tigers Dave Arnold kicked 2 goals. Naracoorte named Matt Gill, Mitch Hartree and Nathan Smith as their top 3 players, Kyby named Billy Laurie, Dylan Brodie and Ray Jaensch in their top best.
The other Anzac Day game was a blowout as well in the battle of the Eagles. Penola took apart Border Districts by 101 points. Penola kicked nine goals in the first quarter and never were headed for the remainder of the game. Adam Merrett kicked 7 goals for the winners while Clint Barras also kicked 7 goals but it was for the losing side. Kane Ransom, Bradley Merrett and Matthew Merrett were the 3 best players for Penola and for the Border Districts Eagles, Clint Barras, Brad Vallance and Josh Barras were named best.
Keith and Kaniva-Leeor had a tight tussle for three quarters until the Crows pulled away in the 4th quarter with an impressive 36 point win. Andrew Hunt continued his great start to the season with another 4 goals for the winning Crows team while Jared Greenbank, Steve Stallion and Kody Ross each kicked two goals each for the Cougars. Paul Makin, Dion Stratford and Charles Staples led the way for the Crows. the Cougars best contributors were Steve Stallion, James Turner and Charles Staples.
Bordertown proved too strong for a fighting Kingston, running out winners by 96 points in the end after the Saints put up a great fight for 3 quarters. The Roosters kicked 13 goals in the 4th quarter as Nathan Fredrick broke loose to kick 10 goals in the end. Adrian Stephens and Tim Harkness kicked 4 goals each as well for the Roosters, while for the Saints Sam Braidwood kicked 5 goals and Todd Reid kicked 3 goals. Steve Copestick, Nathan Fredrick and Nicolas Hewitt were named best, while for the Saints Jaime Austin, Ben Warner and Sam Braidwood were named as the Saints three best.
Padthaway had their biggest win of the season so far by beating Lucindale by 111 points as they look to get their season back on track. The Lions got their goals through a good even spread of goal kickers with Tom McLennan, Michael Hoffman and Alistair Dillon all kicking 4 goals each. Patrick Baker was the only multiple goal kicker for the Roos with 2 goals. Cody Marshall, Matthew Roscow and Kieran Hicks were best for the Lions, the Ross better players were Travis Ware, Henry Legoe and Tristan Menz.
This weeks games are Bordertown who host Padthaway in what should be a great game, these 2 teams have had some tight matches the past couple of seasons. Border Districts host Kingston at Goroke, the Eagles are the only team to have lost to the Saints in the past 2 seasons so they will be looking for revenge in this game. Keith play Kyby at home and will go in favourite to get the points, Kyby will be looking to be more competitive after a poor performance on Anzac Day. Lucindale host Kaniva-Leeor in a game that's vital for both teams to win to try and go up the ladder and not lose touch with the top 5 teams. Naracoorte host Mundulla in arguably the match of the round, the Moots will have to find a way to stop the demons amazing running game.

Right so now I know who you are kingkingston, we have interacted a bit irl. I promise I am not a stalker.

News now is Jay Zeuner will miss two games due to suspension - a very disappointing result. He was yellow-carded on the weekend for a high tackle which he eventually got the suspension for. Umpire cited him for striking - I honestly don't think it would have even been worth a yellow had it been done by any other player. Some players have a target on their back and I feel in this case that Jay is one of them. That is just my opinion I guess.

Great win by Borders at Padthaway on Saturday. Wind favouring one end heavily, Paddy got five goals ahead in the first, then we grabbed the lead before half time.

Held them up a bit in the third to be three goals down at 3 quarter time. They kicked some goals against the flow and we looked cooked but Tim Crick marked and goaled from 50 to put us one point down, then Stu Ferenci did the same to put us five points up. Padthaway got forward but only managed a behind then the siren went after the kick out.

Has the latest review been released. I have heard from a good source that there will definitely be changes, but wouldn't say what.

Has the latest review been released. I have heard from a good source that there will definitely be changes, but wouldn't say what.

I haven't heard anything. Things have been business as usual, bit quiet on that front up this way.

Apparently the WBFL are chasing Penola hard, that was the last word I had back in April.

Looks like the final five is set already with Bordertown, Naracoorte, Keith, Penola & Mundulla.
Predictions for the rest of the year?

Top five has been set for months. Predicting a Naracoorte vs Bordertown grand final. Penola need to fix their leaky defense, Mundulla aren't quite as good as the rest, Keith not sure but think the Demons and Roosters will be better in the long run.

Padthaway the real disappointment of the year. A lot of talent but no results.

that was my predicted 5 at the start of the season

Saw your article in the Border Watch - Mark Lemon kicked our other goal in that game, not Hirst. Scorecard was Crick 8, Barras 5, Lemon 1 (How the hell did we win that game?)

Top five has been set for months. Predicting a Naracoorte vs Bordertown grand final. Penola need to fix their leaky defense, Mundulla aren't quite as good as the rest, Keith not sure but think the Demons and Roosters will be better in the long run.

Padthaway the real disappointment of the year. A lot of talent but no results.

Penola have lost a lot of close ones and have blown 4-5 goal leads against some of the best teams.

so i don't think they will get top 3

big game next week Penola vs Bordertown

Bit of controversy at the Borders/Penola game yesterday.

Borders ruckman and Penola's ruckman went toe to toe. Penola ruckman throws first punch then gets his arse handed to him. Result: straight red to Borders ruckman (photo evidence shows Penola ruckman with both thumbs in Borders ruckman's eyes during the initial grapple).

No penalty to Penola ruckman, who plays on despite having no idea where he was.

Borders play the best part of a half with 17 on the field because umpires wouldn't let them replace the guy after 20 minutes.

Borders eventually put another man on and penola call a count, only for the Penola bench (credit to them) to alert the umpire that Borders were indeed entitled to have 18 on the field.

In the end it has been admitted the straight red was a mistake but I think a tribunal visit is still in order. Too bad photos can't be used, they were quite incriminating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back