Society/Culture Kony 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

proclaimed 'cover the night' is on tomorrow. i expect to see a few posters saturday morning, but nothing like everyone stated they were really going to get amongst and fight this cause.

It would be great if someone could upsize these and put them in the street next to the Kony posters the hipsters are putting up.

KONY+2012_66852e_3424262.jpg

tumblr_m0l4tbk5VW1qhxyrwo1_400.jpg

wants-to-bring-down-kony-still-doesn-t-care-about-other-world-issues-ad1125.jpg

Reports are Invisbile Children's "Cover The Night" failed miserably.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/21/kony-2012-campaign-uganda-warlord
The Kony 2012 Cover the Night campaign woke up to awkward questions on Saturday after activists failed to blanket cities with posters of the wanted Ugandan warlord, Joseph Kony.

The movement's phenomenal success in mobilising young people online, following last month's launch of a 29-minute documentary which went viral, flopped in trying to turn that into real world actions.

The campaign aimed to plaster "every city, on every block" around the world with posters, stickers and murals of Kony to pressure governments into hunting down the guerrilla leader, who has waged a brutal, decades-long insurgency in central Africa.

But paltry turnouts on Friday at locations across north America, Europe and Australia left cities largely unplastered and the movement's credibility damaged. "What happened to all the fuss about Kony?" said one typical tweet. "Kony is so last month," said another.

"REMEMBER how we were all gonna stop Kony ourselves a month ago and now CoverTheNight is tomorrow and we completely forgot about it?"
In 130 characters, Nebraskan tweeter Alex Hosier described the cynicism surrounding the social media-driven campaign against African warlord Joseph Kony.
Just one month after one YouTube video made by American charity Invisible Children shot to almost 88 million views, a general sense of apathy appeared to have engulfed the Twittersphere yesterday as the world waited for Cover the Night, the April 20 worldwide call to action.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/k...er-of-night-20120421-1xd60.html#ixzz1siofor10

Further reading:http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Kony-2012-s-Cover-the-Night-continues-despite-3499509.php

Even those few posters who originally defended the campaigns intentions have long since posting in this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the scepticism displayed my many came to fruition.

Where to now for Russell and 'Invisible Children'?
How long will the US 'support' remain in Uganda to apprehend Kony?
Will Kony ever be caught? Does anyone genuinely care?
What will come out now in the wash as the verdict of facebook/twitter/youtube activism?
What will Russell and 'Invisible Children' do with all the millions they have raised?

the 'kony is so last month' is half the reason. by the time the cover the night actually came along none of the younger generations care. i think if they could have done this within a week or two after the video it may have had some success. i don't perceive many didn't do it after breaking down and analsying the issue as a whole (part of my reason i dislike the kony movement) but more people just didn't see it is a hip thing

I saw a few posters but all in the same area. Obviously all put up by a group of losers or an individual. The whole thing was a load of s**t in the first place.

Found a poster on a power pole in Stafford on my drunken walk home on Friday night.

This was spray painted onto a memorial erected in 1889 for the victims of the Boston massacre.
f3CLL.jpg

Invisible Children, do do irony well.

meta. Invisible indeed

is Thursday night a uni night in US o' A too? 3 dollar pots, 4 dollar spirits?

haha. It really brightens my day when I manage to understand what you are on about blackcat.

It's utterly typical of the armchair activists. Nobody did anything when he was actually active in his criminal activity.

Too little too late and absolutely pointless, but hey lets click and share a link and feel better about ourselves.

Morons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back