Society/Culture Kony 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

I trust that IC supporters are happy that it is funded by right wing religious nut jobs?

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy...unded-by-antigay-creationist-christian-right/

Cheers for the link, DR. It led me to a few other things, one of which is a strong condemnation of IC by a scholar based in northern Uganda:

http://misr.mak.ac.ug/index.php?opt...isible-children&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

He rips them a new one - discusses his previous frustration with them and how they're now providing a pretext for US militarisation. I'm still interested, especially given what he says, in finding more detail on IC's funding sources - a look at USAID has shown that they have links but no detail or figures.

Everyone please watch the Kony video. By watching it and liking every status made on Facebook we can all put the bad man away from the comforts of our arm chair. Don't worry about getting up and making effort, all our problems can be solved through the click of a button.

They have certainly managed to achieve their primary goal.
You can't argue with that.

You could argue that a lot of other similarly "goaled" organizations have come out swinging in full refute of the benefits, with a remarkable "pro-activity" rarely seen in their day to day business.

It's actually a bit of a shock to see one of these causes get some real effect.

Call me cynical, but most of those poo pooing the Kony effort are famously lackadaisical in any form of actual action, just, lots and lots of talk, wasted funds and procrastination.

You could argue that a lot of other similarly "goaled" organizations have come out swinging in full refute of the benefits, with a remarkable "pro-activity" rarely seen in their day to day business.

Call me cynical, but most of those poo pooing the Kony effort are famously lackadaisical in any form of actual action, just, lots and lots of talk, wasted funds and procrastination.

I wouldn't call you cynical, Pie eyed, but you're usually better informed than this. Do you think what IC is doing is good? Ignoring larger problems and ignoring organisations who have been doing hard work in northern Uganda for years while - deliberately or not - encouraging militarisation of a problem?

so are you prepared for a child rapist to walk free, phil?

Pretty much what Donners said - it doesn't address the actual issue. Are you prepared to have your thoughts and actions influenced by people who are distorting an issue, possibly with a hidden agenda?

tc[YOUTUBE]euXQbZDwV0w[/YOUTUBE]

So this uganda right? these people don't like kony right? and we are training them , right? and invisible children want us to help them more , right?
So Is Kony gay and/or invisible children a front for those evangelical americans fundementaly opposed to homosexuality?

Well acoording to reports Kony is down to 200 fighters....and that only 32% of revenue goes to uganda and if the latest NBS ineview aired yesterday is to go by they (invisible children) are not interesting in discussion only projecting a media line....

well?

What a waste of internet that post was...

I trust that IC supporters are happy that it is funded by right wing religious nut jobs?

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy...unded-by-antigay-creationist-christian-right/

Yes, the less money they have the better.

Cheers for the link, DR. It led me to a few other things, one of which is a strong condemnation of IC by a scholar based in northern Uganda:

http://misr.mak.ac.ug/index.php?opt...isible-children&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

He rips them a new one - discusses his previous frustration with them and how they're now providing a pretext for US militarisation. I'm still interested, especially given what he says, in finding more detail on IC's funding sources - a look at USAID has shown that they have links but no detail or figures.

Wouldn't exactly say he rips them a new one, but I found this part interesting

Which brings up the question that I am constantly asked in the US: “What can we do?” where “we” tends to mean relatively privileged Americans. In response, and as a contribution to the debate going on in the US about Kony 2012, I have a few proposals. The first, perhaps not surprising from a professor, is to learn. The conflict in northern Uganda and central Africa is complicated, yes—but not impossible to understand. For several years, I have taught an undergraduate class on the conflict, and, although it takes some time and effort, the students end up informed enough to be able to come to their own opinions about what can be done.

So IC opening eyes and bringing attention to a situation in some ways will help this, whether you agree with them or not, they have definitely shone a spotlight on an area that most would be fairly ignorant of.

Everyone please watch the Kony video. By watching it and liking every status made on Facebook we can all put the bad man away from the comforts of our arm chair. Don't worry about getting up and making effort, all our problems can be solved through the click of a button.

Doing nothing achieves less.

Agree 100%

Despite the many factual errors in this "documentary" it does illustrate the power of social media in terms of awareness and the rapid spread of issues or a meme if you like.
It now becomes a question of translating agitation into action.
What next?

Conned into supporting them, an organisation which has received substantial funding from right wing wing religious nut cases.

Got a problem with your sense of smell?

Funding does not = control...Oprah gives more than any of the fundies do.

Conservative churches have donated to political parties in Australia, should we now fear our political parties because of this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funding does not = control...Oprah gives more than any of the fundies do.

Conservative churches have donated to political parties in Australia, should we now fear our political parties because of this?

IIRC not as substantial proportion as the IC dodgy backers. This might help you

claratyne_10mg_tablets_10.jpg

IIRC not as substantial proportion as the IC dodgy backers. This might help you

I don't like some of the views of Terry Caster, but his foundation does give money to numerous other causes/charities...are you suspicious of them all.

I don't really care if he has donated money to the Yes on 8 campaign, viewing the threads on this site, there seems to be many people that are seriously against gay marriage, doesn't bother me, but I don't care that he wants to campaign against it, he has a right to voice his opinion, just as any business, union or mining billionaire in Australia has a right to voice/publicise their opinion on the issues that they feel concerned about.

I wouldn't call you cynical, Pie eyed, but you're usually better informed than this. Do you think what IC is doing is good? Ignoring larger problems and ignoring organisations who have been doing hard work in northern Uganda for years while - deliberately or not - encouraging militarisation of a problem?

Pretty much what Donners said - it doesn't address the actual issue. Are you prepared to have your thoughts and actions influenced by people who are distorting an issue, possibly with a hidden agenda?

I would not make the distinction so swiftly.
IC have a stated goal which they seem to be remarkably quickly moving toward achieving.

Everyday I see a plea for donations to this or that "cause", are any of these causes causing me to ignore another? Does giving time or money to say breast Cancer diminish homelessness among children?

While I don't fully support or condone every word coming out of IC I admire their momentum, something you could not accuse many of their rival organisations of having.

GlennaGordon_InvisibleChildrenA.jpg

Just a reminder where the money donated to these clowns goes.

Normally when I see images of charity workers they are handing out cups of water or biscuits for starving kids to eat.

Not packing heat in "I'm a prep school w***er on safari" style photo.

son-of-rambow.jpg

son-of-rambow-poster.jpg

cover1.PNG

Smithy, like the juxtapostion not packing heat and w***ers. nice.

so are you prepared for a child rapist to walk free, phil?
if u want to trade commodities in china, they have an exchange in shanghai where u can buy tea by the tonne, they have been trading out of their since the hongkers merchants and traders took to capitalism like the medici familty. Do well with your straw man ;)

Both excellent - love the rap news. Out of interest, I posted that Adam Branch article on facebook yesterday and suggested people share with whoever shared the video. So far I have one share.

Despite the many factual errors in this "documentary" it does illustrate the power of social media in terms of awareness and the rapid spread of issues or a meme if you like.
It now becomes a question of translating agitation into action.
What next?

Now take Rebbecca Brooks employers influence of the viral nature of Kony and we would have?

Look at the list of "war crimanals that doesnt include blair bush or howard" and where they say they will start from ? it has dead people on it and chemical ali..(long gone)

But that is it , what next, is this a start to something as you got to start somewhere, if they went for the real ones first would rebbecca brooks cronies bitten or destroyed tham as they have julian Assange? or are these Kony people building up a rep to overcome the Rebbecca brooks types before they fight back?

Intriguing...

But 1 week later in social media they mostly have forgotten...

GlennaGordon_InvisibleChildrenA.jpg

Just a reminder where the money donated to these clowns goes.

Normally when I see images of charity workers they are handing out cups of water or biscuits for starving kids to eat.

Not packing heat in "I'm a prep school w***er on safari" style photo.
They hunting ivory?
hehheheeh very good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back