KPF Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

That McStay is sticking pack marks at all as a second year player is a big tick for me whether he is crashing the pack or timing it from the side it doesn't really matter.

He can see the flight and has the touch and strength in his hands to clunk them already. As he builds more strength and experience he should be able to get them standing his ground or jumping over a pack in a few years time if he keeps on his development curve. He has the building blocks to literally be anything in 3-4 years time... unless of course KPFs keep on getting taller and everyone writes off any forward under 6'6" like they seem to with those who are only 6'3"-4" now...

That McStay is sticking pack marks at all as a second year player is a big tick for me whether he is crashing the pack or timing it from the side it doesn't really matter.

He can see the flight and has the touch and strength in his hands to clunk them already. As he builds more strength and experience he should be able to get them standing his ground or jumping over a pack in a few years time if he keeps on his development curve. He has the building blocks to literally be anything in 3-4 years time... unless of course KPFs keep on getting taller and everyone writes off any forward under 6'6" like they seem to with those who are only 6'3"-4" now...

True, but he really needs to work harder to get involved in the game. His 2 disposals against Port when we were up and running is just not really good enough for a key forward.

While he has got a great leap, I think he is got a bad tendency to not lead but instead stand a couple of metres behind his opponent and look for mark over the top.

His game against Carlton should be the benchmark he tries to repeat every week (not that he will, but it is what he should aim for). Getting to far more contests and leading far more is the main thing. I think he really needs to work on his aerobic fitness rather than his strength.

True, but he really needs to work harder to get involved in the game. His 2 disposals against Port when we were up and running is just not really good enough for a key forward.

While he has got a great leap, I think he is got a bad tendency to not lead but instead stand a couple of metres behind his opponent and look for mark over the top.

His game against Carlton should be the benchmark he tries to repeat every week (not that he will, but it is what he should aim for). Getting to far more contests and leading far more is the main thing. I think he really needs to work on his aerobic fitness rather than his strength.

I agree with all of that LOTR, but I'm not sure how much KPF experience did McStay had as a junior.

It seems to me that he's still learning about the leading/running patterns required of a KPF, but with every game at senior level should come some incremental knowledge of those things

I agree with all of that LOTR, but I'm not sure how much KPF experience did McStay had as a junior.

It seems to me that he's still learning about the leading/running patterns required of a KPF, but with every game at senior level should come some incremental knowledge of those things

He always gets his mandatory lead, mark, convert in the first 5 minutes of most games. But then nothing after that.

With McStays build he shouldn't just be relying on the over the top grab as his main weapon. He isn't strong enough to not get knocked off balance while going in for the jump so I would really like to see him move about a bit more and get about 4 or 5 marks on the lead. He is quick enough to get separation so I don't see how he could be struggling with this.

MCstay is on target for 30 goals this year (10 from 7 games = 30 from 21 games)... I'd take that from any second year player who will be a teenager for half the season and especially a key forward.

30 goals from him, 40 from Green (12 from 7 = 36 from 21) is a pretty handy start to building a forward line for the future. Close and Freeman have shown some signs and options to bring in others through draft/free agency.

Like most things, only time will tell. Absolutely he has things to work on, but has to be given the time to work on them. No-one thinks he is a terrific finished product, and equally, no-one should expect him to be even nearly complete, at this stage or in the very near future. Plenty to work on, but showing plenty as well.

Oh definitely, there are lots of things missing in his forward craft so far, and if we have the same things to say in two or three years then we have a problem. That we have even got a game of the quality he had against Carlton is an anomaly in a 1st/2nd year key forward which is either a flash in the pan or a sign of great things to come.

I think he will probably either kick around 60 goals in his career or more than 600, the way he is going, rather than ending up somewhere in between.

He's not lazy or timid and his main glaring weaknesses should be fixed with instruction and experience rather than waiting for the penny to drop and magically fix something. For someone who has barely trained as a forward he has good instincts, they just need to be bolstered with learning the craft and developing his body.

His options will be to take a pay cut at Port, or take a pay cut wherever he goes.
He certainly wouldn't be worth top dollar at the age of 30.
I think he'd take a pay cut to remain at his club, with a good chance to be playing finals and possible premiership in the next couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back