KPF Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't follow the logic here Chopperduck. Why settle for makeshift for half a decade?
McGuane and Martin are well and truly makeshift. Michael, Staker and Paperone aren't true key forwards. I think Lisle will be good enough to play as our full forward once Brown retires and isn't makeshift. We certainly don't have a gun top-10 pick key forward to work with but the options are looking okay. I say we go best available at our first pick in the draft regardless of whether they are a mid, half back or KPP.

That said our midfield depth isn't something that needs urgent attention. The 3 R's, Mayes, Hanley, Zorko, Green, Beams, Crisp and Lester make up a very good midfield group for the next ten years, but still a really high quality mid at our first pick could just improve it that bit more. Premiership teams in recent years haven't always had particularly good key forwards but all have had star-studded and deep midfields. Best available is best in my opinion.

Don't follow the logic here Chopperduck. Why settle for makeshift for half a decade?

I think because there is only going to be the one really promising key forward in McCarthy at our first pick, and I'd consider taking him at pick 7/8 a reach(. And after that, there are not too many worth taking a punt on. So I'd be taking a couple of midfielders and a couple of HBF's.

Whereas in 2014 you've got guys like Goddard, McCartin, Wright and a couple of others who at this stage, look like being top prospects. All of whom I would rate higher than McCarthy. Then there's the development which can take 3+ years before they really start making an impact.

So unless someone like Freeman turn out to be a ripper, we might not have much of a choice.

Unless we can trade a tall in.

Out of necessity. If we are unable to land a top KPF via trade or FA (or there aren't any decent ones available) then we need to keep drafting a few options, keep developing them. In the mean time, you use what you have, and you put together the best forward line you can with what we either have available on the list, or can acquire via trade or FA. We've brought Lisle, Staker and Martin in via trade recently, all 3 are likely to spend significant time in our senior forward line alongside Brown. This has happened because we haven't been able to develop and get anything out of our other players developing. We now have Michael, Close and Freeman, all young developing KPF type players, but they are all a few years away from being able to play 22 games and hold down a spot. So, until we give these guys a few years and can see if they are going to make it or not, we go with what we have.

The main reason for the time period is simply the time required to develop a young KPF to the point where they could play 22 games and hold down a spot, granted if they are any good they can probably play some senior footy before hand, but the forward line is still likely to be heavily comprised of the current options, ie, Martin/Lisle. I've left Paps out of this as i see him being groomed as Stakers replacement as the 3rd tall forward, leaving 2 KPF spots.

Out of necessity. If we are unable to land a top KPF via trade or FA (or there aren't any decent ones available) then we need to keep drafting a few options, keep developing them. In the mean time, you use what you have, and you put together the best forward line you can with what we either have available on the list, or can acquire via trade or FA. We've brought Lisle, Staker and Martin in via trade recently, all 3 are likely to spend significant time in our senior forward line alongside Brown. This has happened because we haven't been able to develop and get anything out of our other players developing. We now have Michael, Close and Freeman, all young developing KPF type players, but they are all a few years away from being able to play 22 games and hold down a spot. So, until we give these guys a few years and can see if they are going to make it or not, we go with what we have.

The main reason for the time period is simply the time required to develop a young KPF to the point where they could play 22 games and hold down a spot, granted if they are any good they can probably play some senior footy before hand, but the forward line is still likely to be heavily comprised of the current options, ie, Martin/Lisle. I've left Paps out of this as i see him being groomed as Stakers replacement as the 3rd tall forward, leaving 2 KPF spots.

I think it needs to be factored in that all of our options are fairly long shots to make it. Close, Michael, Lisle and Freeman aren't exactly going to making the opposition jealous.
Obviously you don't want to overlook a quality mid for another long shot, but I think our urgency for a quality key forward is still as strong as ever. Settling for a makeshift forward line for so long should only be a last resort imo.

I think it needs to be factored in that all of our options are fairly long shots to make it. Close, Michael, Lisle and Freeman aren't exactly going to making the opposition jealous.
Obviously you don't want to overlook a quality mid for another long shot, but I think our urgency for a quality key forward is still as strong as ever. Settling for a makeshift forward line for so long should only be a last resort imo.
I think that's where we're at.:(

Potential 2014 Spearheads

It’s arguably the most important part of the game and for the Brisbane Lions, kicking goals has been the major responsibility of one champion of the game.
After topping the tally in 2013, Jonathan Brown has now kicked the most goals in a season for the merged Club a record five times; surpassing Alastair Lynch’s previous best of four.

Brown’s 28 goals last season were enough to hand him the title last year, although four of his teammates (Dayne Zorko, Josh Green and Brent Staker) also reached the twenties.

But with the Lions’ Co-Captain set to turn 33 at the end of next season, is it time for the mantle to be passed over to another, or will a year at full forward gift Brown his sixth goal-kicking award at the Club?

We now know he has elite endurance and he can probably put on the necessary weight to be a KPF, but the real question is, can he play? That's the great unknown at the moment.

can he kick enough goals? Hasn't that always been the problem? From what I have seen and read its his ability to kick a bag and change a game that he has been lacking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen Close kick a few goals in the ressies ... he's definitely got a little work to do if he wants to be a regular in the 22 .. but he is a great runner, and he's really bulked up.

In terms of who he should swap with - who knows. Our forward structure is completely up in the air at the moment apart from Browndog.

Vossy had a bunch of guys in and out all season up front, including Dan M, who will be down back.

I've seen Close kick a few goals in the ressies ... he's definitely got a little work to do if he wants to be a regular in the 22 .. but he is a great runner, and he's really bulked up.

In terms of who he should swap with - who knows. Our forward structure is completely up in the air at the moment apart from Browndog.

Vossy had a bunch of guys in and out all season up front, including Dan M, who will be down back.

Hopefully he can get back to the form he showed a year or two back.

It'll be great to have our key defender as someone to be feared ... I reckon J Clark has been watching DM closely and will be of similar attitude down there. Can't get enough of his hip-and-shoulder that got him suspended.

Yeah, we have a few aggressive young defenders, Clarke being one. Gardiner is aggressive too, also a very determined young man.

Pretty happy with our KPD stocks at the moment.

Without the crying.
op_riewoldt_wideweb__430x319,1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back