Kris Pendlebury walks out on Collingwood VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck to him, but seriously he was never going to make it as a top class AFL defender in a team competing for a flag, so we did the right thing in never making him a rookie, as harsh as it sounds.

The question then becomes; Who will be our VFL captain in 2013?

O'Brien :p

It's a shame to see him go ultra competitive 1v1 and a solid leader, whether or not the club indicated he was a chance of getting drafted(I'm sure they would encourage all their VFL players to aim for a senior list position) or not it seems like a bit of a self important decision, clearly we have superior facilities, doctors, coaches etc compared to Werribee so I can't see his chances of getting drafted becoming more likely next year.

He certainly gave his all for the Pies but agree with pretty much everyone else, just not quite equipped for AFL footy.

But he obviously considered his options and felt this was the way to go, so I wish him well and hope he achieves his ambitions, as he deserves to.

Like Dawes, he may have seen himself a little squeezed after the VFL recuiting and also Keefe effectively being another recruit, and decided for greener pastures.

Are people reading too much into his decision to move? Has he made any comments about a disappointment with Collingwood?

I wouldn't be surprised if he feels his chances of getting the most out of his career and maximise his potential to get interest from an AFL club is to play in a stronger VFL side where he has a much better opportunity to compete and show his potential. It is much harder as a defender if you are lacking the support up the field.

Werribee have recruited quite strongly over the pre-season, you wouldn't begrudge a guy from wanting to have some success at whatever level. Collingwood only treat the team as a development platform, it is difficult for someone with no pathway forward to just cop the bad aspects of being a development platform.

A few harsh judgements here. Any player has the right to be disappointed if he is passed over within the system he has chosen to commit to, if he gives his best. Kris Pendlebury is in this position, and is not likely to feel good about it. His brother isn't either, and it will depend on how Scott views his brother's treatment as to whether there are consequences in down the road contract negotiations.
Nothing exists in isolation. There may be no fallout, but it should surprise no one if there is. Players are not machines, families matter more than football clubs, and most people will pay back those that they see as the causes of family harm. I have no idea what the Pendleburys think of Kris's treatment by Collingwood. They may see it as entirely reasonable, or as a cause for resentment. Collingwood management needs to know which, and have their future actions planned accordingly.

Have not watched many VFL games but when i did he never really stood out as someone who could play AFL

Glad we signed Pendles to 5 years and he will be captain by the time his out of contract

Understandable decision, he obviously is still holding out for his AFL dream and it is not going to happen at Collingwood, so he is having one last crack with Werribee.

No hard feelings, no harm done.

would care if it was scott, kris? meh dont give a s**t
unlisted vfl top ups are exactly that.....could not give a toss about them....
good move for him, go to werribee and have a crack....needs to play a role outside of deep defensive, a midfield role or something....good luck to him

A few harsh judgements here. Any player has the right to be disappointed if he is passed over within the system he has chosen to commit to, if he gives his best. Kris Pendlebury is in this position, and is not likely to feel good about it. His brother isn't either, and it will depend on how Scott views his brother's treatment as to whether there are consequences in down the road contract negotiations.
Nothing exists in isolation. There may be no fallout, but it should surprise no one if there is. Players are not machines, families matter more than football clubs, and most people will pay back those that they see as the causes of family harm. I have no idea what the Pendleburys think of Kris's treatment by Collingwood. They may see it as entirely reasonable, or as a cause for resentment. Collingwood management needs to know which, and have their future actions planned accordingly.

His brothers treatment? his brother didn't get drafted, that doesn't mean he was treated poorly, he was treated like every other draft hopeful. The other 17 clubs ALSO didn't take kris, so no reason to be angry at Collingwood.

You are making it sound like collingwood back stabbed kris just because he wasn't good enough to get drafted, and the whole pendlebury clan is out for blood... what a dramatization !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Kangaroos divide their players between Werribee and North Ballarat so there are 10-12 or more spots up for grabs most weeks at Werribee whereas sometimes there might be none or 1 with Collingwood VFL. Werribee also lost their FB Hartigan to the draft, another key defender Mangan to the SANFL, and another defender in O'Dwyer. They also lost their tall forwards Cam Pederson to the Dees, McKinlay and Warren delisted. So they probably made Pendles a good offer and knowing his AFL chances are over he made a decision to go to he club where he would be guaranteed a game and probably a bigger pay cheque.

His brothers treatment? his brother didn't get drafted, that doesn't mean he was treated poorly, he was treated like every other draft hopeful. The other 17 clubs ALSO didn't take kris, so no reason to be angry at Collingwood.

You are making it sound like collingwood back stabbed kris just because he wasn't good enough to get drafted, and the whole pendlebury clan is out for blood... what a dramatization !

No, I'm saying we are dealing with human beings, who do not always react logically to events. There are often unintended consequences to things like this. My point was that the club needs to be aware of this fact of human nature and be prepared for it. The management there should know if there were any false impressions given, unintentionally or otherwise. I certainly don't.

Are people reading too much into his decision to move? Has he made any comments about a disappointment with Collingwood?

I wouldn't be surprised if he feels his chances of getting the most out of his career and maximise his potential to get interest from an AFL club is to play in a stronger VFL side where he has a much better opportunity to compete and show his potential. It is much harder as a defender if you are lacking the support up the field.

Werribee have recruited quite strongly over the pre-season, you wouldn't begrudge a guy from wanting to have some success at whatever level. Collingwood only treat the team as a development platform, it is difficult for someone with no pathway forward to just cop the bad aspects of being a development platform.

^This. Jeez people are reading way too much into the situation.

Kris has to look out for himself and owes nothing to the Collingwood football club if his chances of making it on an AFL list can be increased by playing elsewhere. It's likely that he also wants more time up the ground, possibly on the ball. You have to remember that the reason we're a stand alone club is to develop our players and not to win VFL premierships. Kids are groomed in positions in the VFL side so they're ready to play that role in the AFL even though there are older, more experienced players like Kris who would have a better output in that position next season.

Sure, it would be great to see the VFL side win a flag but if that was our number one priority we'd just raid the other clubs for bigger bodied and more experienced players.

^This. Jeez people are reading way too much into the situation.

Kris has to look out for himself and owes nothing to the Collingwood football club if his chances of making it on an AFL list can be increased by playing elsewhere. It's likely that he also wants more time up the ground, possibly on the ball. You have to remember that the reason we're a stand alone club is to develop our players and not to win VFL premierships. Kids are groomed in positions in the VFL side so they're ready to play that role in the AFL even though there are older, more experienced players like Kris who would have a better output in that position next season.

Sure, it would be great to see the VFL side win a flag but if that was our number one priority we'd just raid the other clubs for bigger bodied and more experienced players.
To a certain degree we HAVE drafted some big bodied and experienced players from other clubs but not to the extent of crippling the young guys development.

Seems like the list is being balanced to allow the group to taste finals participation, this not only supplies us with back up players match fit for the AFL side's finals campaign but gives invaluable finals experience to the young group, further grooming them for eventual AFL duties.

Hi Kris - I figure you might actually read this forum - I want to let you know that I relate to your situation. Your in a shitty situation m8 and I can see how hard it is. I've been following your career over the last couple of years and hoping you would get an opportunity. Your the elder brother of a successful player and obviously have a passion for the same field, but has been publicly unsuccessful to date. Truth be told I've not seen you play (I'm in qld) but to be captain, b&f and week in week out mentioned as commendable, then not get an opportunity must seem unjust.

It might seem abstract but I'm an artist, and to be an artist is to perpetually use the term 'wear your heart on your sleeve' your performance is always out there being judged by your peers. I for one don't think you've come up short. To be captain and so forth must mean you're well respected and valuable. Their decision I think is a poor one but don't dwell on it. Your a great footballer and the decision is touch and go at best. Doesn't mean your value is linked to football.

Merry Christmas m8 and best for the future...

Fair enough. Wasn't working out for him so he's trying his luck elsewhere. Can't blame him for that.

I like the headline "Collingwood in shock as Captain Pendlebury walks out, 2 weeks into preseason training"

Wouldn't be surprised if Caro makes it tomorrow :p
Caro would probably add further bullshit and write how the Collingwood staff were treating him badly and that maybe his brother should follow his footsteps. Wouldn't be surprised, she makes women in sport look so bad.

Caro would probably add further bullshit and write how the Collingwood staff were treating him badly and that maybe his brother should follow his footsteps. Wouldn't be surprised, she makes women look so bad.

Edited for accuracy.:cool:

Good luck to Kris, shocked and disappointed to see him go but I know how I would've felt if the club took 3 VFL players before me in the rookie draft. I probably wouldn't have cracked the sads (not saying he did...) and left the team but still he does deserve better opportunities.

He left several weeks into preseason training... imagine how damaging that will be for the rest of the squad, seeing your captain have a dummy spit at the club and walk out after training with him for weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back